• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23

BxEngine

Now you know why NYC climate classification was changed to SUB-TROPICAL CONTINENTAL three years ago.

Almanacs from the 60's show a normal low of 68/69 and now it is 71/72 for July.     We seem to be beating even  that.

31 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

Now you know why NYC climate classification was changed to SUB-TROPICAL CONTINENTAL three years ago.

Almanacs from the 60's show a normal low of 68/69 and now it is 71/72 for July.     We seem to be beating even  that.

low is 70 for july in the park up 1 but normal .. low is not 71-72..

5 minutes ago, TWCCraig said:

From what I'm seeing, most of the rain was always forecast to come tonight out here, yet everyone thinks it's a bust because it's not raining yet

Its the same MO from the same people every single larger scale weather event. They can't call it a bust before it is supposed to happen, at least wait until it actually doesn't. It's called weenie assumption syndrome. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Rtd208 said:

Its the same MO from the same people every single larger scale weather event. They can't call it a bust before it is supposed to happen, at least wait until it actually doesn't. It's called weenie assumption syndrome. :rolleyes:

Yeah but you give out weenies to people sometimes just for making reasonable posts about expectations. Remember in late June when we had that pattern where NJ got crushed but very little rain got to NYC and east. There was a day that you claimed that NYC was about to get hit. I made the point that all the activity in NJ was moving north and nothing was on track to hit NYC. You gave me a weenie for that post. What happened? The rain stayed in NJ and NYC didn't get hit. It's very odd that you give weenies to reasonable posts as often as you do. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, winterwx21 said:

Yeah but you give out weenies to people sometimes just for making reasonable posts about expectations. Remember in late June when we had that pattern where NJ got crushed but very little rain got to NYC and east. There was a day that you claimed that NYC was about to get hit. I made the point that all the activity in NJ was moving north and nothing was on track to hit NYC. You gave me a weenie for that post. What happened? The rain stayed in NJ and NYC didn't get hit. It's very odd that you give weenies to reasonable posts as often as you do. 

This 

• Haha 1

With growing prospects that the ongoing heatwave in parts of the Southwest could be among the region's worst in history, a handful of social media accounts have been loudly and increasingly frantically trying to dismiss and discount the severity of the heatwave.

Claims that a 1974 heatwave, currently Phoenix's longest on record (18 consecutive days), was more severe have been made. The ongoing heatwave could eclipse it in duration and already exceeds it in the intensity of the heat (3.1° warmer so far). The most severe heat still lies ahead, as Phoenix will experience an extreme heat event (Clarke et al., 2014 methodology).

Such accounts are not credible sources of meteorological or climate information, especially as those in the affected region who are inclined to accept their false narrative could put themselves at unnecessary risk. NWS Phoenix, Accuweather, and other private sources have been doing their utmost to warn residents of the heat-related risks. Yet, some accounts are trying to distract and confuse local residents.

On account of the absurd social media claims, here's how the current heatwave and the 1974 heatwave compare:

image.png.781b0c09d8365e3bb2db95d2797554b7.png

Today saw a low temperature of 94° in Phoenix (not factored in above), which surpassed the record of 93° that was set in 2020 and tied in 2022. Since Phoenix's records were kept beginning in August 1895, Phoenix has had 18 low temperatures of 94° or above. All of those low temperatures have occurred since 2003.

image.png.c80a0a52edf9c33063a70cdb9e4fc4f8.png

Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, and even Death Valley, could experience extreme heat events from the current heatwave. For the first time, Del Rio and Laredo could experience simultaneous extreme heat events with Las Vegas, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, and Death Valley, which illustrates the expansive area of extreme heat. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Today saw a low temperature of 94° in Phoenix (not factored in above), which surpassed the record of 93° that was set in 2020 and tied in 2022. Since Phoenix's records were kept beginning in August 1895, Phoenix has had 18 low temperatures of 94° or above. All of those low temperatures have occurred since 2003.

