SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 16th - February 17th Snow/Ice Storm OBS

superjames1992

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going outside here close to Lake Murray shows just how close we were.  35F, trying to drop slightly and sleet pellets mixing in.  In fact, the trees have that certain "beaded water drop" look that slowly turns to icicles if it was cold enough of course.

I expect temps to gradually try and climb from here on out, but whew it was close! 

NE GA, I feel for you guys.  You're in a very bad spot right now and I'm not quite sure I see much help on the way for you guys unless the WAA can save you and even that is doubtful. The fact of GSP being predominantly sleet right now shows that Lookout's fears of the models being too warm were correct.

In fact, the ARW simulated "frozen line" really wasn't too bad last night.  Probably the best looking of the entire bunch!

Sleet still pouring down. Walked out a few minutes ago and tried to dig down to the pavement. Had to use a shovel! A very light glaze starting to show up on the branches now, so some freezing rain mixing in. It's already an ice rink here, should be even worse tomorrow morning after it's all said and done. Biggest question now is what kind of staying power will this have?

Going outside here close to Lake Murray shows just how close we were.  35F, trying to drop slightly and sleet pellets mixing in.  In fact, the trees have that certain "beaded water drop" look that slowly turns to icicles if it was cold enough of course.

I expect temps to gradually try and climb from here on out, but whew it was close! 

NE GA, I feel for you guys.  You're in a very bad spot right now and I'm not quite sure I see much help on the way for you guys unless the WAA can save you and even that is doubtful. The fact of GSP being predominantly sleet right now shows that Lookout's fears of the models being too warm were correct.

In fact, the ARW simulated "frozen line" really wasn't too bad last night.  Probably the best looking of the entire bunch!

Spots on NEGA are going to be  smoked with ZR.   I had almost .15 here.   

33 and rain all evening. The weenie part in me says this sucks, but the common sense part in me is thankful we won't have any power issues. I imagine there will be lots of black ice on the roads once we go sub 32.

Prayers up for everyone to my north and east! Hope y'all get a big storm but with no power problems!

A lot of lessons about model performance with a wedge in place will be learned from this storm. 

You and me both. The roads here are going to be bad in the morning, that's for sure.

We've only  had a little scattered 'stuff' this evening. I'm really surprised that it's forming puddles on the road in front of the house, since we haven't been above freezing since Saturday night when that front blasted through. It's currently 27°/19°. DP has risen from a low of -6° earlier this afternoon. Going to be interesting overnight. Good luck to all of y'all.

Archived