wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could just come out and say that it won't snow and you'd have a really good chance at being correct.  No models needed.

I kinda like midweek next week for now.. but that's about it. We might be done after that. 

I would actually love to see that.  It would be painful if it weren't such a comical ending.  

I'm rooting for winter to end like it started with a Miller A with a perfect track but not enough cold air (if I'm remembering correctly in November). Our winter misery is a flat circle.

Other painful possible endings:

• March Miller A with 10 hours of moderate snow all during daylight with temps at 35F.
  • 10 days of record cold in late March followed by a rain storm
  • Florida snow
  • Miller B with freezing rain changing to cold rain followed by a meteor strike that vaporizes the oceans 

Or we can just rationally discuss what chance there may be while acknowledging the risks.

no agreed

I was just thinking about my initial thoughts in the old thread that we have to endure 2 clippers until we get our chance

anything that falls from the clippers is a fluke/bonus, and then we wait to see how next week shakes out

12z GFS likes that inverted/norlun trough with weekend clipper bomb .. sketch though i guess we did sketch with the blizzard.. undoubtedly more likely N/E of DC Balt if it happens tho. 

Yeah.  It's been a consistently advertised feature, but I can't see it getting much farther S/W of Philly given where this system is originating.  But, looks like maybe a cartopper for most folks at least?  

Yeah.  It's been a consistently advertised feature, but I can't see it getting much farther S/W of Philly given where this system is originating.  But, looks like maybe a cartopper for most folks at least?  

trough axis is still a bit too far east

as the u/l comes down from Canada it looks like it wants to swing out a bit to the west which would get it further south but that ridge won't allow it

as the u/l comes down from Canada it looks like it wants to swing out a bit to the west which would get it further south but that ridge won't allow it

GFS keeps snow going overnight Saturday.  We seem to be good at long duration snows totaling 1-2" this year, so maybe this works out for us too. Will certainly be cold enough.  

If you compare h5 @ 78 to 84 from 6z you can see the lead piece of energy carve things out a little better. End result is marginally different. It's not a good track with the ull either way. Diving down and spinning overhead isn't going to do it. Pretty energetic overall though. We're in the game for snow to fall on Saturday at least.

Yes, it's close but not quite able to dig under a bit farther.  If the ridge to the west was sharper (I think), that may be able to happen.  Either that, or hope the darned thing blows up sooner and closer to the coast so we get some backlash moisture.

GFS keeps snow going overnight Saturday.  We seem to be good at long duration snows totaling 1-2" this year, so maybe this works out for us too. Will certainly be cold enough.  

Yeah, if it's going to be brutally cold and windy on Sunday...would be nice to see at least some snow to go along with it and give the appearance of being wintry.  I'm dubious we see more than flakes, but we'll see how that evolves.

They're both very powerful at 500mb so some snow does seem to fly. Though I still have trouble buying why it's going to keep snowing for a long while so lightly on the backside like the Euro and such. It seems the trend with the first may be slower to bomb out now and I'd kind of imagine the same with the second. Maybe NE Md has some more hope.. I don't think there's much upside for most of us though. 

Much stronger vort out west for next week's deal. Much different than the pancake look that's been advertised.

Not sure that's what we necessarily want...at least not too much?  Well, hard to say...fine line between too squashed and stronger, fringing us or allowing too much warmth to move in.  Argh!

Not sure that's what we necessarily want...at least not too much? Well, hard to say...fine line between too squashed and stronger, fringing us or allowing too much warmth to move in. Argh!

We want it stronger. Antecedent airmass should be good even with a west track. But it has to be juiced to get a front end thump. Sheared mess has little room for error because the precip real estate is so small.

We want it stronger. Antecedent airmass should be good even with a west track. But it has to be juiced to get a front end thump. Sheared mess has little room for error because the precip real estate is so small.

Agreed...that's more or less what I was thinking, but the way things have gone a "stronger vort" is cause for some alarm (or at least makes one think, "here we go again!"). :lol:   But in this case as you say, we have quite and antecedent cold air mass over us.  Maybe, just maybe, that will do us some good this time around.  We definitely need it to be juiced for some good overrunning.

Archived