Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MetHerb said:

34° here too.  There was scattered frost around my house (some on the open grass and on roofs) but more solid down the hill where I suspect it was probably closer to 32°.

Low teens for Fakersville?

Hope he's ok...no tweets since 9/12.

Lighter frost than yesterday, about 31 after the tomato-slayer 27.

September 2017 - what a pattern switch.  After the August-Sept 18-day run of -6, the 13-28 period was +9.5.

Avg. temp:  59.7   +2.9, but the final 2 days dropped it into 3rd place, 0.1F less warm than 2015.

Avg. max:  70.8   +2.6    Warmest was 85, on the 24th.  Warmest minima 61, on the 20th and 26th.

Avg. min:  48.4   +3.2   Coolest was 32, on the 2nd and 29th.   Coolest maximum 56, on the 30th, edging out the 57 on the 1st - nice bookends.

Warmest daily mean:  72.5 (84/61) on the 26th.  Coolest was 46 (60/32) on the 29th.

Precip:  3.49"   -0.25"    Wettest day:  1.07" on the 6th.  Measured 3.41" Sept 3-7, then 0.08" rest of month.

Three days with thunder, 3X average and 1st Sept with that many.  All were fairly distant rumbles only. 

Not sure if we had any wind gusts over 20 the whole month.

I have a weird question/request.

Last week my professor sent out an email to the students who are in broadcasting class and are graduating soon.  One of the local news stations here in CT is looking to hire a broadcast meteorologist and they're willing to look at someone who is still in school and close to graduating.  I quickly replied to the email and was told to send along a resume and videos.  I am currently polishing up the resume. 

Would anyone be willing to let me use them for a reference?  I ask here because I've posted enough forecasting thoughts/opinions with regards to forecasting and if I am knowledgeable enough I'm sure someone here could vouch.  If anyone would be interested please reach me via PM so this thread doesn't get clogged. 

Thank you.

1 hour ago, eekuasepinniW said:

My station appears to have rehabilitated itself without any help.

:thumbsup:

my sky cam is out for the 4th time now. pita

Babies are in with the big girls in the coop tonight. :o it was relatively smooth sailing grabbing them and putting them in after sunset. 

7 hours ago, nzucker said:

It sounds like he's still alive, although it's quite possible he will die.

EDIT: Tom Petty has officially died. He was 66. His last tour ended on September 25th at the Hollywood Bowl. Just very, very sad news.

Dead.  RIP.  too young at 66.

10 hours ago, nzucker said:

It sounds like he's still alive, although it's quite possible he will die.

EDIT: Tom Petty has officially died. He was 66. His last tour ended on September 25th at the Hollywood Bowl. Just very, very sad news.

Here's the show if anyone wants to listen to it https://jam.buzz/listen-tom-pettys-final-show-hollywood-bowl-9252017-full-show-aud/

Wow,  what a bluebird migration today.  Just dozens of bluebirds around the apple orchard.  Picking on fallen apples, feasting on wild berries and concord grapes.  We usually have bluebirds all summer but never this many.  Nice to see the numbers coming back.  I guess they are all heading south and stopping along the way, certainly welcome. Lots of juveniles too.  

Also Canada Geese have been landing and eating in our fields along with tons of Painted Lady butterflies.  Hummingbirds have now left the feeders.  Our man made pond has gone dry for the first time this year so no water for the deer up on our hill.  Hopefully a partial refill by this time next week.

Almost 100% green up here.  Columbus Day leaf peepers will definitely have to go north of my location.  Maybe tomorrow I will take the drone up to Franconia Notch and fly high to get an idea of foliage up there.  South wind will be increasing so will have to see how windy it is in the notch areas..

37 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Wow,  what a bluebird migration today.  Just dozens of bluebirds around the apple orchard.  Picking on fallen apples, feasting on wild berries and concord grapes.  We usually have bluebirds all summer but never this many.  Nice to see the numbers coming back.  I guess they are all heading south and stopping along the way, certainly welcome. Lots of juveniles too.  

Also Canada Geese have been landing and eating in our fields along with tons of Painted Lady butterflies.  Hummingbirds have now left the feeders.  Our man made pond has gone dry for the first time this year so no water for the deer up on our hill.  Hopefully a partial refill by this time next week.

Almost 100% green up here.  Columbus Day leaf peepers will definitely have to go north of my location.  Maybe tomorrow I will take the drone up to Franconia Notch and fly high to get an idea of foliage up there.  South wind will be increasing so will have to see how windy it is in the notch areas..

same here and getting ridiculous. At this rate, it'll be T-Day before all leaves are down.

Archived