joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16th - February 17th Snow/Ice Storm OBS

superjames1992

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. I wonder how much longer we have until the switch to fz rain?

the rap has busted terribly down this way and in general  but it's soundings show GSP having 900 to 950mb temps at gsp as low as -6c. It does show the warm nose increasing over the next few hours but it's borderline as far as changing over for at least the next 3 hours... but with each run the warm nose thickens/warms less and less or is delayed so it might stick around a while.

I'm wondering that myself. It really is adding up pretty fast at the moment. Temp is stuck at 30.5 here as well.

I have a feeling they are going to increase a little bit

Sawnee which is my EMC has been ticking up in outages the last hour, the below freezing line continues to hold and in fact is creeping a touch further SW.

You made a bold statement and it was an awesome call, definitely something to mark down for the future, NWS should learn from this one.

Sleet is absolutely saving GSP right now.  It has been sleeting for a couple of hours now.  This very easily could have been ZR.  Very little ice accumulation thus far.

Yes... the sleet right now is a saving grace for sure. I am worried it will still switch over to freezing rain as the warm nose becomes stronger, but for now this will keep down ice accretion amounts on trees and powerlines. 

You can see the the precip type has been predominantly sleet at GSP. Very deep cold reservoir underneath that warm nose currently. It is forecasted to erode away as WAA associated with continued precipitation occurs. Should see a transition over to primarily freezing rain later tonight.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ppapin/lb13_img/hrrr/hrrr_ncep_snd_gsp.php

Y16RDvT.png

You can see the the precip type has been predominantly sleet at GSP. Very deep cold reservoir underneath that warm nose currently. It is forecasted to erode away as WAA associated with continued precipitation occurs. Should see a transition over to primarily freezing rain later tonight.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ppapin/lb13_img/hrrr/hrrr_ncep_snd_gsp.php

Great explainer (if rather depressing). Thanks!

btw, ffc is dropping the ball pretty badly around the athens area imho. First it should be a warning where there is an advisory but more importantly, oconee and oglethorpe counties do not even have an advisory and yet i know there is major icing going on in parts of those two counties...especially oglethorpe.

btw, ffc is dropping the ball pretty badly around the athens area imho. First it should be a warning where there is an advisory but more importantly, oconee and oglethorpe counties do not even have an advisory and yet i know there is major icing going on in parts of those two counties...especially oglethorpe.

How bad did models bust on temps? Which one was closest?

45 and finally some light rain

yay for rain! :D 

70 and sunny here waiting on my rain. We can both enjoy our rain and power and patiently wait for our snow that's coming in the next 10 days.

39 and holding here  :lol:  :hug: 

I don't know MetalMan, if that cad surge keeps coming it might get here in a few days, and I'll be in sleet too, lol.  As long as it's taken the rain to get here, it might be tomorrow night and then it'll be cold enough for sure :)  I don't mind all the snow reports, but the heavy sleet north of Atl. is making me grit my teeth, lol.  T

:wub: 

Is this rain ever gonna get here?    :axe:

Not a drop has fallen imby   :(  

Archived