• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23

BxEngine

Was just out in the garden for an hour with the accompaniment of near constant thundering - but barely audible.  It was at the lowest level of my awareness.  At times I thought I was hearing airplanes.  Is there some mechanism where a number of different, distant storms can produce this effect (nonstop barely audible thundering), or is a single storm cell capable of generating constant thunder for a long time?

There certainly ought to be some Germanic term for this effect!  I looked up "growling thunder"  in German, which is "grollender Donner," which does give a good impression of the sound.

Re: Watertown area - I guess nothing to do depends on your perspective. There is everything outdoors, hiking, riding, skiing and it's not hard to get to some of the other cities for cultural things, shows, museums, etc. I'm looking forward to getting out of the Metro Area and having less to do, I'm even thinking it wouldn't be so bad to have to get a bigass snowblower so my aging self doesn't have to deal with the shitty side of snow removal. My wife doesn't necessarily agree :shrug:

19 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Re: Watertown area - I guess nothing to do depends on your perspective. There is everything outdoors, hiking, riding, skiing and it's not hard to get to some of the other cities for cultural things, shows, museums, etc. I'm looking forward to getting out of the Metro Area and having less to do, I'm even thinking it wouldn't be so bad to have to get a bigass snowblower so my aging self doesn't have to deal with the shitty side of snow removal. My wife doesn't necessarily agree :shrug:

Good morning gravity. My experienced guess is, nothing will happen without that agreement. Stay well, as always …..

• Haha 1

• BxEngine changed the title to Spring/Summer banter thread ‘23
On 7/2/2023 at 9:20 AM, forkyfork said:

i can't wait for our nino torch december. +20?

On 7/2/2023 at 9:25 AM, SnoSki14 said:

Impossible. The Dec 2015 record will stand for decades

On 7/2/2023 at 10:27 AM, BxEngine said:

+12. One day the high will stay at 29ish and the usual suspects will claim this as proof of the hoax. 

51 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

god bless those optimistic little dittoheads

Good evening all. forky throws (trolls) out the line and usually gets more than a nibble. Stay well and enjoy the 4th. As always ….

IMG_6576.png

On 6/26/2023 at 3:12 PM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That’s exactly why I would choose the mountains, plenty of amenities with the ski resorts year round. Plus that part of upstate ny is flat, so not generally that pretty. 

If you want snow both from synoptic and occasional lake effect I would pick somewhere between Albany, Syracuse and Binghamton. The I-88 corridor often gets slammed from the more inland runner systems like 3/14/17 and gets some lake effect. Also close to skiing and only a few hours from NYC. Living costs also very reasonable. 

I never hear anyone mention how gloomy it is Upstate. I’d go nuts. We actually do quite well relative to the rest of Mid-Atlantic states, only coastal SE Virginia is sunnier. I’m assuming the greater atmospheric stability near the coast inhibits cloud formation to an extent.

IMG_9687.jpeg

On 6/26/2023 at 3:12 PM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That’s exactly why I would choose the mountains, plenty of amenities with the ski resorts year round. Plus that part of upstate ny is flat, so not generally that pretty. 

Poconos or Catskills?  Close enough to benefit from noreasters and yet they also get remnants of lake effects streamers often enough, so there's both heavy wet snow and the postcard light dry snow that falls for days.

18 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Poconos or Catskills?  Close enough to benefit from noreasters and yet they also get remnants of lake effects streamers often enough, so there's both heavy wet snow and the postcard light dry snow that falls for days.

Southern Greens, VT.  I’m at close to 2k feet between Stratton and mount snow. I average over 125” some years the area can get closer to 200, especially in the resort peaks. Wilmington, Dover, Manchester all very nice towns. Ski, golf, fall foliage, a larger year-round presence now. Beautiful lush rolling green mountains. 

I stole both my log cabins for under $120k each, both a bit over 1k square feet. Right place, right time. 

Can be there from my home camp on Jersey shore in an average 4.5 hours, often closer to 4.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, greenmtnwx said:

Southern Greens, VT.  I’m at close to 2k feet between Stratton and mount snow. I average over 125” some years the area can get closer to 200, especially in the resort peaks. Wilmington, Dover, Manchester all very nice towns. Ski, golf, fall foliage, a larger year-round presence now. Beautiful lush rolling green mountains. 

I stole both my log cabins for under $120k each, both a bit over 1k square feet. Right place, right time. 

Can be there from my home camp on Jersey shore in an average 4.5 hours, often closer to 4.

Wow it sounds gorgeous up there and you get to see the northern lights too, dont you?!

• Like 1

On 7/4/2023 at 11:22 PM, greenmtnwx said:

Amazing. That’s exactly where I want to be. I have been doing a winter rental with friends in the general Stratton area for years. I absolutely love it there, and would like to experience more than just winter. I have witnessed some blockbuster storms there over the years. My favorite stretch was March 18. 3 storms back to back 18”, 36” and 20”. That’s a snow pack 

• Like 2

I haven’t been to VT since I was a kid and I’d love to get back there. My wife and I have made tentative plans the past couple years but just ultimately have delayed, we also want to do a longer trip from there and go up to Canada in winter. 

I’m a little crazy in the cold season.

We’ve done Iceland now four times, including this past fall which is early Icelandic winter. We toured the north which is a little ballsy that time of year, as conditions can range from fine to literally damn near polar / glaciated depending on weather. It ain’t fluffy snow pack, to be sure, this was like the densest, iciest, break your neck with one wrong step kind of stuff I’ve ever been on, and dammit I loved every second of being out there. 

image.thumb.jpeg.19354704113e64476b9c428a5eab9973.jpeg

There’s a few very cool volcanic systems in the north I wanted to visit, and the Icelandic landscape with snowcover can’t be beat. I’d live there were it practical. 

Fun fact we caught a crazy ice storm out of nowhere leaving this place in our vehicle, and had something like a two hour drive in normal conditions back to Akureyri the northern capital, and it was an absolutely shitshow out there. We had to take a windy mountain pass where the road surface was completely frozen over and there was no guard rail to a several hundred foot tumble if you lose it. It was pretty harrowing, and you can get in a bad way pretty easily if you’re careless. But it’s so unbelievably beautiful out there, and we always approach things slow and cautiously. We really needed light crampons or ice spikes for the conditions we were in and the stuff we were doing, but we made it work. Next time I’ll have some different gear with me. Amazing time, though. 

Don’t you know I think about Iceland every single day of our infernal hellscape summer season.  

• Like 2

• BxEngine changed the title to Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23