Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December/January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

30 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm pretty happy with the 12z eps and the differences from 0z. The most noticeable height differences between the 2 runs is higher heights  over GL, deeper eastern trough, bigger ridge in the EPO region, and the trop PV near Siberia is much weaker. We really need to hope the weeklies week 3 is right with timing and placement and 12z EPS was def a step towards the week 3 look. 

Can you remind me what dates week 3 correlate to? 

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

I'm convinced that is where we will end up as soon as we get the mjo out of phases 3-6. It's just a matter of when. 

Per NCEP plot one could argue that there seems to be a lessening in amplitude, but if its right and amplitude starts to increase and head towards 6 in the next couple days, that we would start to see signs of the promise land (in regards to perty maps to look at).

I know some are doing the Jan-March later winter cold and snowy dance but we are in trouble and heading for more. Zip in Dec and New Years is now getting pushed back. Trends are hard to break and we gotta get out of the “lows to the west trend” I would caution against the SSW emphasis as our savior as its unproven. Never did see a big snow winter, two or three events of 4-6” each gets me to my 12-15” call and Jan 1/2 which back on 12/15 looked promising now looks like 50-60. That’s gotta stop, the first can’t become the 10Th which then becomes the 20th.

its hard to snow around DC, we need a lot of cooperation and last 30 days have not provided it and nothing favorable really looming 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Trying to cut off at 150. Thermals are marginal but a decent run 

All the EPS members that worked (around 10 or so) were quick/progressive evolutions. 18z Gfs is splitting the difference between cutting off and making haste. Just a gut call but i dont think a crawling cutoff is the most likely progression 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

All the EPS members that worked (around 10 or so) were quick/progressive evolutions. 18z Gfs is splitting the difference between cutting off and making haste. Just a gut call but i dont think a crawling cutoff is the most likely progression 

Iirc one of the recent euro runs had the crawling cutoff look and wound up torching basically everyone East of the Apps all the way into New England. So yeah progressive fast hitter probably what most would want to root for but I could be wrong on that assessment.

19 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

I know some are doing the Jan-March later winter cold and snowy dance but we are in trouble and heading for more. Zip in Dec and New Years is now getting pushed back. Trends are hard to break and we gotta get out of the “lows to the west trend” I would caution against the SSW emphasis as our savior as its unproven. Never did see a big snow winter, two or three events of 4-6” each gets me to my 12-15” call and Jan 1/2 which back on 12/15 looked promising now looks like 50-60. That’s gotta stop, the first can’t become the 10Th which then becomes the 20th.

its hard to snow around DC, we need a lot of cooperation and last 30 days have not provided it and nothing favorable really looming 

Its only been the last 2 weeks that were hostile.  Before that we got some snow in November. Storms were generally taking favorable tracks. And we had 2 close misses. A perfect vort pass that developed a surface feature too late and a southern slider. 

Then the mjo took a big dump on us by going all ape into the warm phases.  It sucks. Yea it's eaten away at a chunk of our snow climo. But if we can get the mjo to stip killing us in the next 2 weeks and resume a favorable pattern by late January we have time for a save. 

The problem with persistence based forecasting is a pattern persists until it doesn't. Patterns don't last or coincide with the seasons. Last year persistence would have argued against the negative nao period and snow in march. The super drought that had some blowing up every thread would have argued against the deluge since.  December 2015 would have argued against what happened that January. Patterns flip ok a dime and if you always ride persistence you will look like a genius for a while until it flips. 

Timing pattern changes is tricky. Usually they take longer then guidance suggests. Both good and bad. Often a good pattern will look like it's breaking down only to reload. That's why I never really bit on late December or early January and stuck with mid January on as the likely flip. We will see. But there are signs things aren't as doom and gloom as you suggest. 

59 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

12z op GFS had no support in the GEFS for the 3rd it looked like. EPS also seemed to disagree with the euro. 

1 minute ago, Ji said:
19 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:
Fv3 has the storm on the 8th-9th that the EPS was hinting at. I'm violently tossing the old gfs until it starts showing snow again 
gfs_namer_276_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif&key=49a03bec78971b7eda9465a953837fec4f6a2f24e3d09912602ef93b97873a36

Your killing those waiting for TT to come out!

You should be thanking me for giving you your digital snow fix early. Now break out your 1080p shovel and get busy 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1