joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 15-16 President's Day Massacre Obs

CT Valley Snowman

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the colors on that map but I don't know why it leaves off so many stations.

There's an interesting contrast between the Housatonic River Valley and the CT River Valley.  50s in one and 20s in the other.  Meanwhile, its near 40 in the hills around the Housatonic. 

The individual who makes that writ his own script. Paul stated many years ago he only displays the most accurate. Meso displays from official outlet incorporate several channels. only- FYI 

Wild down here overnight. Lost power for about 3hrs. Up at 4am doing my duty(s) in pitch black with occasional flashes, Now back to beautiful again ...

You should see my parking garage.  Every surface is covered with thick frost giving it an eerie look and making for slick walking.

What is up with the CT DOT?  I drive north from Enfield where the interstate is practically ice covered to just wet pavement with minimal slush in Massachusetts.

I had an interesting commute this morning.  Temp was 41° at home but up at 1000' it was 46° on the vehicle thermometer.  It didn't change much coming down into the valley until I got to about 450' and then the temperature just dropped.  At one point I looked down and dropped 10° so you could see how shallow the layer is .

The state DOT doesn't have a "bare pavement" policy during a storm unlike Massachusetts. Per road mile I think the state of Massachusetts has something like 4 times as many plow trucks as CT does.

Weird ride into work this morning at UConn. I didn't have to go up more than 50 feet in elevation from Route 83 before the roads were rivers with everything melting off and ice was falling out of the trees. Before I started up the hill, the roads were interesting.

39 degrees now at home and climbing fast. Went up 3 degrees while I was typing this.

lol...how often can you experience a 25° temperature swing by driving a few miles?

That just cracked me up. Only weenies like us would turn around and drive thru something like that a 2nd time

lolz.  Kevin probably would have done the same thing.  ...but...He would have started while wearing the winter gear and then slowly undressed down to the banana hammock, then drove back to the cold, getting dressed in the snow suit again along the way, and then repeat about 6 times...all while keeping one hand on the wheel. 

The individual who makes that writ his own script. Paul stated many years ago he only displays the most accurate. Meso displays from official outlet incorporate several channels. only- FYI 

Wild down here overnight. Lost power for about 3hrs. Up at 4am doing my duty(s) in pitch black with occasional flashes, Now back to beautiful again ...

Those mesomaps are from the Virtual Weather Station software from Ambient.

I think it only displays 200 stations and you enter a few locales and it will fill in stations around them in a radius. That's why you have some gaps in the maps.

The state DOT doesn't have a "bare pavement" policy during a storm unlike Massachusetts. Per road mile I think the state of Massachusetts has something like 4 times as many plow trucks as CT does.

lol. Are you joking?

I live on a state road, and the plows have come by about 6 times since 7:00am, sparks flying, and dropping the plow to capture that 2 square foot patch of .25" ice barely at the edge of the shoulder.  I have videos of these clowns just plowing nothing.  It is an utter joke.

lol. Are you joking?

I live on a state road, and the plows have come by about 6 times since 7:00am, sparks flying, and dropping the plow to capture that 2 square foot patch of .25" ice barely at the edge of the shoulder.  I have videos of these clowns just plowing nothing.  It is an utter joke.

same deal this way-sparks flying and all.  Great use of our tax dollars in an already broke state.  What a joke

The roads are in horrible shape despite the 50F temp.

I think we'll see some significant street flooding later tonight when the band of heavy rain pivots through. Most storm drains are blocked so the water has nowhere to go. I know my street will flood.

Extreme amount of people had frozen pipes, many will find out when the thaw expands the ice where the freezer was. The big melt warmed up our work roof drains. Still 6-8 inches on the roof.

20160216_091825.jpg

Archived