CHSVol
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

This is awesome weather. I wish we could carry this right into the first couple of weeks of November. Getting those dews back into the low 60s will be nice too. No need to waste energy use in October. ..save it for when it counts.

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

This is awesome weather. I wish we could carry this right into the first couple of weeks of November. Getting those dews back into the low 60s will be nice too. No need to waste energy use in October. ..save it for when it counts.

No thanks, Unless you want me to come up and hunt in your yard, Nothing worse then trudging around in the brush in temps in the 70's

12 minutes ago, dryslot said:

No thanks, Unless you want me to come up and hunt in your yard, Nothing worse then trudging around in the brush in temps in the 70's

Plus, if one stumbles into a deer, it has to get in refrigeration the same day.  Folks in week 1 of Maine's moose season last week must've had real issues (or, one hopes, lots of ice) had they dropped one before Friday.
Probably dipped under 30 this morning, had to scrape the windshield.  That plus Sunday's 27 should move the heavy Haralred crop toward being sweet enough to pick while the grandkids are here next week.  That's my latest ripening apple, needs several sub-30 mornings before being ready.  All the Ultramacs (most of a 5-gal bucket) and Empires (maybe 2 dozen, still more than all earlier years combined) got picked Saturday.

Whatever gives the deer an advantage I'm in favor of. :thumbsup:

Actually it gives the ticks an advantage.  For a deer with full winter coat, it would be like having to wear a heavy wool jacket in last week's midsummer heat/dews.

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Plus, if one stumbles into a deer, it has to get in refrigeration the same day.  Folks in week 1 of Maine's moose season last week must've had real issues (or, one hopes, lots of ice) had they dropped one before Friday.
Probably dipped under 30 this morning, had to scrape the windshield.  That plus Sunday's 27 should move the heavy Haralred crop toward being sweet enough to pick while the grandkids are here next week.  That's my latest ripening apple, needs several sub-30 mornings before being ready.  All the Ultramacs (most of a 5-gal bucket) and Empires (maybe 2 dozen, still more than all earlier years combined) got picked Saturday.

Yeah, Not good, They are pretty reluctant to be moving around when its warm and the opposite when its cold as you know, But when i drop one, I like to let it hang for three days or so before it goes to the butcher.

17 minutes ago, dendrite said:

They can hang out in my yard. No ticks here. ;)

Chicks, no ticks.
Have removed a dozen or so from myself this season, the most after a trip to the Topsham lot near Merrymeeting Bay - had a full count of ticks, 3 deer and 2 dog.  It's been about 3 years since I've picked up deer ticks while hunting their larger hosts (from a ground stand, easy ticking) and I hope the no-shows continue.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

100605_rpts.gif

It certainly was for DVN. https://www.weather.gov/dvn/magnoliatornado

But two tornadoes qualifies as an outbreak for GYX, that's for sure.

Yeah that was some event for DVN.  

I remember this day producing a swath of impressive wind damage but when I was just reading the damaging wind reports for each state in New England the number didn't seem that impressive...so I investigated further and went to the storm events page and what I had thought was confirmed.  

For my mesoscale class the first project we get to do is investigate any event you want and focus on the mesoscale features/aspects of the event and present it.  So I'm doing the June 5th/6th back-to-back tornado watch days.

What do you do for plotting parcel dewpoint?  We were given a set of temperatures and dew points at various levels, then plotted them.  Then we had to plot the parcel temperature and find the LCL.  From the LCL for parcel temp it’s just going parallel to the dry adiabatic lapse rate...that’s what my green line is.  But not sure what to do for parcel dewpoint?

(this isn’t a homework assignment...just practice)

80F0C460-6FB9-4F08-92FA-BCB966122A24.thumb.jpeg.a586563c7543f5cfd391a8b0a503cfb1.jpeg

23 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

What do you do for plotting parcel dewpoint?  We were given a set of temperatures and dew points at various levels, then plotted them.  Then we had to plot the parcel temperature and find the LCL.  From the LCL for parcel temp it’s just going parallel to the dry adiabatic lapse rate...that’s what my green line is.  But not sure what to do for parcel dewpoint?

(this isn’t a homework assignment...just practice)

80F0C460-6FB9-4F08-92FA-BCB966122A24.thumb.jpeg.a586563c7543f5cfd391a8b0a503cfb1.jpeg

Below the LCL your parcel dew point is going to be parallel to the mixing ratio. 

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Below the LCL your parcel dew point is going to be parallel to the mixing ratio. 

Ahh thanks!  That’s what I had thought but I think I was having trouble with following it b/c it’s a crazy curve.  I’ll check some tutorials online to see how that’s done.  Above the LCL is it the moist adiabat or is that just for parcel temp? 

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Ahh thanks!  That’s what I had thought but I think I was having trouble with following it b/c it’s a crazy curve.  I’ll check some tutorials online to see how that’s done.  Above the LCL is it the moist adiabat or is that just for parcel temp? 

Above the LCL you will be saturated so parcel temp = dew point

14 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

100605_rpts.gif

It certainly was for DVN. https://www.weather.gov/dvn/magnoliatornado

But two tornadoes qualifies as an outbreak for GYX, that's for sure.

That was a messy day in terms of clouds in the DVN and adjacent areas.  Didn't need much breaks of sun though, and it turned into a fairly impressive tornado outbreak.

I tried chasing that red streak there in Indiana, but just couldn't quite catch up in time.  It was like 1 or 2 am in the morning, which made it a little spooky.

8 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Was that written 8 years ago? The tornado was 10/3/1979 which would be 38 years ago.

On another note, 30 years ago on 10/4/1987 many portions of the area saw one of their earliest snowfalls.  I know western areas, particularly around Albany and higher elevations west of the CT River got hit hard.  I had a rain/snow mix without any accumulations.  What was interesting about that was that there was a late snow on 4/28 that year giving a really short window between last and first snowfalls.  I'm surprised there hasn't been more mention of that anniversary.

Archived