joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16th - February 17th Snow/Ice Storm OBS

superjames1992

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Down to 27 here in Easley - been sleeting moderately for quite awhile. My deck is actually covered :wub:  Road and walkway getting slick very quickly now with the sun goiing down. My wife is still at work so I am a little concerned about coming home in a couple hours :yikes:

If only this had overperformed at the mid levels and all this had been snow :P

To me this is a really memorable bust for my location/north ga and parts of sc. I mean none of the models were even close to being cold enough. You name the model and they were wrong..by a lot. The gfs was probably the closest as it did catch on a little bit but it only managed to get me down to 34 or so before going back up.

rgem handled it quite well i think.

To me this is a really memorable bust for my location/north ga and parts of sc. I mean none of the models were even close to being cold enough. You name the model and they were wrong..by a lot. The gfs was probably the closest as it did catch on a little bit but it only managed to get me down to 34 or so before going back up.

Yea that was very surprising I thought you guys and a good chunk of the upstate would dodge a lot of the ZR... But just goes to show you can't underestimate a wedge especially when there has been Arctic air around. That to me was probably the most important element to this storm. All said and done though this one was a weird one I'm sure for forecasters.

Are some people actually disappointed they aren't getting freezing rain? Hah, that's nuts.

I can never understand why people would want that. It's pure misery.

I will say, if there is any positive, there is a point where ice storms can be beautiful to look at, until the trees start snapping and power is out for a week.

You mean freezing rain? Things about going to go downhill very quickly in Greenville, SC this evening I am afraid.

Yea, this is setting up to be worse than 2005 IMO.  We've got quite a river of moisture pointed our way on the radar and there's no way the sleet can hold on much longer. With temps in the upper 20's and another inch of liquid heading this way i'm thinking widespread 1/2 inch ice totals are on the way.

Edit: My temp is still dropping, i'm at 29.2/27.0 right now.

Are some people actually disappointed they aren't getting freezing rain? Hah, that's nuts.

I can never understand why people would want that. It's pure misery.

I will say, if there is any positive, there is a point where ice storms can be beautiful to look at, until the trees start snapping and power is out for a week.

I was telling my wife people forget how bad ZR storms are here. It's been like 12 years since we've had a really bad one. I'll gladly take getting screwed on precip when it's ZR. I don't want to miss work bad enough to sit in my house by a candle listing to branches break.

I have never seen such disagreement of models right up to this event and while it is in progress. 31/28 Ice starting to form above ground.

No doubt.

I have been all IP (with maybe a little snow :) since 4pm. Closing in on 1/2" on pure sleet. Latest HRRR keeps my area in the upper 20's with .75" for a total!

850's luck great right now. I assume this will change, but with a North wind... Maybe not.

I assume this will turn over to FR at some point. But damn, at the sleet...

Good luck to all who gets more FR!!

Yea, this is setting up to be worse than 2005 IMO.  We've got quite a river of moisture pointed our way on the radar and there's no way the sleet can hold on much longer. With temps in the upper 20's and another inch of liquid heading this way i'm thinking widespread 1/2 inch ice totals are on the way.

Edit: My temp is still dropping, i'm at 29.2/27.0 right now.

WOW!!!! Unbelievable bust on this storm for N GA so far. 

Lookout tried to warn you guys.  Listen to that man, he knows his stuff.

Wouldn't be suprised to see a pellet or two down here in the Midlands, but looking like we are going to escape with some rain thankfully.

Archived