joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16th - February 17th Snow/Ice Storm OBS

superjames1992

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lookout tried to warn you guys. Listen to that man, he knows his stuff.

Wouldn't be suprised to see a pellet or two down here in the Midlands, but looking like we are going to escape with some rain thankfully.

Agree 100% on Lookout and a few others expert CAD gurus. It's been a long time since we've had a real cad event in NE Ga and NE SC. This one is classic! Got .25 to .50" of pure sleet now here.

Nitz just tweeted there are power outages in Cherokee County (GA) as of 5:51 PM. Unbelievable. 

Not surprising.  It started raining here at 10:30 this morning and has not stopped.  By midafternoon we dropped low enough and although the roads around my house aren't icy yet, the trees have accumulated quite a coating.  The pines out back are really drooping.  We started experiencing power flickers about 30 minutes ago.

It's been so very long since this area had a proper ice storm, there are a lot of trees vulnerable to even these small amounts.  Here in the northern half of the county it's all two lane roads with unburied lines strung on poles and the trees usually aren't trimmed back much from them.

ETA:  I do think we'll have some black ice on the roads in the morning, for sure.  Commuting will be dangerous and I wouldn't be surprised if some school systems are afraid to run their buses.  (Our county schools are closed this week for winter break.)

Lookout tried to warn you guys.  Listen to that man, he knows his stuff.

Wouldn't be suprised to see a pellet or two down here in the Midlands, but looking like we are going to escape with some rain thankfully.

He said he would kiss everyone's ass on the board if the GFS was right about it warming fast.  Luckily, we all were spared

Yea, this is setting up to be worse than 2005 IMO.  We've got quite a river of moisture pointed our way on the radar and there's no way the sleet can hold on much longer. With temps in the upper 20's and another inch of liquid heading this way i'm thinking widespread 1/2 inch ice totals are on the way.

Edit: My temp is still dropping, i'm at 29.2/27.0 right now.

what do you think is up with GSP?  They have dropped ZR total for Greenville co to nill.

Agree 100% on Lookout and a few others expert CAD gurus. It's been a long time since we've had a real cad event in NE Ga and NE SC. This one is classic! Got .25 to .50" of pure sleet now here.

I can be corrected but thus wasn't a classic CAD, more InSitu with extremely cold and dry air that just wasn't handled well by any of the models. Classic CAD would've been nice HP anchored up North with strong NE winds coming down to reinforce. This time we got a late turn to NE but it pulled more of the low DP's down to reinforce the "wedge." Definitely a situation to remember and kudo's to Lookout for recognizing it very early.

Yea, this is setting up to be worse than 2005 IMO.  We've got quite a river of moisture pointed our way on the radar and there's no way the sleet can hold on much longer. With temps in the upper 20's and another inch of liquid heading this way i'm thinking widespread 1/2 inch ice totals are on the way.

Edit: My temp is still dropping, i'm at 29.2/27.0 right now.

Yea the severity of this ice storm will be at least on par with Jan 29-30 2005, although this one might be worse given the likelihood that more of this falls as FZRA in Greenville and much of upstate, SC. 

The worst ice storm I ever lived through was the Dec 4-5 2002 event. Even though it was worse up in Raleigh, NC... we got hit pretty hard in the upstate too. We probably won't see high enough precip totals to rival that event, but somewhere between the 2005 and 2002 event could definitely be attainable. 

Archived