• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 16th - February 17th Snow/Ice Storm OBS

superjames1992

gainesville says 30 still setting here at 28 imby its crazy amount of ice here in south hall

starting to see some outages http://outagemap.georgiapower.com/external/default.html

wow i am impressed - didnt expect to see it that far south (heck for a while i was worried i would be too warm for anything frozen).  looks like the outages are increasing out to the west. radar is lit up like a proverbial christmas tree lol

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's your sense of what tomorrow will look like for us down here Phil?

From the reports, it seems that the warm nose has been penetrating further north than forecasted, but the cold nose underneath is also colder and deeper than forecasted. Typically stuff... models poorly handle low-level thermodynamics and error on the side of washing out gradients. I'd say even on the NC/VA border there will be a decent amount of sleet mixing in with the snow, probably cutting down total accumulations.

Temp continues to drop here... 28.7 next to Lake Hartwell. Yet GSP says we warm above freezing by 10pm.....???

Still all sleet here. I can tell b/c the sleet on car tops can be brushed off, thus leading me to believe no rain is mixing in...

Edit: Scratch that, sleet coating is now a solid mass indicating that freezing rain is mixing in.

i didnt know there was any freezing rain mixing here either til i went out and the trees are coated in ice. it looks, feels and sounds like sleet but obvious frz rain is in there too

I was telling my wife people forget how bad ZR storms are here. It's been like 12 years since we've had a really bad one. I'll gladly take getting screwed on precip when it's ZR. I don't want to miss work bad enough to sit in my house by a candle listing to branches break.

I haven't been in a major ice storm in a long while and I don't want to. I still remember. I remember the great N. MS storm of '94. Luckily I was far enough south to miss that, but I drove thru the area afterwards. It was like a war zone....but that storm was on a whole other level than this will be...(God I hope).

Spent multiple days without power during Katrina. That was no fun, but we got lucky comparatively.

I don't know of people have even considered that we could be days without power and it's supposed to get into single digit lows in a few days. Miserable if not dangerous stuff.

And to think, I'm supposed to be on a flight to Florida tomorrow....ugghhhhh

Holding here around 30 degrees with moderate rain.  I'm not sure if our power is going to make it......it had already begun to flicker a little and the ice is accumulating very rapidly.  Getting ice accretion here on the ground as well in the grass, etc.  Radar looks good (or bad depending on your perspective) for quite a long time.  Got the flashlights ready.

- Buck

I can't believe how much forecasts busted temps there.  I'm in Lexington, SC and we had southeasterly winds warm us up to 41F, but areas just to our northwest like Newberry held steady with winds out of the northeast.  Our have shifted back easterly, but I think we will still be to warm.  Dewpoints are still in the low 20s and we've had no precip yet.

Radar is struggling in central NC but upstream is impressive. Definitely a decent ice storm here probably, though not enough for widespread power outages.

I dunno man. Back in the southern piedmont it's getting bad quick. 27 and light/moderate RZ is doing its trick on roads...and soon trees. Accretion to the max at these temps. 

The image I posted this morning gives a good indication as to how Northeast, Georgia busted so badly on temperatures. Check out this Northeast wind feed coming straight down the backside of the mountains. The 4km NAM, while doing a terrible job on it's temperature forecast, absolutely nailed the temperature gradient boundary based on it's surface wind field...

post-309-0-09367700-1424132331_thumb.gif

I can't believe how much forecasts busted temps there.  I'm in Lexington, SC and we had southeasterly winds warm us up to 41F, but areas just to our northwest like Newberry held steady with winds out of the northeast.  Our have shifted back easterly, but I think we will still be to warm.  Dewpoints are still in the low 20s and we've had no precip yet.

Never saw the SE windshift here. Didn't get out of the mid 30s. Just starting to get some rain right now.

DP in the low 20s...

He said he would kiss everyone's ass on the board if the GFS was right about it warming fast.  Luckily, we all were spared

:lmao: Yeah..you all and me both.  I guess I can put away the chap stick :snowman:

Been watching the SPC Mesoscale Analysis, the below freezing bulge into NE GA has been pushing slightly SE/continuing to hold. Will be interesting around here if it continues to hold.

Temps have not budged here and I'm growing increasingly concerned that we won't warm up as I see more and more 20s showing up in the upstate while northeasterly flow has been increasing. At the least it's probably offsetting the latent heat release which means temps are stable/aren't about to rise.  In fact, a couple of stations south of me have actually dropped the past hour which means the warm air advection is being held at bay. Which is bad news because it's actually starting to get bad out there. It's been mostly freezing rain here but despite this the ground is now covered in ice. Limps are starting to droop noticably and there is probably close to warning criteria ice out there.

Holding here around 30 degrees with moderate rain.  I'm not sure if our power is going to make it......it had already begun to flicker a little and the ice is accumulating very rapidly.  Getting ice accretion here on the ground as well in the grass, etc.  Radar looks good (or bad depending on your perspective) for quite a long time.  Got the flashlights ready.

- Buck

I'm wondering that myself. It really is adding up pretty fast at the moment. Temp is stuck at 30.5 here as well.

wow i am impressed - didnt expect to see it that far south (heck for a while i was worried i would be too warm for anything frozen).  looks like the outages are increasing out to the west. radar is lit up like a proverbial christmas tree lol

I have a feeling they are going to increase a little bit

Archived