joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 15-16 President's Day Massacre Obs

CT Valley Snowman

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The state DOT does a lot besides the interstates too... all those state highways are done by the state too.

Oh I'm aware...I don't think I stated otherwise?

I'm just used to plenty of complaining about the CT DOT...from when I did forecasting for towns. :lol:

I'm just used to plenty of complaining about the CT DOT...from when I did forecasting for towns. :lol:

Oh I figured you knew - just in case others from out of state didn't know.

It's sort of interesting how they do things - they definitely don't spend nearly as much money as the surrounding states. Looking at the numbers between CT and MA it's pretty glaring how different the two states are.

lol. Are you joking?

I live on a state road, and the plows have come by about 6 times since 7:00am, sparks flying, and dropping the plow to capture that 2 square foot patch of .25" ice barely at the edge of the shoulder.  I have videos of these clowns just plowing nothing.  It is an utter joke.

You can see the difference on I-84 or I-91 when you cross the stateline. 3" of slush in Enfield and wet roads in Agawam. They make a conscious decision to not have roads in that condition here in CT. 

You can see the difference on I-84 or I-91 when you cross the stateline. 3" of slush in Enfield and wet roads in Agawam. They make a conscious decision to not have roads in that condition here in CT. 

I suppose the interstates are a different deal, but I am on a secondary highway (rte 169), and they just send the plows back and forth, and forth, and back for zero reason.  It is actually rather baffling.  Getting into that liquid rust accelerator mix that we use on the roads is a whole other story that can be saved for another day. I do know that many contractors, and other business have been gearing up for a lawsuit regarding the use of that chemical for some time now. 

The garage in Union does a good job on the state highways for the area that they cover.  They cover  SR 190 to the crest of Chestnut Hill on the western side of Stafford and when it snows, there is a clear difference between the two sides of the mountain.  The other garages don't as good a job IMHO.

Oh I figured you knew - just in case others from out of state didn't know.

It's sort of interesting how they do things - they definitely don't spend nearly as much money as the surrounding states. Looking at the numbers between CT and MA it's pretty glaring how different the two states are.

I remember a storm back in the 90s where there was a flash freeze and 91 turned into a skating rink for about a week until we had a rain event.  Every night they would have to sand to make it drivable.  You'd cross into Mass. and the road was fine...caked with salt.  I wish the utilities and DOT would take some notes but I guess that is too much to ask.  Money spent is one thing, but technique is another.

The state DOT does a lot besides the interstates too... all those state highways are done by the state too.

Are these trucks DOT or sub contractors that are throwing sparks? A sub contractor contract for a state highway requires a minimum number of hours if the fleet is called out. So let's say a storm is a bust they still need to get the minmum contracted hours per storm/being called out. So it might just be a case of well they are here so might as well use them. For state workers there work hours are from 6am-3pm so they are just throwing sparks inside their normal work hours. Also if a state worker is called in on OT they get a minmum amount of OT hours.

Edit my post is more in response to cold

Miser and runaway

Are these trucks DOT or sub contractors that are throwing sparks? A sub contractor contract for a state highway requires a minimum number of hours if the fleet is called out. So let's say a storm is a bust they still need to get the minmum contracted hours per storm/being called out. So it might just be a case of well they are here so might as well use them. For state workers there work hours are from 6am-3pm so they are just throwing sparks inside their normal work hours. Also if a state worker is called in on OT they get a minmum amount of OT hours.

Edit my post is more in response to cold

Miser and runaway

The trucks are state DOT, that I've seen.

Had 3.0" at the 7 AM obs, with very light fzdz and a barely noticeable crust. It had been IP with mid-teens at 5 AM, and 6-7F milder by 7. Both AUG and home remain in the mid-upper 20s, but RKD/BGR are mid 40s, and HIE/BML around 50, so it's coming though the big rise in the foothills may await the next slug of precip. Current visibility in AUG is 1/4 mile in fog.

Archived