Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2024 -- Discussion

moneypitmike

2 hours ago, Prismshine Productions said:

Everyone complaining about below average snowfall would not last one winter in the south...

I have been here 3 weeks and feel spoiled from the 13" of snow I have gotten so far considering I could potentially total out by the end of January with more snow than I have seen in my ENTIRE 29 YEARS OF EXISTENCE (18.5") if the 24th is a thumper, just my perspective

Sent from my SM-S146VL using Tapatalk

Apples to oranges, it’s one of several reasons I don’t live in the south.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Apples to oranges, it’s one of several reasons I don’t live in the south.

Yea. Perspective is great. SEMATT is experiencing it now. But, when you avg 45”+ per season, and you’re possibly facing a back to back ratter, we express it in a variety of ways. Some whine, some chuckle, and some bitch about the whiners which just adds to the whining.

If we lived in a tropical climate like the SE, we’d have zero expectations (like a bad pro sports team) so any snow is amazing (any win is a great win). We don’t live there, we have expectations…and we expect to be a playoff caliber team every season. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The SWFE signal is def growing on the ensembles too for next Tuesday night/Wednesday. If that doesn’t crap out in the next couple of cycles, it’s probably going to be a legit multi-hazard event. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The SWFE signal is def growing on the ensembles too for next Tuesday night/Wednesday. If that doesn’t crap out in the next couple of cycles, it’s probably going to be a legit multi-hazard event. 

Sounds good, even my 0.1" that I just got feels like a win.....keep them coming

24 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The five tool player of weather.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I already think it is ...

It's got overwhelming support now in the ensemble synoptic evolution through that period. 

But it's easy to see why it's setting up along the lines of 'synoptic theory'.   We have had an active N branch for the last 10 days ( bringing cold to the middle latitude continent and so forth...), and it abandons, but doesn't retreat fully. It really backs out to about 55 N... but this is a base-line confluence result.   As the +PP structures and moves by to the N, it's going to have to instantiate an isentropic lifting interface where the return flow around the oriented ...  well, fuggit - here

this is the preceding day, the 23rd... you can see the the return flow is likely happening whether this high builds in from the NW or not... *BUT*, because it is... the overrunning is caused by the high obtruding into the region as the return flow is then forced to intersect.  

image.png.019ade42251788ac12cc1cff7d9174f3.png

The next day, ...  boom- it's really the high pressure that causes this to happen... not a low pressure in this overall scenario.

image.png.724d68e676214781ca3a86b906a5973b.png

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. Perspective is great. SEMATT is experiencing it now. But, when you avg 45”+ per season, and you’re possibly facing a back to back ratter, we express it in a variety of ways. Some whine, some chuckle, and some bitch about the whiners which just adds to the whining.

If we lived in a tropical climate like the SE, we’d have zero expectations (like a bad pro sports team) so any snow is amazing (any win is a great win). We don’t live there, we have expectations…and we expect to be a playoff caliber team every season. 

"some bitch about the whiners which just adds to the whining."

Why can't folks see this?

32 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's got overwhelming support now in the ensemble synoptic evolution through that period. 

But it's easy to see why it's setting up along the lines of 'synoptic theory'.   We have had an active N branch for the last 10 days ( bringing cold to the middle latitude continent and so forth...), and it abandons, but doesn't retreat fully. It really backs out to about 55 N... but this is a base-line confluence result.   As the +PP structures and moves by to the N, it's going to have to instantiate an isentropic lifting interface where the return flow around the oriented ...  well, fuggit - here

this is the preceding day, the 23rd... you can see the the return flow is likely happening whether this high builds in from the NW or not... *BUT*, because it is... the overrunning is caused by the high obtruding into the region as the return flow is then forced to intersect.  

The next day, ...  boom- it's really the high pressure that causes this to happen... not a low pressure in this overall scenario.

SWFE are fun, and once they’re showing up in the models consistently, they’re very predictable. For us it’s anywhere from a quick 3 to 6 inch all the way up to an 8 to 12 inch or if there’s a lot of moisture or if there’s a coastal low that develops.  Much more easy to track and less surprises than a coastal. If this stays on the models for another two cycles or so, then it’s probably happening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Honestly with just a quick glance in the models I think it’s game on for the interior next week.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Nice job Tip... Perfect visualization of this type of a classic swfe / overrunning event.  I miss seeing these +pp forced events... Good winters of yore used to feature several of these...   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Torch Tiger said:

Yeah most would be onboard, a few would howl and whine about it of course. even something a bit less damaging than 1921 would be great 

I just want something interesting for a change. Heavy rain and river flooding is mildly interesting to me but if we can't have snow then big ice or big wind will do it for me. I just need to have something new for a change. Summer is supposed to be the boring months not winter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

i do like seeing these HP continuously getting ejected into S Canada. two 1040-50mb HPs is nothing to sneeze at. can give us a chance at a WAA event even with a crap longwave pattern. the HP make sense given the ridge over AK

gfs_mslpaNorm_namer_fh102-192.thumb.gif.58b5e35b1653485cac06cf730164d817.gif

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1