• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 16th - February 17th Snow/Ice Storm OBS

superjames1992

Starting to wonder if they've been drinking in Peachtree City... pretty sure Clarke County should have a warning at this point. There's a lot of ice out there.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION...UPDATED
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA
920 PM EST MON FEB 16 2015

.UPDATE...
WEDGE IS STILL HOLDING IN PLACE ACROSS THE NORTHEAST AND THUS
STILL SEEING FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET ACROSS THE NORTHEAST. HAVE
SEEN A FEW OBSERVATION SITES IN THAT AREA WITH THE TEMPS RISING A
DEGREE OR SO. WILL CONTINUE TO SEE THE FREEZING RAIN CONTINUE
ACROSS PARTS OF THE NORTHEAST. LATER TONIGHT
THOUGH...PRECIPITATION WILL BEGIN TO MOVE OUT AND END BY THE
MORNING ACROSS THE MAJORITY OF THE CWA.

TEMPERATURES WILL FALL AS THE FRONT EXITS AND THUS BLACK ICE
REMAINS A CONCERN ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA THROUGH TUESDAY MORNING.

NO CHANGES ARE PLANNED TO THE WINTER STORM WARNING...WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY OR THE SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT AT THIS TIME.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bet..that's insane for the southeast. 

It's officially gotten bad here. I heard what i thought was thunder but instead I just had a medium sized live oak tree limb crash on my house and the limps of the tree itself is nearly touching the ground which is a first. I know they have grown over the years but damn. Cedar trees look pitiful.  Between that and the cedar trees, part of my driveway is blocked off now.

Easily 0.25 to 0.35 ice accumulation.. Still no warnings here or advisories or warnings just south of here in equally hard hit areas. I will be very lucky if i keep power tonight.

wow - sounds like you are getting clobbered! i am surprised at this point - the power has started to flicker and have heard two big crashes.  it is just POURING down, 28 and dripping cos its raining so hard.  the trees are really leaning now.  gsp has updated their map again, from .04 this morning to .50 now.  wow what a cad storm!

lights have started flicking here

I'm closing in on 2 inches of Sleet here.... around 1/10th inch of ice accretion. IP is still the dominate P-type. Amazing... Temp up to 30.1

amazing!  the sleet ended here and getting tons of freezing rain. however, the .50 or so of sleet has helped with a skating rink on the yard and streets.  its amazing

I am in East Gwinnett. Parents are without power, trees and limbs down everywhere. Surprised NWS has not included Gwinnett in the warning as well as points east towards lookout. Serious problem arising in a hurry.

Cherokee County has declared a local state of emergency.

That's just wild man. I'm about 5 miles east of Snellville and we don't have the slightest bit of ice. Crazy how this has played out.

I am in East Gwinnett. Parents are without power, trees and limbs down everywhere. Surprised NWS has not included Gwinnett in the warning as well as points east towards lookout. Serious problem arising in a hurry.

Cherokee County has declared a local state of emergency.

Do you still have power?? Most of us near the Hamilton Mill area are dark. This surely is Ice Storm Warning criteria I would think. I just heard a tree fall for cryin out loud. It's getting pretty bad around here.

- Buck

i was just typing a post when my power went out for a minute but it came back on for now. constant tree popping now. will be a miracle if it stays.  up to 50,000 now without power /here are a few pics i took 45 minutes ago'

btw nice ffc..this is going on and not worthy of a warning. seriously?

post-12-0-43194300-1424140657_thumb.jpg

post-12-0-66764300-1424140686_thumb.jpg

Spots on NEGA are going to be  smoked with ZR.   I had almost .15 here.   

it appears that is the case, at least for now.  from what i remember in the last big one here (dec 05) power outages started to the sw and moved to the northeast as the ice accumulations caught up.  the only "saving grace" imby now is the rate of rain is so hard it cant all freeze.

limbs are coming down (havent heard any trees or big limbs so far)

Do you still have power?? Most of us near the Hamilton Mill area are dark. This surely is Ice Storm Warning criteria I would think. I just heard a tree fall for cryin out loud. It's getting pretty bad around here.

- Buck

Yes sir but it's bumping off and on. I'm on the Harbins side of 316.

it appears that is the case, at least for now.  from what i remember in the last big one here (dec 05) power outages started to the sw and moved to the northeast as the ice accumulations caught up.  the only "saving grace" imby now is the rate of rain is so hard it cant all freeze.

limbs are coming down (havent heard any trees or big limbs so far)

I remember December 05' well (was still in high school back then). Event started slowly but I remember how power outages moved from SW to NE as ice accretion caught up. Temps with this event are actually colder than the one in 05 (probably explains why more folks are getting sleet this go around). We had 3 days off from schools that lead to an early start for winter break. Probably second or third worst ice storm I've experienced (behind Dec 2002 and an event I recall from Jan 2000... before the Carolina Crusher). This event has a chance to rival it if most locations change over to freezing rain in the upstate. The sleet may be the upstate's saving grace if there is a delayed changeover. 

I remember December 05' well (was still in high school back then). Event started slowly but I remember how power outages moved from SW to NE as ice accretion caught up. Temps with this event are actually colder than the one in 05 (probably explains why more folks are getting sleet this go around). We had 3 days off from schools that lead to an early start for winter break. Probably second or third worst ice storm I've experienced (behind Dec 2002 and an event I recall from Jan 2000... before the Carolina Crusher). This event has a chance to rival it if most locations change over to freezing rain in the upstate. The sleet may be the upstate's saving grace if there is a delayed changeover.

Yeah, still getting heavy sleet here in Greenville. Maybe a little fz rain mixed in. No noticeable icing on trees yet. Still holding at 27.7

lol that was a wild storm and most of us on the board at that time probably remember it. it was also really fun to track.

reports of scattered outages approaching habersham cty but so far so good. one lucky break at this point it seems is the wind (or lack thereof). people have been saying its windy or getting windy but none here right now.  appears we are maybe .3 or .4" its hard to tell cos its dark, wet, slippery and cold lol

Archived