Tough combination of CC+UHI expansion. CC has seen minimum temperatures increasing faster than maximums at both rural and urban locations. The population has nearly tripled at Phoenix since 1974. So we can add an expanding heat island to the mix for ridiculously high daily minimum temperatures. I don’t see the appeal or living in that climate during the warm season. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Tough combination of CC+UHI expansion. CC has seen minimum temperatures increasing faster than maximums at both rural and urban locations. The population has nearly tripled at Phoenix since 1974. So we can add an expanding heat island to the mix for ridiculously high daily minimum temperatures. I don’t see the appeal or living in that climate during the warm season. 

Yes. NWS Phoenix has noted the combination of climate change and the UHI. Phoenix continues to grow rapidly, despite water issues and rising heat.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

I would frankly rather live in Antarctica than the desert southwest. Find me in an igloo near Mt Erebus. 

The US population migration patterns are moving in the wrong direction for the current and future climate projections. The Northeast and Great Lakes should be the go to destinations for the way climate is a changing. But people have been leaving this region and heading south and west. Those areas have been experiencing serious drought, wildfires, heat, and major hurricanes. I will take my chances in a region that can experience too much rain like the other day over fires and multiyear drought. Plus those ares are also prone to flooding cycles also. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The US population migration patterns are moving in the wrong direction for the current and future climate projections. The Northeast and Great Lakes should be the go to destinations for the way climate is a changing. But people have been leaving this region and heading south and west. Those areas have been experiencing serious drought, wildfires, heat, and major hurricanes. I will take my chances in a region that can experience too much rain like the other day over fires and multiyear drought. Plus those ares are also prone to flooding cycles also. 

The humidity on East Coast is getting more miserable and unbearable each summer. Grew up in Virginia suburbs of DC in the 1980s and 1990s and it is way more uncomfortable now compared to then. Also lived a few summers out in Las Vegas and became well acclimated to the dry heat but that’s just me personally.

• Like 1

My folks retired to Las Cruces, New Mexico. I couldn’t understand why until I visited them for the first time. The desert is incredibly enchanting and beautiful. Living in the desert comes with serious questions of sustainability. There are laws where my parents live that prohibits them from having non native plants on their property and they have their own well that’s actually heated by seismic activity. They’ve installed solar panels on their roof that more than powers their house and the excess gets directed back into the grid. Also having a grass lawn is very illegal. I believe there are ways to make the southwest sustainable but it’s going to require investments in infrastructure and a better understanding and conservation of the water shed for the entire region. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jersey Andrew said:

The humidity on East Coast is getting more miserable and unbearable each summer. Grew up in Virginia suburbs of DC in the 1980s and 1990s and it is way more uncomfortable now compared to then. Also lived a few summers out in Las Vegas and became well acclimated to the dry heat but that’s just me personally.

That’s true. But even dry heat which gets so high really doesn’t appeal to me either. I have always enjoyed the cooler seasons here more but I track everything and find interest in the variety. The one truth about the cold is you can always add more layers but there is only so much you can take off in extreme heat. Though the walks to the bus stop in the 76-77 winter we’re pretty tough. But not as bad as 100° with a 75° dewpoint. That’s just me. 

• Like 1

Bluewave, that’s exactly how I look at it as well. Cold is easier to mitigate. And you’re not sweating bullets and saturating your clothes. 

Not to mention cold air is refreshing, IMO. I realize I’m the inverse of the majority of people but cold weather makes me want to be outside, and when it’s (this) hot if I can’t be in a body of water I don’t leave my computer. 

Winter hiking in the right location can be really spectacular as well, I wish more people gave it a chance. Though it does require more gear / prep. We don’t really do much this time of year, just too hot all up and down the east coast. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Bluewave, that’s exactly how I look at it as well. Cold is easier to mitigate. And you’re not sweating bullets and saturating your clothes. 

Not to mention cold air is refreshing, IMO. I realize I’m the inverse of the majority of people but cold weather makes me want to be outside, and when it’s (this) hot if I can’t be in a body of water I don’t leave my computer. 

Winter hiking in the right location can be really spectacular as well, I wish more people gave it a chance. Though it does require more gear / prep. We don’t really do much this time of year, just too hot all up and down the east coast. 

This has to be one of my favorite weather short films of the last decade or so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• BxEngine changed the title to Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23