Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23

BxEngine

Just now, LibertyBell said:

The anniversary of the historic April 1982 Blizzard!

Never to see its like again. 

Kidding, I think. Really hope we can still get anomalous events that occur in the opposite mode to “any and everything related to warmth.” My fear is that such events nowadays won’t surpass what would’ve been seen as commonplace a hundred years ago. 

No joke it’s really hard for me to deal with. You hear about people with SAD in the winter whereas I’m like a giddy school girl Dec through March. My SAD kicks in now during the spring-summer-fall never ending hellscape. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I’m annoyed I didn’t appreciate 09-15 for what they were. Just had too much going on at that time. 

I’m really hoping for a major, “old school” northeast winter soon because I’ll savor every damn day of it. And if that’s it for a while, it’ll make the rest easier for me to swallow. 

If I didn’t catch a huge break 1/29 last year and get such a classic storm here I’d probably be bouncing off the walls right now. That took enough of the sting out of this winter for me to just be mostly apathetic. 

• Like 2

On 4/9/2023 at 12:17 PM, LibertyBell said:

I saw, weird it's on the edge, I might need to go a little further north.

Also, I didn't know Syracuse was that far north, I thought it was in Central NYS =\

I applaud your excursion into the uncharted northern territories beyond the George Washington Bridge. I pray the polar bears don’t get you. 

• Haha 3

Shiveluch just produced a spectacular sub-plinian eruption caused by the collapse or partial collapse of its growing lava dome (which has been its current mode of activity for quite a while). 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Volcanoes/comments/12ieudx/shiveluch_volcanic_eruption_11042023_kamchatka/

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/shiveluch/news/208903/Shiveluch-volcano-Kamchatka-massive-eruption-with-huge-ash-cloud-up-to-16-km-heavy-ash-rain-darkened.html

The second link goes to VolcanoDiscovery where you can see multiple reports on the eruptive sequence.

This type of behavior is what caused the VEI 4 Soufriere eruption two years ago in the Caribbean. 

Definitely a spectacular, voluminous blast. It could be up to VEI 4 level, but I’ll have to see more footage and analysis, especially of the duration of the event. Typically lava dome collapse eruptions are temporally brief events (often, but not always). However, if it was only a partial collapse that caused this eruption, more could follow. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nibor said:

I applaud your excursion into the uncharted northern territories beyond the George Washington Bridge. I pray the polar bears don’t get you. 

I do too, I just hope I don't get lost up there looking for the total solar eclipse.

Just like tourists come down here and get lost looking up at skyscrapers, I can totally see myself getting into an accident trying to move around while looking up at the sun lol.

3 hours ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Shiveluch just produced a spectacular sub-plinian eruption caused by the collapse or partial collapse of its growing lava dome (which has been its current mode of activity for quite a while). 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Volcanoes/comments/12ieudx/shiveluch_volcanic_eruption_11042023_kamchatka/

https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/shiveluch/news/208903/Shiveluch-volcano-Kamchatka-massive-eruption-with-huge-ash-cloud-up-to-16-km-heavy-ash-rain-darkened.html

The second link goes to VolcanoDiscovery where you can see multiple reports on the eruptive sequence.

This type of behavior is what caused the VEI 4 Soufriere eruption two years ago in the Caribbean. 

Definitely a spectacular, voluminous blast. It could be up to VEI 4 level, but I’ll have to see more footage and analysis, especially of the duration of the event. Typically lava dome collapse eruptions are temporally brief events (often, but not always). However, if it was only a partial collapse that caused this eruption, more could follow. 

I was hoping you would comment on this. Always curious to see what if any impacts eruptions could have on our local weather down the line.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Just saw something on the news today research on volcanoes in Hawaii "talking" to each other-- what is that about?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Just saw something on the news today research on volcanoes in Hawaii "talking" to each other-- what is that about?

