• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23

BxEngine

I really miss tracking winter with you kooky kids. 

I should definitely enjoy each season for what it offers but I think this past winter did me in. We even went up to Danbury during the peak of the snow drought in Feb, got up in the hills and couldn’t find snow to save our souls. Not to mention it was like 50 degrees each day lol. Admittedly I’m a psycho that prefers hiking in winter conditions, and it’s tough following up multiple winter trips to Iceland back here, at least in our area without going too far away. 

Just hoping we have a better season this year, I’m like the opposite of a person who lives for the summer months hehe, ride or die give me cold and snow. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

I should definitely enjoy each season for what it offers but I think this past winter did me in. We even went up to Danbury during the peak of the snow drought in Feb, got up in the hills and couldn’t find snow to save our souls. Not to mention it was like 50 degrees each day lol. Admittedly I’m a psycho that prefers hiking in winter conditions, and it’s tough following up multiple winter trips to Iceland back here, at least in our area without going too far away. 

Just hoping we have a better season this year, I’m like the opposite of a person who lives for the summer months hehe, ride or die give me cold and snow. 

We've tracked smoke more than snow or severe. Most boring year ever

I probably just jinxed us and we're going to get 7 hurricanes now

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

I guess ya don't remember the 70s and 80s. 

• Like 2

Yeah but the end result was a period of non winters other than the cold, which was ultimately just annoying, but did allow ski areas and snowmakers to learn how to make snow for us to play in/on. The one or maybe two storms a year were usually a letdown. The last 30 years have been spectacular so your perspective is kinda skewed. Maybe you should hook yourself up with a nice home snowmaking setup. 

57 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Guys,wish me luck. Just closed on the condo here on LI yesterday. I have a temporary situation now. Looking to buy a coop or condo in Westchester as soon as possible. I would love to be neighbors with the crew up there like Don S and other great posters.

Think my complex in wp has a open spot. hit me if you're looking for details

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Guys,wish me luck. Just closed on the condo here on LI yesterday. I have a temporary situation now. Looking to buy a coop or condo in Westchester as soon as possible. I would love to be neighbors with the crew up there like Don S and other great posters.

All the best Bluewave. You’re genuinely a huge percentage of the reason I compulsively read and love this forum. Wish you nothing but the best. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

Move to the snow….

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bluewave said:

That’s exactly what I want. I don’t like the heat and really enjoy cold or cool temperatures. The climate down here is turning too much like the Mid-Atlantic for my tastes. I would really like to stay in NY but would consider New England. But an out of state move would be more difficult for me.

I completely understand. My ideal spot would be by Watertown,NY. You get the lake effect and system snow. Rarely do they get a setup they can’t snow in 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Allsnow said:

I completely understand. My ideal spot would be by Watertown,NY. You get the lake effect and system snow. Rarely do they get a setup they can’t snow in 

My ideal spot is as high as you can get in the southern greens of Vermont. There’s a poster (Mitch) in the NE forum that’s at 2500’ and averages like 200” a winter. No heat in the summer too at that elevation and you’re only a 4 hour drive from NYC

• Like 2

18 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

My ideal spot is as high as you can get in the southern greens of Vermont. There’s a poster (Mitch) in the NE forum that’s at 2500’ and averages like 200” a winter. No heat in the summer too at that elevation and you’re only a 4 hour drive from NYC

Beautiful. 

I’ve been slowly planning a move with my wife as well, and I want to retire way down the road in C/NNE. 

For now I’ll probably have to settle for somewhere near Sparta or that general area. We have friends in Hopatcong and I think it’s beautiful that way. 

23 hours ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, very hard to find condos or coops the further north you go. Most of the properties available up that way are whole houses which are too big for me. Also a bunch of time shares in the Adirondacks. Even spoke to a tiny home manufacturer about getting a 450 sq ft unit. But the zoning laws in NY are very hostile to allowing tiny homes. So many get parked on trailers behind houses. 

Many times the zoning outside of town limits is more agreeable to alternative housing options, a lot of times there aren't many restrictions other than meeting basic building codes depending on the size of the property. 

On 6/20/2023 at 12:49 PM, Allsnow said:

Nothing up there though it's a boring existence outside of the snow

4 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

Nothing up there though it's a boring existence outside of the snow

For some it’s perhaps a peaceful existence. I’m tired of the enormous crush of people in the NYC / NJ area, personally. I’ve commuted the parkway for 13 years now into the immediate metro and it’s just scarring already, especially this time of year. 

I desire tranquility and a bit more nature than what I get where I live within the flat, boring fall line. 

Speaking purely in fanciful, idealistic terms; were money no object and lacking any pragmatic considerations I’d want to live in Alaska (puts me closer to my greatest earthly passions, three guesses on what that is :P) or possibly coastal Maine. Perhaps one day I’ll be able to go exactly where I want, isn’t that the beauty of life? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Volcanic Winter said:

For some it’s perhaps a peaceful existence. I’m tired of the enormous crush of people in the NYC / NJ area, personally. I’ve commuted the parkway for 13 years now into the immediate metro and it’s just scarring already, especially this time of year. 

I desire tranquility and a bit more nature than what I get where I live within the flat, boring fall line. 

Speaking purely in fanciful, idealistic terms; were money no object and lacking any pragmatic considerations I’d want to live in Alaska (puts me closer to my greatest earthly passions, three guesses on what that is :P) or possibly coastal Maine. Perhaps one day I’ll be able to go exactly where I want, isn’t that the beauty of life? 

Afaik, the NYC area expressways and parkways were designed to ensure that the commuters would be ready to kill by the time they got to their office. That helped ensure NYC's dominance in business negotiations. 

Alaska is just wonderful, your fancies are entirely justified.

• Thanks 1

• BxEngine changed the title to Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23