• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 6-7 Storm Discussion: we’re due?

WxUSAF

Bummer. Good luck far N/W folks! This doesn’t look like the one that’s going to break the record long streak without 1” of snow for any of DC-Baltimore-Philly-NYC. Maybe IAD still has a chance? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Unfortunately, when we were already with little wiggle room a few days ago and given the temperature profile leading in, this going northwest was always the most likely result. Given what we have seen with the lack of cold the past however many years, it only reinforced that. Good luck to all of the climo favored folks! Hope you get a nice thump and have a fun afternoon.

11 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

The trends for this aren’t good. I feel it’s entirely possible that by this time tomorrow we are looking at a snow to start briefly before changing to light rain basically region wide. 

At this point I'll even say that the last several runs do equal a trend....bummer

2 hours ago, Weather Will said:

WB 6Z GFS....again have to watch the temps.  But wintry mix for NW zones is on the table for Saturday.  Details TBD.

IMG_2667.png

IMG_2668.png

So wait VA went from an historic snow event to an ice storm in 36 hours? Honest question, haven't been following that area.

10 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

So wait VA went from an historic snow event to an ice storm in 36 hours? Honest question, haven't been following that area.

Yes Blacksburg actually wrote a nice little AFD this morning talking about the fact that they had a meeting with neighboring Wfo’s along with WPC. Foothills of NC went ahead and issued a winter storm watch post meeting but Blacksburg didn’t feel like they have the 50% threshold met yet with snow/ice to pull the trigger. I’ve seen some models pump out like .4 of ice down here which would be really bad.. if that starts to come to fruition I could see them possibly changing their mind as that would be pretty impactful in this area and the first moderate winter event in a couple years. 

• Like 2

Will not be surprised if there is zero accumulation of any snow that may fall here.  I can only imagine precip rates will not overcome warmth and afternoon timing.  This feels like one of those events where rural and elevated areas get accumulation and  Stephens City gets some slush in the grass. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Will not be surprised if there is zero accumulation of any snow that may fall here.  I can only imagine precip rates will not overcome warmth and afternoon timing.  This feels like one of those events where rural and elevated areas get accumulation and  Stephens City gets some slush in the grass. 

I think 1-3” before the flip is a reasonable call Loudoun-MoCo and west. Fairfax county might struggle to reach an inch. Higher elevations or west of 81 may see 2-4” locally 5”

Best we can hope for is that thermals tick a bit colder and we hold the flip off an extra hour or two

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, EstorilM said:

Wasn’t the euro saying “warmer, faster, and NW” like 4-5 days ago, when we kept calling it an outlier? 

It drew a line right over us 5 days ago. We want that line to be 50-100 miles south of us so we’re still good even if it trended north even a little

55 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Ice is becoming more of a concern this morning in Augusta County.  My 3 model blend for 10:1 snow is still 5 inches but now up to .40" FR and 1 inch of sleet.

29 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

You will get snow. The dew points and temps out here heading in are good. It's not gonna be the foot+ that was being spit out by the models a couple of days ago. But it will snow out here. 

• Like 1

Sterling WFO seems to have thrown in the towel. Given that it’s Thursday, I don’t think you can say they “got it wrong” - but certainly a very different forecast than a few days ago. 

“….

P-type is likely to start as light
snow given temp profiles mostly below freezing, especially west of I-
95. However, most models have trended warmer in the low-levels east
of the Blue Ridge, especially with the 850mb being at or above
freezing east of US-15. As a result, a wintry mix is likely to
start, then quickly transition to a cold rain. The chance for any
accumulating snow just along/east of I-95 looks very low at this
time.” 
  • Sad 1

Been awhile...

I could see some "boom" areas in the far NW burbs of the I-95 corridor if there's heavy rates late Saturday afternoon into Saturday evening, otherwise I'm more pessimistic than optimistic. Lines up fairly well with the NWS at least from Philly southward.

image.png.7bc0fd35434d5b0a2b370ec0f8a0e4f8.png

• Like 25
  • Haha 1

Sounding IMBY per NAM (looking at 3k and 12k) and I hover right at 31/32 the entire time. If it's dumping precip, it should be snow. A sneaky warm nose pops up around hr66 but precip is moving out by then. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

You will get snow. The dew points and temps out here heading in are good. It's not gonna be the foot+ that was being spit out by the models a couple of days ago. But it will snow out here. 

How confident are you?

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic