joxey
January 12-14 Kitchen Sink Storm Discussion

ORH_wxman

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

:lol:

I thought I was the only one that hated when the kids run all over the yard after the storm.......I didn't think it was possible anybody else would even be bothered by this.......

The other thing I hate......stray leaves on my pack......heat absorbers and are detrimental to pack retainage......I have been known to get out the leaf blower to get these insidious things off my pack.....

Pretty sure I ruined my little brother's childhood because I absolutely forbade him to ruin pristine unbroken snow. It's a sickness.

1 hour ago, ice1972 said:

Is there ever a year where there isn't a "gradient"?  I feel like that comes up every season.....somewhere there is going to be tears

1 hour ago, ice1972 said:

Is there ever a year where there isn't a "gradient"?  I feel like that comes up every season.....somewhere there is going to be tears

as in steep. This year it's steeper than average.

Can you 'magin - we have like a region wide grid failure because of the ice storm and the Pats play anyway. 

Thd scale in degree of the local media market boning would make the outage almost tolerable. I'd love to see and read about homes down the street rendered in darkness while the generators blithely carry on the game

23 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

:lol:

I thought I was the only one that hated when the kids run all over the yard after the storm.......I didn't think it was possible anybody else would even be bothered by this.......

The other thing I hate......stray leaves on my pack......heat absorbers and are detrimental to pack retainage......I have been known to get out the leaf blower to get these insidious things off my pack.....

20 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Ha, I just told my wife that same thing that the daycare kids are doing a good job of beating up the snowpack in the back yard...........:lol:

Try having a 13 year old with a new snowmobile. No powder in sight. The yard looks like Rangeley on Snodeo weekend. 

4 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Try having a 13 year old with a new snowmobile. No powder in sight. The yard looks like Rangeley on Snodeo weekend. 

Lmao...ahhh I remember those days. Bought my first sled when I was 16...and I would ride it around the yard flattening every square inch of snow...my mother hated it...but I had a ball riding my machine.

35 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Can't rule it out...but this run wasn't damaging and I haven't seen one yet. The lack of QPF after the front is the inhibiting factor. If we keep trending earlier passage of the frontal boundary though then maybe we can discuss more threatening ice scenarios. The southern stream has been trending a lot weaker as it ejects northeastward...so that is lessening the QPF with it but it's also helping the frontal boundary to move in sooner.

Then again, if we keep shoving this boundary southeast quickly, then sleet might be introduced into the precip too so that would also limit the ice.

True true....sort of a double edged sword situation.  Probably will become a nowcast like all these close call icing situations. 

6 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Can you 'magin - we have like a region wide grid failure because of the ice storm and the Pats play anyway. 

Thd scale in degree of the local media market boning would make the outage almost tolerable. I'd love to see and read about homes down the street rendered in darkness while the generators blithely carry on the game

Yes we magin’and yes it happn’

doesn't seem this system is much of anything up here except a snow melting quick thaw and heavy rain.  Maybe a frozen crust at the end.  Happens most winters.  Then back into the freezer and more snow.  Yes it does art the deep pack fantasies but we will end this with probably at least a foot of high qpf cement by Sunday and then we build towards 2 feet before the real thaw which takes us back to a foot...and then maybe we start the run towards a 3 ft snowpack.

26 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

doesn't seem this system is much of anything up here except a snow melting quick thaw and heavy rain.  Maybe a frozen crust at the end.  Happens most winters.  Then back into the freezer and more snow.  Yes it does art the deep pack fantasies but we will end this with probably at least a foot of high qpf cement by Sunday and then we build towards 2 feet before the real thaw which takes us back to a foot...and then maybe we start the run towards a 3 ft snowpack.

Including Saturday? Riding the GFS?

Euro is still pretty warm too. NAM is def an outlier right now. The NAM's track makes the most sense...it's not tracking the thing over interior SNE like a lot of global models are and instead pushes it SE. But still...you want to see some consensus take shape. We will see what 12z today brings. 

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Riding the Gfs in a big CAA / precip event is akin to riding a horse naked 

Heh, not sure with the analogy but with respect to thermal profiles at hr 60...sure..

It would be nice if the mesos were in range already. The Nam is ticking colder each run with surface temps so that's at least telling. And we have a good consensus track of the SLP using EPS and GEFS, which takes this over LI. So def have to hedge colder (on par with Nam) at the surface based on current guidance...

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Euro is still pretty warm too. NAM is def an outlier right now. The NAM's track makes the most sense...it's not tracking the thing over interior SNE like a lot of global models are and instead pushes it SE. But still...you want to see some consensus take shape. We will see what 12z today brings. 

EPS and GEFS look like SLP goes over LI...Admittedly still a lot of uncertainty there - not good agreement at this hr...

What does extended rgem show?

Yeah I still lean colder...but there's still the aspect of qpf too. Front could get through and then we don't see a whole lot of qpf. Regardless though it does seem like it will be pretty icy late Saturday in most areas. Even if it's just a bit of freezing drizzle. Obviously doesn't take much to create some issues. 

Archived