Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 15-16 President's Day Massacre Obs

CT Valley Snowman

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Technically part of the valley so alot of people think 100 or less

That's a nice area between Agawam and Westfield, some smaller rolling hills and nice neighborhoods. Certainly a few hundred feet is better than the valley floor in Agawam and Springfield which is down around 60 ft. I'm only about 140 here.

Just got back to Greenfield. Still close to 100% snow cover, even in town but man, just 5 miles 5-10 miles E of here it was a pretty ragged pack. Looking at Station histories on Wunderground (and according to my wife) it looks like the temps held in the 30's here until between 4-5pm. So only about upper 40's to low 50's for a few hours. Down to 34 now.

My pack has been obliterated, Swiss cheese at best. I haven't seen almost a foot of snow disappear so fast.

Elevation is all relative, people think I'm high up at 1,100' but then I look at the berks and think they're high so it's nothing to be jealous or nitpicky over.

Crazy inversion this morning, was 43 at my house then when I got down to FIT it was 30 and all the trees were iced up and the roads a mess

Who's the 4" slant sticker?

lol. That is quite the stand alone measurement.

1/2" snow here...maybe another .25" of ice in the overnight but that part of the system came and went while I was not really paying attention so I am sticking with the 1/2" total for froz.

Snow pack is pretty much a non discussion. Pretty much went from 8" down to scattered patches in shaded areas in a matter of a day.

I am not sure how much faith I have in the 10 day period at this point. After that were close to March which will signal the beginning of the end of an overall craptastic winter.

Bare lawns here in Augusta, and just patches in the woods.  However, the storm was a net zero at home, though the current 12" pack has a much different character than the 12" of 2 days ago.  Driveway is an ice sheet, though surprisingly non-suicidal walking this morning.  Spread wood ashes anyway before starting the pickup.

Yesterday's 46/14 averaged 32.5F milder than Monday's 17/-22, biggest one-day change (in either direction) I've seen here.  Largest such leap came 3/19-20/1976 in Ft. Kent, with 24/-25 then 50/19 for a 35F change.  (Not when I lived there, but records for Jan 1996 show a low of -24 one day and +31 the next - 55F change is respectable.  Only 11F climb in maxima, though.)

Bare lawns here in Augusta, and just patches in the woods.  However, the storm was a net zero at home, though the current 12" pack has a much different character than the 12" of 2 days ago.  Driveway is an ice sheet, though surprisingly non-suicidal walking this morning.  Spread wood ashes anyway before starting the pickup.

Yesterday's 46/14 averaged 32.5F milder than Monday's 17/-22, biggest one-day change (in either direction) I've seen here.  Largest such leap came 3/19-20/1976 in Ft. Kent, with 24/-25 then 50/19 for a 35F change.  (Not when I lived there, but records for Jan 1996 show a low of -24 one day and +31 the next - 55F change is respectable.  Only 11F climb in maxima, though.)

I ran through some numbers in my own record going back to 1985 and yesterday's difference of a low of -15° the previous day to this morning's 30° reading is the largest gain I've recorded (45°).  On the minus side, 12/24/1990 had a low of 50° and Christmas day it was 14° for a difference or 36°.

In terms of a high temperature difference, my greatest is 45° on 1/8/2014. 

4/26 through 4/29/1990 need an honorable mention because we went from a high of 43 on the 25th to a high of 77 on the 26th and then a high of 91 on the 28th to a high of 46 on the 29th.  That's a pretty wild swing for a 4 day period.

I may have some dates transposed as I do my daily ob at 7AM but the ranges should be correct.

Archived