Mauna Loa and Kilauea are linked deep underground as they “share” the Hawaiian Hotspot. They’re also very spatially close to one another as Kilauea is sort of a very hot wart on the flank of Mauna Loa, and there are theories that suggest the activity of one impacts the activity of the other. There have been instances of seismic activity at one registering a change at the other, without being familiar with the article something along these lines is probably what they’re talking about. 

But assuming mainstream news it’s likely an exaggerated interpretation meant to sound interesting to the general audience. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

I was hoping you would comment on this. Always curious to see what if any impacts eruptions could have on our local weather down the line.

Unfortunately this is probably too small to cause a climate impact by itself, but I want to caution I haven’t really had a chance to deep dive the info on this event today while at work. My thinking, very preliminarily, is at max a VEI 4 which is an order of magnitude below the sort of eruptions that impart climate impacts favorable for our purposes. 

We’ll see though! Looks pretty sizable! But it’s crazy how much explosive eruptions scale upwards, and duration is equally important to overall plume width and height. 

Actually Hunga Tonga was the most intense eruption since the VEI 7 Hatepe eruption from the Taupo supervolcano in New Zealand, circa ~200CE. Despite “only” being a borderline high end 5 to 6, the moment to moment intensity of the short hour long main eruption sequence was similar to a VEI 7! Most people don’t realize this. Had HTHH lasted longer, it would’ve been a substantially larger eruption. It was very much like a large natural nuke detonation and was over and done extremely quickly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Unfortunately this is probably too small to cause a climate impact by itself, but I want to caution I haven’t really had a chance to deep dive the info on this event today while at work. My thinking, very preliminarily, is at max a VEI 4 which is an order of magnitude below the sort of eruptions that impart climate impacts favorable for our purposes. 

We’ll see though! Looks pretty sizable! But it’s crazy how much explosive eruptions scale upwards, and duration is equally important to overall plume width and height. 

Actually Hunga Tonga was the most intense eruption since the VEI 7 Hatepe eruption from the Taupo supervolcano in New Zealand, circa ~200CE. Despite “only” being a borderline high end 5 to 6, the moment to moment intensity of the short hour long main eruption sequence was similar to a VEI 7! Most people don’t realize this. Had HTHH lasted longer, it would’ve been a substantially larger eruption. It was very much like a large natural nuke detonation and was over and done extremely quickly. 

Didn't Hatepe or Hautepe cause a super tsunami?

That was the most powerful eruption in recorded history?

Copying a post I made on Reddit regarding the magnitude of the Shiveluch eruption:

Apparently a professor stated it released about .2 Tg (teragrams) of SO2, which is about half of the Soufriere VEI4 from 2020-21. Update: Apparently this figure is being revised up to .36 Tg, which is a substantial increase. I'll try to get a source and update this comment later.

Just from that alone, this could be a high VEI 3 to low end / borderline VEI 4. 

That's just a guestimate based off the SO2 release which may be inaccurate for various reasons (could be especially gas laden or even the opposite).

Also going off another recent eruption, Calbuco in 2015, which released .295 Tg and had a volume of .27 km3 which is a VEI 4.

——

So IMO we’re looking at a VEI 4 considering the revised sulfur figure. Pretty large event all things considered, though small to impart any climate impact which was also true of Soufriere which had a similar sulfur release to the revised figure. Perhaps we’ll get another large eruption this year? Keeping eyes on a few systems, though there’s never a guarantee any particular one will go big. 

Just for a point of comparison, Pinatubo 1991 released ~20 Tg of sulfur. Laki in the  late 18th century was over 100, though not all of that massive quantity reached the stratosphere as the eruption was predominantly effusive though it did have explosive components, and I theorize a lot of gas was still lofted high enough to hit the climate system riding on co-ignimbrite plumes and intense thermal updrafts from the insane heat of the massive eruption. Still, much of that insane sulfur flux stayed trapped in the troposphere and ultimately killed a large quantity of people in the UK as it migrated, and it killed something like ~20% of Iceland’s population along with an enormous quantity of livestock. It was a truly terrible weather event that’s worth reading about. 

• BxEngine changed the title to Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23