Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December/January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

6 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

I doubt it.  The problem is the GFS doesn't know whether to sh*t or sing from one run to the other.  Even if something magical happen, it's precarious and will be gone on the next run.  The run to run shifts at h5 are comical.

And to that exact point is why a agree that one should only put so much weight in an op run that can have 3-400 mile swings from one run to the next beyond 5 days. 

7 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Best part about a delayed winter though is if it kicks in it feels great because it packs a lot into a shorter window making it more exciting. I remain hopeful but skeptical 

Best part about a delayed Winter is before you know it it's warm. You go right into the next good season. 

11 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Best part about a delayed winter though is if it kicks in it feels great because it packs a lot into a shorter window making it more exciting. I remain hopeful but skeptical 

you should be skeptical but hopeful

32 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

I'm with you.  No need to be overly pessimistic and whiny as this train wreck of a forum has been, but your mention of experience is a good one.  In my experience, delayed is denied. But, I'm still in wait and see mode.

Randy, of concern to me are the posts not only in this subforum but others as well irt how the SSWE is in unchartered territory and we wont really know the true effects for another week to 14 days. But they mostly go on to say that things are still on track for a favorable pattern change by mid month. I dunno....sounds contradictory to me. I think the safest assumption would be if this SSWE is truly a rare event then all bets are off going forward. Going to remain cautiously optimistic for now.

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Ji,  CMC has an extrapolated d11-12 storm. Would be cold powder too

gem_z500_vort_us_41.png

we need something man....we literally cant get it snow during winter months. November and March snow is BS hahaha....we need a flawed event....like in the late 80s where we got a foot of heavy wet snow after reaching 55 degrees on that same day lol

So...what are the chances we can stretch the Niño into next winter, in case we need another do over? Lol I mean, if things don't turn around...I'm gonna start calling this a lame-duck el niño! Like 1994-95...there but has no snow power because of something getting in it's way...(MJO this time? Has that been the culprit in previous weak ninos?)

1 minute ago, Ji said:

we need something man....we literally cant get it snow during winter months. November and March snow is BS hahaha....we need a flawed event....like in the late 80s where we got a foot of heavy wet snow after reaching 55 degrees on that same day lol

I'm still confident we pull off something before the 15th. Might not be pretty but will help our sanity anyways 

58 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Dude, that map had me at like 18 to 20.  Climo here (OKV) is about 30".  

Doesn't matter, its surely wrong anyway. 

And I never said Jan 20, you are putting words in my mouth.  I would put that line more towards valentines than Jan.

I zoomed in and your right it has you at about 20-21". But Stephens city average is not 30. Its closer to 26.  I used to have a really detailed snow mean map generated by a long term analysis of snowfall that showed the snowshadow zone you live in well. It's also evident here on this map lwx produced many moons ago. But either way getting 20" in 4 weeks is nothing to toss. There is still a solid month of snow climo left when they run ends to get the 10" or so more to put you into "great snow year" territory. Keep in mind as well your median is closer to 17" not 26. 

Finally keep in mind that map is straight 10-1.  The reason your area averages more snow than D.C. is in large part due to higher ratios from colder boundary conditions.  I went through the 5 day panels.  There are several systems that track perfect. You get slightly less snow at 10-1 but in reality you would be the jack zone with high ratios while D.C. Is getting 8-1 slop. So chill out. 

This is one such example. 

IMG_8138.thumb.PNG.2e50f57b703940285db2156cd8034635.PNG

12 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm still confident we pull off something before the 15th. Might not be pretty but will help our sanity anyways 

3-4 days ago, it was really looking like the period after today's cutter from say the 30th-10th or so was going to be a solid step down to our incoming expected epicness.  Now instead we have another major cutter on New Year's and then another gush of Pac puke to deal with.  The Nina-ness of the December 10-January 10 period is undeniable.  It's pretty sh-tty frankly.  Now we're back to the end of the 2 week period for a (seemingly) sustained good pattern.  

• Like 3