joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16th - February 17th Snow/Ice Storm OBS

superjames1992

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I can say is God is smiling down on MBY...still all sleet, with virtually no ice on trees as of yet. Wonder how much more precip I have left before this ends, and how much might be fz rain..

Yep, still primarily sleet here.  I was hoping for freezing rain, sleet is kinda boring to me.  Maybe GSP was right all along with their ice totals, but for the wrong reasons.

Well, there goes our power.....a lot of NE Gwinnett is now out of power. This sucks!

yeah this is where it stops being fun

Welp...It's like the 4th of July here. Constant booms of transformers and cracks of trees. I thinks a sub station near by got hit. A series of bright green flashes on the western horizion followed by a couple brownouts. Just heard a couple booms and giant buzz sound. Somehow we still have power but canle and internet is down.

over 30,000 without power and counting.

Welp...It's like the 4th of July here. Constant booms of transformers and cracks of trees. I thinks a sub station near by got hit. A series of bright green flashes on the western horizion followed by a couple brownouts. Just heard a couple booms and giant buzz sound. Somehow we still have power but canle and internet is down.

Oh man... sounds like you unfortunately are in the freezing rain bullseye. Hope you can keep power!

But the thing is... latent heat release at the surface due to freezing precipitation is offset by the continued advection of northeasterly flow from VA and northward. The airmass located north of you guys is arctic in nature and should have no problem locking in 20-25F temps across raleigh and points northward.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ppapin/lb13_img/hrrr/hrrr_ncep_2d_flt.php

Yep absolutely correct. The late heat release is a warming process but low level cold air advection can offset it.

Holy Shiatt!!!

Look at the 24 frame loop of this radar around greenville and you can actually see the low level wedge advancing underneath the main precipitation... It is wild!!!

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=GSP-N0Q-1-24

You can also see it with the VAD profiler... very shallow cold air northeasterly flow under 3000 feet with roaring 50-70 knot southerlies just overhead. 

0ZRqJeL.gif

Speaking of winds, they are really picking up here. Probably gusting to 15mph or better. They are also quite high in gainesville. 17mph gusting to 23.

one thing to keep an eye on. Mt oglethorpe in jasper is up to 32 after being below freezing all day. The sensor is at an elevation of around 2800 feet so It's normally a good indicator for warm or cold air advection at 925mb..indeed gainesville is at 31 now, which is up a degree. It's not much but maybe the waa or latent heat release is starting to work in a little bit. On the other hand, freezing temps are down to loganville and nearly social circle, which is pretty far south.

edit..well between the time i wrote that and going back to look, it's back down to 30 :arrowhead:

FWIW, my weather station at our cabin in Bent Tree across from Mt. Oglethorpe is reporting 34.7 degrees (altitude 2300).

The situation has gone down hill big time in the last 15-20 minutes here. We have has mostly fzra with a little sleet mixed in which has kept the roads relatively OK but now we have switched to mostly moderate sleet. Everything, including roads, are now completely ice covered. Temp holding at 27

33 and rain all evening. The weenie part in me says this sucks, but the common sense part in me is thankful we won't have any power issues. I imagine there will be lots of black ice on the roads once we go sub 32.

Prayers up for everyone to my north and east! Hope y'all get a big storm but with no power problems!

A lot of lessons about model performance with a wedge in place will be learned from this storm. 

33 and rain all evening. The weenie part in me says this sucks, but the common sense part in me is thankful we won't have any power issues. I imagine there will be lots of black ice on the roads once we go sub 32.

Prayers up for everyone to my north and east! Hope y'all get a big storm but with no power problems!

A lot of lessons about model performance with a wedge in place will be learned from this storm.

My fingers are crossed that we stay mostly sleet. I don't mind a solid glaze up to 0.25", but no power outages, please.

Archived