• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 16th - February 17th Snow/Ice Storm OBS

superjames1992

Accident due to car sliding into center divider on I-385 at Roper Mountain Rd. Greenville, SC. I am so glad I left work when I did as I drive right by there. 

My bedroom window has a glaze of ice on it and I can't see out. I am hearing a ping or two every once in a while. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Outages are not as bad as i thought they would be. only 2,000 people without power so far. 

Very early on in this event... check back again tomorrow morning by 7-8am. The true scope should become clear by then.

what do you think is up with GSP?  They have dropped ZR total for Greenville co to nill.

Yea I have no clue... their freezing rain accumulation map does not appear to be based in reality at the moment (unless they are going with actual accretion of trees and exposed surfaces). If preicp rates are high enough, some of the total liquid precip won't actually accrete. 

Very early on in this event... check back again tomorrow morning by 7-8am. The true scope should become clear by then.

Yea I have no clue... their freezing rain accumulation map does not appear to be based in reality at the moment (unless they are going with actual accretion of trees and exposed surfaces). If preicp rates are high enough, some of the total liquid precip won't actually accrete. 

What's your sense of what tomorrow will look like for us down here Phil?

Not good -- travel will nearly impossible if the moisture flow holds with these temperatures.  Amazing.  We are at 16F here and the snow if mixing with sleet.  Whaaaaaathe???

This might end up being the most frustrated I've been with a storm. We are a warm nose away from a huge storm. I've never seen snow with temperatures this cold. Tomorrow is going to be bad with sleet accumulation

I can be corrected but thus wasn't a classic CAD, more InSitu with extremely cold and dry air that just wasn't handled well by any of the models. Classic CAD would've been nice HP anchored up North with strong NE winds coming down to reinforce. This time we got a late turn to NE but it pulled more of the low DP's down to reinforce the "wedge." Definitely a situation to remember and kudo's to Lookout for recognizing it very early.

You are correct more of an in situational cad. Haven't had one of those in a while either.

Yea the severity of this ice storm will be at least on par with Jan 29-30 2005, although this one might be worse given the likelihood that more of this falls as FZRA in Greenville and much of upstate, SC. 

The worst ice storm I ever lived through was the Dec 4-5 2002 event. Even though it was worse up in Raleigh, NC... we got hit pretty hard in the upstate too. We probably won't see high enough precip totals to rival that event, but somewhere between the 2005 and 2002 event could definitely be attainable. 

Yup, 2002 was awful.  When hardwoods are cracking under the weight of the ice, you know it's bad.  Not gonna wish that on my worst enemy.  Can't believe that was 12-13 years ago!

Nothing crazy going on currently. Thin coating of sleet/snow on sidewalks and some roads.  A lull at this time.

what do you think is up with GSP?  They have dropped ZR total for Greenville co to nill.

I live near Paris Mountain State Park in Greenville, SC. It's 27 with sleet. The roads are white. I just posted a remark on the GSP NWS Facebook page, suggesting they look outside and change their forecast. They have no mention of sleet in their forecast, even though its been sleeting for several hours. 

Yea, this is setting up to be worse than 2005 IMO.  We've got quite a river of moisture pointed our way on the radar and there's no way the sleet can hold on much longer. With temps in the upper 20's and another inch of liquid heading this way i'm thinking widespread 1/2 inch ice totals are on the way.

Edit: My temp is still dropping, i'm at 29.2/27.0 right now.

radar is just down right impressive, the most impressive i have seen with a winter storm in a long time.  if the warmer air doesnt make it in we could get clobbered lol

it looks like there is a mix of sleet and frz rain again (or mist) the roads are competlely covered now and trees have noticeable ice in them

radar is just down right impressive, the most impressive i have seen with a winter storm in a long time.  if the warmer air doesnt make it in we could get clobbered lol

it looks like there is a mix of sleet and frz rain again (or mist) the roads are competlely covered now and trees have noticeable ice in them

gainesville says 30 still setting here at 28 imby its crazy amount of ice here in south hall

starting to see some outages http://outagemap.georgiapower.com/external/default.html

Archived