• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

This isn't directed straight at you, as "it's cold, so the ratios will be good" does seem to be a pretty common thought.

Others who know way more that I do have addressed this before. Ratios are not about surface temps - they're about temps in the snow growth zone. It's completely plausible to be incredibly cold at the surface but have sh**ty ratios.

I understand that, but i was referring to the 850 temps which are very cold as well. Either way the storm is a week away so it was silly of me to even mention ratios.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro ensembles are pretty impressive. Not that a big storm is a lock but that almost every west track has very cold air wedged all the way down to GA. Some west tracks have the low surrounded by below freezing air. I haven't seen many scenarios like that before

Bunch of good hits too but mixed as to be expected.

Euro ensembles are pretty impressive. Not that a big storm is a lock but that almost every west track has very cold air wedged all the way down to GA. Some west tracks have the low surrounded by below freezing air. I haven't seen many scenarios like that before

Bunch of good hits too but mixed as to be expected.

If it is still looking good Thursday night i say you start the threat thread.

If it is still looking good Thursday night i say you start the threat thread.

Inside of 72 should be the rule. Especially with this setup. I doubt we're going to see some pretty consolidated low track up from the deep south with model agreement. This one has the typical flags. We start threads too early. D3.5 is still well within lucy range.

This isn't directed straight at you, as "it's cold, so the ratios will be good" does seem to be a pretty common thought.

Others who know way more that I do have addressed this before.  Ratios are not about surface temps - they're about temps in the snow growth zone.  It's completely plausible to be incredibly cold at the surface but have sh**ty ratios.

More than just that even. Have this bookmarked and its a good read. The author is a pretty solid poster on here ;)

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/research/snow2a/snow2a.pdf

Inside of 72 should be the rule. Especially with this setup. I doubt we're going to see some pretty consolidated low track up from the deep south with model agreement. This one has the typical flags. We start threads too early. D3.5 is still well within lucy range.

Well i hope you will be starting it Saturday morning then. We need your ju ju.

Well i hope you will be starting it Saturday morning then. We need your ju ju.

If we get a couple solid runs thurs/fri then someone will surely beat me to it. And we run the risk of another disaster thread to toss on the rubbish pile.

There's a group of euro ens members that have a second wave up from the south d9-10. If we get two storms in 1 week then I'm going to troll the despair thread with abandon.

If we get a couple solid runs thurs/fri then someone will surely beat me to it. And we run the risk of another disaster thread to toss on the rubbish pile.

There's a group of euro ens members that have a second wave up from the south d9-10. If we get two storms in 1 week then I'm going to troll the despair thread with abandon.

It's on both operationals, Euro and GFS, too.

Did you chuckle when you wrote that?

This winter has had more than its fair share of stupidity on all sides. I actually give props to the jumpers who stayed jumped. Plenty of jumpers who now think we're on the cusp of a last year repeat. 

With all due respect, because you are one of the most knowledgeable and effective communicators of reliable information on this board, but virtually all of us have punted/jumped in some fashion this winter. Some have quit, some have just stopped getting emotionally invested. It's hard for people to hold onto their early thoughts on this winter when the pattern goes from bad for all (Dec) to decent for "us" (early Jan) to awful for anyone south of 40 N (last 3 or so weeks).

To your credit--you noted that we don't do back to back +climo here well at all, which was something I took to heart.

Personally, I've said that I thought we'd see more measurable, and the next week looks about as good as any other period--especially Tues, but unless we see a pretty dramatic turnaround (which could happen) I'm not sure how this winter is looked back upon with positive feelings or more pertinent to the conversation, how anyone couldn't understand the more colorful jumping when the contrast between the haves and have nots is so bright .

Anyway, it's Feb. One week at a time I guess. I like that we have a good signal for cold air swinging in, and that it looks to be in place early next week. The simpler/colder the better, and that's all I'm hoping for on the models the next few days. The flags will be there regardless I imagine.

I'm just having fun. If people can incessantly troll failure then I can certainly troll success if it happens. I've been doing this a long time. I've experienced every kind of winter you can have since joining eastern almost 10 years ago. It just doesn't get to me like it used to. I'll keep my eyes open until it's clear it's over sometime in March. Sometimes that comes really early, sometimes it teases, and then there was last year. I still enjoy the chase even though we've whiffed since mid Jan and will continue to do so until the game is over.

I'd be more surprised if we blanked out the next month vs getting an "acceptable" storm. Acceptable is up to the individual.

The funny thing is this winter is pretty normal for these parts. Not the funnest but normal nonetheless.

The one thing I won't do is let a crappy winter cloud my vision so bad I can't enjoy chasing snow anymore.

This winter has had more than its fair share of stupidity on all sides. I actually give props to the jumpers who stayed jumped. Plenty of jumpers who now think we're on the cusp of a last year repeat. 

Hey, when you got no money to lose, might as well roll the dice.   Difference now is, if it fails...<shrugs shoulders> 

Euro/GFS/GGEM all have a storm impacting us at basically the exact same time.

GEFS and Canadian ensembles have narrowed the spread on timing as well.  The meteograms look as good as I've seen them all winter at this range.  Rain is still a concern, but for now the balance is tipped towards snow.

I'm not sure I ever jump...I mean I look at models daily, but I do get tired. Even in 2010 and last year, I started getting tired about this time. If it snows, fantastic. If it doesn't, I'm just closer to being outside more.

Hey, when you got no money to lose, might as well roll the dice.   Difference now is, if it fails...<shrugs shoulders> 

I don't really care that much either way.. the psyche of the forum is an interesting thing though. 

I'm not sure I ever jump...I mean I look at models daily, but I do get tired. Even in 2010 and last year, I started getting tired about this time. If it snows, fantastic. If it doesn't, I'm just closer to being outside more.

yeah basically. bring on the cold and rainy 40s! ;p

so a model can predict the origin location at a 5 day lead time when it's "pertinent" -- i never notice that logical switch in the source code 

I will give you an easy solution to your continued defense of the undefendable.  It's called "need to know" How you would actually parameterize it all I will leave to you good and smart people.

In the mid atlantic, in winter, we do not need to know ANY of the endless possibilities that May exists in days 5/10/15/20. It's a waste of time and money and does not work anyway. If there is a low pressure developing along the gulf, or a clipper diving out of North Dakota then zero in on the best and most accurate possible solutions for the 1-3 day. Then, you will have something valuable and reliable and might not find your undies getting in a bunch so much.

Archived