Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December/January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

That vortex sitting in Canada is promoting low pressures to our north and enhancing the westerlies under it and causing the mass exodus of cold before the storm. Could change. But that's why I'd rager no PV at all over a badly placed one. 

"rager no" = "rather have no"?

14 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

And @psuhoffman I agree that this MJO wave from hell wasnt forseeable. Subseasonal forecating is still really bad globally. It’s a major weakness amongst all major world met organizations.  And it’s pretty unlikely we stay stuck in phases 4-6 forever or much longer.  But this wave will sink a solid 4-5 weeks of winter, even if it’s not prime climo, it’s when we usually get something...

And sometimes we need those extra 4-5 weeks to get something and/or to get our rotten luck/close misses out of the way!

6 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

On the brighter side, Eps looks pretty good to my eye for the 3rd based on what I can see on TT.

It's also moving the PV off the pole way faster then previously (as bob predicted) and around day 12-13 it's trying to get the nao negative again. Last couple days aren't out yet but a better run so far. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, psuhoffman said:

@WxUSAF yea it's out to 324 and I like where the EPS is going. -nao developing. Pretty good epo ridge going. (Shhh don't tell snowgoose) PV off the pole finally. Heights falling across the eastern Conus.  I'll endorse it. 

Good to hear after that exploding dumpster fire on the GEFS.

• Thanks 1

There are ways to get the 3/4 to work. Easiest is a more progressive system instead of cut off so it rides the trough before that PV to our north extracates the cold air from the east. Another would be to get that system in Canada further east but that's a tougher sell. I'd root progressive wave but amplified enough to not be suppressed. Thread the needle. Lol. 

• Thanks 1

I would think we start seeing some modest changes to the lr in the next few days....I dont think anyone believes that the MJO will die in phase 6.  Once the euro picks up on this and also picks up on some degree HLB due to the strat warm the chips will start to fall into place....imo.  Right now it pretty much agrees with it's own MJO forecast....12z eps starting to change the lr look.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I'm really confused what a current GOES satellite shot has to do with a mid-late January CPC outlook? :blink: 

It's a wet pattern at the mid-latitudes nonstop since April (El Nino). It's a small point, but they are putting too much emphasis on the MJO and AO. (I decided not to respond about CPC forecasts.)

I'm pretty happy with the 12z eps and the differences from 0z. The most noticeable height differences between the 2 runs is higher heights  over GL, deeper eastern trough, bigger ridge in the EPO region, and the trop PV near Siberia is much weaker. We really need to hope the weeklies week 3 is right with timing and placement and 12z EPS was def a step towards the week 3 look. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1