joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16th - February 17th Snow/Ice Storm OBS

superjames1992

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow...whomever the person that stated "A Sleet bomb is headed to CLT" was TOTALLY ON POINT! Great observation my friend! We are receiving HEAVY Sleet and snow is even mixing in well. We have a 1/2" on the ground and from the looks of the radar, we still have a LOT left. THANK GOD for more ip and less zr. Hoping we see a BONAFIDE SNOWSTORM soon with NO MIXING. :) 

Downstream, you've got heavy sleet.

Moderate sleet in Elizabeth/Plaza Midwood....

Roads are now turning white. The rain that was having trouble freezing on the road due to traffic, is now appearing to conglomerate into a treacherous, soon to be an almost impassable mess due to the sleet.

Hopefully it continues in lieu of more rain...please!

Me likes me power.

Yea getting some very fine super small dendrites mixing in here but not amounting to much. Ground and streets are now coated.

Yeah I've noticed that too standing under the flood lights.  Wasn't sure if it was mist or super fine snow.  I prob have about 1" of sleet now with the bottom 1/4 being solid ice from the fzrn earlier.  Temp still 27.1°.  Can't imagine getting lower than this.

Moderate sleet in Elizabeth/Plaza Midwood....

Roads are now turning white. The rain that was having trouble freezing on the road due to traffic, is now appearing to conglomerate into a treacherous, soon to be an almost impassable mess due to the sleet.

Hopefully it continues in lieu of more rain...please!

Me likes me power.

What's wild is it looks like we still have some heavier stuff to get through looking at radar. Lulls should be ZR which will make a nice ice sandwich. No work in CLT tomorrow.

Frz Rain/ Sleet has been all sleet now for a little over an hour. Temperature has fallen from 27 to 24 with the ground becoming covered One of the more impressive CAD events I can remember. It looks like the southern foothills and piedmont have mostly dodged another significant ice storm. Ice accrual looks to be about 0.1 to 0.15in.

Still mostly sleet here, with some freezing rain mixed in just south of 85. Temp is at 29.1. Hopefully the end of the precip beats the warm air. :)

Temp just shot up 1 degree in five minutes, only got an hour or two left of precip. Might be a situation where when the precip stops, and temps rise over night, doing a good bit of melting!?

It's gotten pretty rough around here. Still Mod. Frz rain. Went outside....looks like no one in the entire area of our county has power. Pitch dark except for transformers blowing.

sounds like mby may have lucked out on losing trees.  they are really bent and i have heard a few but no loud bangs or larger trees or limbs.  other than lights flickering and resetting everything still have power too!

I had the kids come listen and we would wait for everytime the wind blew.  When that front pushes through... have mercy.

wow - maybe that will stay away from here lol

i am thinking that the period of heavy sleet may have saved mby from what yall are seeing

Boy I did not expect the CAD to perform this well. I knew it would perform a little better than model expectations, but this is amazing, given the lack of a strong parent high in the NE.

Still moderate sleet here. I'd say we're over a half inch now. That stuff is not so easy to walk on, surprisingly.

Archived