Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/10-11 Disco / Obs - Rain/Snow/Wind Event

nj2va

7 hours ago, WEATHER53 said:

This is very true that’s it’s not really a weather station but an airport facilities station . Most people snd even seasoned weather people think it an official weather station.  So, if the thermometers are located such that measurements and temps can easily be retrieved manually then that location will be part of the airport buildings complexes and things like can it radiate comparatively and accumulate snow comparatively are non priority issues.

I started saying this here 15 years ago and constantly got scalded so I just gave up. I had and have a lot of details from my affiliations with MIC and know what they prioritize and often got told “we ain’t here for weather weenies” 

DCA's ASOS is on the east (river) side of the runways.  It is not near the buildings.  Now, the snowfall measurement location is a completely different issue, but they seem to have fixed that in the past 5 years or so.

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

DCA's ASOS is on the east (river) side of the runways.  It is not near the buildings.  Now, the snowfall measurement location is a completely different issue, but they seem to have fixed that in the past 5 years or so.

The ASOS is where the red dot is. Also, if you zoom in you can see it in the below photo.

The below link takes you to the station information where you can scroll down read the recent station updates and other information.

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/homr/#ncdcstnid=20027254&tab=MISC

You'll see where it says "Snow measurement area located on the side of the old terminal in a semi-enclosed area near 38.850168,-77.041657", which should be close to the southern end of the terminal/field.

2.jpg.835cf4ee865ce00cd6014f4cf1980119.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.daa19e98308d9095e3404ab3e8c59496.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.2e574df4326e5671419beaddbeab1723.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 8:20 AM, EastCoast NPZ said:

As Yukon Cornelius would say, "nuthin."

On 12/11/2023 at 10:24 AM, clskinsfan said:

Really? Are you being serious?

16 hours ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Yep.  I mean, snow fell for a time, but nothing heavy enough to accumulate anywhere.  Complete white rain.  Even the rain was whimpy; we only got .9"  

Ditto here. I sit at 1300 +- elevation. ALMOST started turning things white once or twice, but rates just weren't enough to overcome the temps (36-37). However, JUST above me (1800-2000 and up) 1-3 inches fell. By the time I was 34-35 degrees precip was moving east. 

21 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

Did they change it after '16? When an observer went to DCA and had a completely different measurement (19.4", #3 all time) than the official amount?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Its a Breeze said:

Did they change it after '16? When an observer went to DCA and had a completely different measurement (19.4", #3 all time) than the official amount?

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

Was that the one where they lost track of the snow board?

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Yes

In the station notes, it says DCA was upgraded with a 40" stick back in December 2021. Why it took so long, I am not sure.