Newest Member
    joxey
January 12-14 Kitchen Sink Storm Discussion

ORH_wxman

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Is there anyone here who honestly think these trends don’t continue with faster fropa each run? Cold dense air loves to push in quicker . You couid just see this several days ago 

I don’t seee a big deal south of the pike right now. Brown ground tracking a glaze? Stakes higher rt 2 north. This has only so much room to go south and get the QPF.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don’t seee a big deal south of the pike right now. Brown ground tracking a glaze? Stakes higher rt 2 north. This has only so much room to go south and get the QPF.

Even CNE doesnt look to have a TON of QPF that is frozen...most guidance is under an inch...some of that is prob pellets too in the latter stages...and even a little snow. So the ZR threat looks to be mostly nuisance variety. I suppose there is still the outside chance someone gets a third of an inch of ice which may start to cause some problems...but its mostly going to be below a quarter inch of accretion. The fast movement of the cold air prob helps mitigate the ice...it goes to pellets and/or snow during the event...and yeah, down in SNE when the cold undercuts the warm aloft, out qpf is fairl minimal at that stage. We may get an inch of rain in the warm sector though....we'll see.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Even CNE doesnt look to have a TON of QPF that is frozen...most guidance is under an inch...some of that is prob pellets too in the latter stages...and even a little snow. So the ZR threat looks to be mostly nuisance variety. I suppose there is still the outside chance someone gets a third of an inch of ice which may start to cause some problems...but its mostly going to be below a quarter inch of accretion. The fast movement of the cold air prob helps mitigate the ice...it goes to pellets and/or snow during the event...and yeah, down in SNE when the cold undercuts the warm aloft, out qpf is fairl minimal at that stage. We may get an inch of rain in the warm sector though....we'll see.

An inch is better than the four some models were spitting out . 

There may be some snow left...but it's gonna take a beating friday and friday night...won't be surprised if it's all gone by sat morning outside of piles and a few patches. We'll see how quickly the meat of the warm sector works in...and also how much 54F rain falls....the warm rain will melt it very fast. If friday stays mostly dry then there could be some snow left.

After the  Boxing Day disaster when did that first event show up in January 2011?  We have time to build the pack back up but this melt is just such a bummer.......the pack had such great potential.....it was a good start and then will be wiped clean......I only ask about 2011 because once that first event came it was like non stop for a month and my pack grew to like 30" I think.....the areas where the snow drifted or where I threw snow shoveling got even higher to the point where the neighbor dog could walk over the top of the side yard fence or where my kid could walk up to the railing of the deck from the yard side.....lolz.....

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

but we nuke on the follow up and thats not that uncommon, good times

Hopefully more cold and a chance of getting .0000001 of freezing rain on a few branches Friday into Saturday doesn't negatively affect the one next week.  I would rather have **** ton of rain if it meant a good hit mid-week.

12 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

After the  Boxing Day disaster when did that first event show up in January 2011?  We have time to build the pack back up but this melt is just such a bummer.......the pack had such great potential.....it was a good start and then will be wiped clean......I only ask about 2011 because once that first event came it was like non stop for a month and my pack grew to like 30" I think.....the areas where the snow drifted or where I threw snow shoveling got even higher to the point where the neighbor dog could walk over the top of the side yard fence or where my kid could walk up to the railing of the deck from the yard side.....lolz.....

Jan 7-8 in 2011 was the first event.

But forget 2011...lol...2015 had bare ground on January 23rd.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don't recall 2014-15 being so spectacular......I remember that winter was cold and our pond froze up early and lasted a while.....at least 2.5 feet thick at one point.....the next two winters the pond never got thick enough.....it is certainly thick enough now though......was 2014-15 the year Boston got blasted with relentless snow?  I was so jealous......also that Jan 2015 Blizzard was meh.....Ginx did good in that storm......

46 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That's crazy to think about...given what happened just after that. 

Bare ground towards the end of January is enough to get anyone a bit down....then BAM holy fukkin' sh*t (only way to describe it).

39 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

I don't recall 2014-15 being so spectacular......I remember that winter was cold and our pond froze up early and lasted a while.....at least 2.5 feet thick at one point.....the next two winters the pond never got thick enough.....it is certainly thick enough now though......was 2014-15 the year Boston got blasted with relentless snow?  I was so jealous......also that Jan 2015 Blizzard was meh.....Ginx did good in that storm......

I was pissed I missed 30 by a half inch, not really just channeling my inner Ray Ray

20 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Does Greenfield to Brattleboro corridor CAD for a bit on Friday before we torch?

Prob....since its southerly flow...it always take a little longer to scour out there on S flow. But everyone will warm sector eventually and be there for quite a while.

But your area will be the first to cool off in SNE as this drains back in from the N and NW...not a cold tuck this time in the east. It just all seeps S and SSE and prob everyone is frozen over by sat afternoon/sat evening

13 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I was pissed I missed 30 by a half inch, not really just channeling my inner Ray Ray

Oh man....I mean at that depth you are approaching the margin of error if you have to slant stick that additional 0.5"......lol.....its still a decent slant at 10.5 degrees but we've seen worse.....lol

1 hour ago, ice1972 said:

The snow was deeper and deeper the more east you went, I had a decent pack but nothing like the Boston area. I hope to see another month like that in my lifetime with the wealth spread more west next time.

Archived