joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering that 75% of our recent winters have been warm, having only 3 out of the next 5 winters be warm is actually colder than expected

2009-10: cold

2010-11: cold

2011-12: warm

2012-13: warm

2013-14: cold

2014-15: probably coldish

We've actually had a fair number of cold winters lately, though if you look back further there were several mild ones in the mid-late 2000s.

06UT GFS shows no love for BWI.  It features  Miller-B Nova Scotia specials.

The first on Thursday gives  0.03" of precip (snow). 

The second on Saturday night gives  0.02" of precip (snow).

The 17th looks more interesting but only 0.04" of precip

After a 10-day cold-period it warms into the 40s on the 20th and 21st with heavy rain, mostly on the 21st

The EURO is a more optimistic for this weekend giving BWI ~2 inches of snow Saturday night despite the 850 low passing to our north.  It gives less precip than the GFS on Thursday

I thought the 0z Euro looked pretty good all things considered.  I'll take the suppressed look for the next week threat and the weekend clipper looked decent.  GEFS look awful for both though.  

Edit...should add that the GEFS mean looks awful.  There are a few nice members for the next week event.  

I would actually love to see that.  It would be painful if it weren't such a comical ending.  

A winter would not be complete in this area without big snows to the north and to the south of the area.  That being said, I'm not buying the Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina HECS yet.  This thing could be in Chicago by Feb 18th.  None of the models or their ensembles can be trusted this year in the mid to long range.  We'll see how it shakes out once inside 100 hour lead.  We probably have a better chance with these upcoming clippers than the southern stream storm though given the seasonal trend.   

I thought the 0z Euro looked pretty good all things considered.  I'll take the suppressed look for the next week threat and the weekend clipper looked decent.  GEFS look awful for both though.  

Edit...should add that the GEFS mean looks awful.  There are a few nice members for the next week event.  

I don't think you can say much about next weeks storm as the euro ens members are all over the place with the low track ranging from Ohio to off the SC coast with their lows. 

I don't think you can say much about next weeks storm as the euro ens members are all over the place with the low track ranging from Ohio to off the SC coast with their lows.

Agree Wes. It's been that way for at least the last 3-4 runs. Having a small cluster with a southern solution is a good thing. We need wiggle room in that direction. Being on the southern edge d4+ has been pretty fruitless.

Archived