SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 16th - February 17th Snow/Ice Storm OBS

superjames1992

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting to get worried about the power here. Trees are covered in ice and it's pouring rain. I hope something changes here soon that prevents too much ice from forming. Either a changeover to sleet or a little warm up. I keep reading that the temps are going to go up but they have been falling since lunch time.

Free app with NOAA app purchase: Police Scanner. Just turned it on in Charlotte. Past 5 ?  looks like there are a few.

Scanner is interesting. Police are calling into dispatch "I know you are very busy but "x" bridge is a complete sheet of ice and we need it treated or closed." Asking Highway patrol for help and they are tied up. 

Temp continues to drop here... 28.7 next to Lake Hartwell. Yet GSP says we warm above freezing by 10pm.....???

Still all sleet here. I can tell b/c the sleet on car tops can be brushed off, thus leading me to believe no rain is mixing in...

Edit: Scratch that, sleet coating is now a solid mass indicating that freezing rain is mixing in.

Given how warm the mid levels are and how much waa there is,  it really is surprising to hear of sleet being reported that far south.

i have a good coating of glaze now on everything. Temp is fluctuating between 30.4 and 30.7 so..which is probably where i'll bottom out

got to LOVE how the WAA (at the ground) was not correct.  Hell, I don't think we are going to get that warmer surge as forecasted.

Left pti about 445. Had a good 30 minn burst ofsnow whitened everything up . Could hear ice in snow as leaving. Got over to high point road to drop off employee all sleet. Just past or by randolph guilford line you could tell the first thump was light and that's the way all the way back here to house. Now getting some frzng rain possibly It's just so light. Sounds like sleet, but precip has been measly down this way. 23 degrees, so I pray we don't get into frzng rain right off bat. I'll go outside when some heavier returns get over head.

Free app with NOAA app purchase: Police Scanner. Just turned it on in Charlotte. Past 5 ?  looks like there are a few.

Scanner is interesting. Police are calling into dispatch "I know you are very busy but "x" bridge is a complete sheet of ice and we need it treated or closed." Asking Highway patrol for help and they are tied up. 

Thanks for the updates from CLT.

Left pti about 445. Had a good 30 minn burst ofsnow whitened everything up . Could hear ice in snow as leaving. Got over to high point road to drop off employee all sleet. Just past or by randolph guilford line you could tell the first thump was light and that's the way all the way back here to house. Now getting some frzng rain possibly It's just so light. Sounds like sleet, but precip has been measly down this way. 23 degrees, so I pray we don't get into frzng rain right off bat. I'll go outside when some heavier returns get over head.

Same here, my man.

Much earlier than expected, Frosty. :(

Guess I'll be sleet in the next 30 mins to an hour. I was hoping to evade sleet until at least 11:00ish.

Still holding on to all snow, very heavy right now with 4" on the snowboard.

I've got around 2 inches (guessing) before sleet started mixing in.... 

EDIT: Just checked 2 inches it is and more snow than sleet at the moment!

Holding here around 30 degrees with moderate rain.  I'm not sure if our power is going to make it......it had already begun to flicker a little and the ice is accumulating very rapidly.  Getting ice accretion here on the ground as well in the grass, etc.  Radar looks good (or bad depending on your perspective) for quite a long time.  Got the flashlights ready.

- Buck

Archived