• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/10-11 Disco / Obs - Rain/Snow/Wind Event

nj2va

Some of the mesoscale modeling yesterday was showing something of a snow hole here and they were right.  Flakes began to mix with the rain not long after midnight but it didn't fully change over until close to 3 AM, by which time the best banding had moved past.  This place is kinda weird like that--I moved here four years ago from a much higher elevation in MoCo and still haven't figured it out.  Not to worry--we'll get ours eventually.   

Yea, we’re in a little valley here...kinda like Hagerstown. I remember seeing an average snowfall map years ago showing some parts of upper Moco averaging more than downtown Frederick, which makes some sense. My elevation is only 300’, but within 10-15 minutes I’m at 1500’. Meanwhile, Damascus approaches 800’. The little snow maxes that show up in Frederick are typically over Catoctin.
  • Like 1

I'm estimating maybe an inch in Smithsburg. Could of been more prior to compacting /melting. Places with a couple hundred more feet in elevation like Sabillisville had 3 to 4 inches.

On my drive over the Catoctins this morning there were several inches on top of the mtn but nada  when I got to Thurmont.

• Like 6

Shocked that we got anything...we hardly ever cash in on those "may end as a period of snow" situations. Depending on where you measure (standing water, longer grass, etc), think we have anywhere between a trace to .2" here. It must've crusted up fast/furious enough at the end to flash-freeze Santa into a temporary bow...  :) 

image.thumb.jpeg.3ea1b14d829caac3bcf3d078a3f22f48.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, SnowtoRain said:

MDOT cameras look snowy down there...might have just had some luck with banding

I have 1.5" in La Plata. I am in a colder spot in the county. Looks like the spotter in Indian Head measured a trace which jives with their location in the county.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

I’m glaring dubiously at the IAD and BWI measures…<_<

Ok, less dubious about BWI although they probably could have measured something if they went out at 5-6am. 

Drove to Elkridge for an errand on my way to work and very little snow there only 2-3 miles from my house, although again, probably had melting already. Driving south from Elkridge on  the BW Parkway and almost the whole way was about what I had at my house…maybe 0.5-1”. 

After driving down towards the river, I’m shocked that DCA did get on the board.  There is no sign at all that it snowed, other than the cars that came in from higher elevations.

Yeah, doing my drive back this morning I was a little surprised too. Not shocked that they could’ve at some point measured 0.1”, but pleasantly surprised someone was on it. By the time I passed under Key Bridge around 7:45 there was no sign anything had happened.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, yoda said:

Did someone make a mistake in St. Mary's county?

0600 AM     Snow             4 SW Oakley             38.23N  76.78W
12/11/2023  M3.5 inch        St. Marys          MD   Trained Spotter

I was wondering about that too with much smaller amounts nearby, but maybe a lucky heavy burst?  It's just curious though right on the water.  Some good measurements in southern MD though, for example a couple inches in LaPlata (hi diatae!)

Got 1.5 in Germantown which triples last winter's total :P  MoCo schools delayed so my wife's preschool is closed.  That's a gift since she's dealing with a bad cold and does not get paid on sick days

image.png.5a7c8faf90c92ffd9c4082a150b885ad.png

• Like 4