Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
February 16th - February 17th Snow/Ice Storm OBS

superjames1992

I still have E NE winds

Speaking of winds, they are really picking up here. Probably gusting to 15mph or better. They are also quite high in gainesville. 17mph gusting to 23.

one thing to keep an eye on. Mt oglethorpe in jasper is up to 32 after being below freezing all day. The sensor is at an elevation of around 2800 feet so It's normally a good indicator for warm or cold air advection at 925mb..indeed gainesville is at 31 now, which is up a degree. It's not much but maybe the waa or latent heat release is starting to work in a little bit. On the other hand, freezing temps are down to loganville and nearly social circle, which is pretty far south.

edit..well between the time i wrote that and going back to look, it's back down to 30 :arrowhead:

Lookout,

Further to what you said, here is hour 38 from yesterday's 12Z high resolution wrf/nam effective 9 PM tonight:

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/uploads/monthly_02_2015/post-25-0-24750900-1424028442.gif

Fantastic prog!!

Yep..i definately am impressed with how it did.

Sleet mixed with freezing rain 19.9

getting freezing rain with temps in the teens is freaking wild. :thumbsup:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

29 and sleet here still, maybe a little freezing rain mixed in. I'm really surprised I'm still getting sleet considering what everybody else is saying. I'm south of the city.

Sleet mixing in with mod freezing rain! Temp down to 30.2! Ground is white, including sidewalks and streets , trees sagging a little more, firehose still flowing this way for a few more hours, gusty NE winds as well

We had 15 minutes of sleet at around 5 pm and that was it until now. For us it will be all freezing rain.

Yea it looks that way. Woudnl't be surprised to see some periods of pure sleet still mix in.

Speaking of winds, they are really picking up here. Probably gusting to 15mph or better. They are also quite high in gainesville. 17mph gusting to 23.

one thing to keep an eye on. Mt oglethorpe in jasper is up to 32 after being below freezing all day. The sensor is at an elevation of around 2800 feet so It's normally a good indicator for warm or cold air advection at 925mb..indeed gainesville is at 31 now, which is up a degree. It's not much but maybe the waa or latent heat release is starting to work in a little bit. On the other hand, freezing temps are down to loganville and nearly social circle, which is pretty far south.

edit..well between the time i wrote that and going back to look, it's back down to 30 :arrowhead:

Yep..i definately am impressed with how it did.

getting freezing rain with temps in the teens is freaking wild. :thumbsup:

The last time I saw this was in like the mid 90's back in Hickory. Crazy stuff bro. 

I just went outside to check conditions and it looks like there isn't quite as much sleet right now.  Still prob 60% sleet, but hard to tell.  Icicles everywhere and getting bigger so I know there is a decent amount fzrn in it.  28.0°

Got back from a walk and we are still moderate sleet and 28 here in Spartanburg

Mostly ZR with a few sleet pellets mixed in. I'm surprised that we're already getting ZR. That warm nose means business. Also means we may switch over to rain towards the height of the storm.

We are going to from zr at 19/20 degrees to plain rain at the height of the storm? Sorry, I just don't see it.

Mostly ZR with a few sleet pellets mixed in. I'm surprised that we're already getting ZR. That warm nose means business. Also means we may switch over to rain towards the height of the storm.

I need some help understanding this, are you saying its possible to have rain when it's this cold at the surface, or are you expecting that temperatures could increase? It's 22 degrees at my house, hard to imagine anything that falls not sticking/freezing. Thanks in advance for any clarification you can offer.

Archived