Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23

BxEngine

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

I hope we have a cool and rainy summer

I liked the cool and rainy summers in Long Beach like 09 since there were fewer big beach crowds and it was easy to get parking.  Did a lot of boogie boarding and there was also more room to catch waves. The cooler summers of 03 and 04 were great also since I would average 10-20 miles per day on the Long Beach boardwalk. Bought a 7 speed cruiser bike down in the West End and put new handle bars on so I could lean forward for more speed. Fun times growing up in Long Beach. Very good people there. Almost had a suburban Coney Island vibe especially when the amusement park was still there. Ran into Joan Jet several times and said hello. She was very down to earth. Several of her videos were shot there. The old amusement park really brings back memories. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Volcanic Winter said:

HTHH is the anomaly to that fact. Yes, large explosive eruptions such as Pinatubo release sulfur which converts to sulfate in the stratospheric aerosol veil which ultimately leads to a surface cooling effect. During past episodes of volcanic cooling, there were observations of a persistent dry fog (sulfur) that allowed people on the ground to literally stare directly at the sun and view sunspots unaided with the naked eye. 

HTHH was of the correct size to have a similar impact to Pinatubo, however it released an ENORMOUS amount of water vapor as its predominant stratospheric gas flux. The sulfur release was perhaps a bit more than the VEI 4 Soufriere eruption from a couple years ago; not enough to directly overpower the water vapor flux. 

This discrepancy is now explained better by the knowledge that up to two thirds of the erupted volume of HTHH occurred in underwater ignimbrite formation; essentially pyroclastic flows under the surface of the ocean. This would greatly limit the amount of sulfur reaching the stratosphere where it can act in the traditional manner. 

In short, HTHH was a worst case scenario for us and represents the first time a large explosive eruption will likely warm the surface rather than cool it. Pretty bad luck eh?

woah staring directly at the sun is dangerous without using a solar filter.  I'm a bit disappointed that there was no big sulfur release as that also makes our eclipses darker and makes them stand out more.  I don't remember anything after Pinatubo but I vividly remember the eclipse after El Chichon and it was starkly different from the eclipse that preceded it.  That was one of those years where we got two total lunar eclipses, in 1982, and the July 1982 eclipse (the first one I ever saw and that was with my dad at 3:30 am in Brooklyn), the moon was the brightest shade of orange I've ever seen, really an amazing sight.  Then we had another one just before New Years in December 1982 (saw that from our new house on Long Island, around 5 AM) that was so black, it was blacker than the night sky-- the moon was darker than the light pollution and looked like a giant black hole in the sky!  I imagined that's what it would look like to live near a real black hole lol.  Never saw anything like that ever again and I still remember it 41 years later.  I was in 4th grade when I saw that eclipse.

38 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I liked the cool and rainy summers in Long Beach like 09 since there were fewer big beach crowds and it was easy to get parking.  Did a lot of boogie boarding and there was also more room to catch waves. The cooler summers of 03 and 04 were great also since I would average 10-20 miles per day on the Long Beach boardwalk. Bought a 7 speed cruiser bike down in the West End and put new handle bars on so I could lean forward for more speed. Fun times growing up in Long Beach. Very good people there. Almost had a suburban Coney Island vibe especially when the amusement park was still there. Ran into Joan Jet several times and said hello. She was very down to earth. Several of her videos were shot there. The old amusement park really brings back memories. 

I thought you loved our 2010 summer, that was the most active this board has ever been during the summer, there is nothing interesting about a cool rainy summer.

On 3/28/2023 at 3:57 PM, bluewave said:

No problem man. After losing my mom, things have gotten really tough for me in the so called outside world. Always tried to keep the discussions science based without much emotion. More Dr. Spock-like. Now the emotional side is harder to avoid. Just makes me more human. I love this virtual community since it lacks the stressors of day to day living. It really allows me to create what an ideal me always wanted to be. I have always struggled with various challenges in life through no fault of my own. But sometimes you start surfing the really big sets and it just turns into a washing machine. Getting to my bluewave persona is everything that is good about me. Very hard to express this outside this forum. That’s why I get so passionate about people that really struggle in life. 

Bluewave, my condolences haven’t been on in a while and just seeing this. 

17 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

Bluewave, my condolences haven’t been on in a while and just seeing this. 

Thanks very much. I wasn’t on the board for a while either. So I started posting more personal stuff when I was seeing where is bluewave posts. I always get concerned when posters I have grown to like over the years stop posting. So just wanted to keep board updated. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

It's boring when we don't get many t-storms during the summer. Also annoying when we don't get enough rain for the gardens. Last summer was horrendous with the drought ... hopefully that won't happen again. 

you can have it so it rains once a week in the summer (which is ideal if it's around an inch of rain per week) with the other 6 days being hot, or 1 rainy day, 1 cool day and 5 hot and dry days.

On 3/29/2023 at 4:50 PM, LibertyBell said:

I thought you loved our 2010 summer, that was the most active this board has ever been during the summer, there is nothing interesting about a cool rainy summer.

Yeah, it was very active for record tracking. But was rough for outdoor workers and activities. Traffic jams were common in Long Beach. Plus the beach and boardwalk were overcrowded. 

I really don’t understand how other sub forums don’t seem to interact/post  about what’s coming 4/4. I mean - some of attention behind this thing is rather extraordinary- high confidence major outbreak larger than what they went through yesterday. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bkviking said:

I really don’t understand how other sub forums don’t seem to interact/post  about what’s coming 4/4. I mean - some of attention behind this thing is rather extraordinary- high confidence major outbreak larger than what they went through yesterday. 

probably because severe weather is very hard to pinpoint days in advance.  General area of where it will occur sure but chances of any one location getting hit cannot be predicted.

• Like 1

Laguna Del Maule in South America is having major volcano-tectonic unrest at the moment and had its alert level increased. For those unaware, this is a major rhyolitic volcanic system with the capability for extraordinarily large silicic eruptions (yes, the kind that cause unambiguous downward forcing of surface temperatures). 

It also has the distinction of showing some of the highest rates of uplift (at times probably the most) of any rhyolitic volcanic system that we know of (rhyolite is highly evolved and generally the most explosive form of magma).

It’s a system that could plausibly erupt in the near future as it has been undergoing consistent uplift for many years (basically accumulating magma at depth pushing up the surface). Most likely result would be a VEI 4-5 level explosive event, but the chance for a 6-7 level caldera collapse eruption exists albeit with less likelihood as those are rare by default even in large systems like Laguna Del Maule. 

This is the one to watch right now. Nothing is considered imminent but the current seismic crisis could very well be the prelude to an eruptive episode, the question is when. Could be soon, could be several decades. Depends on how sustained it is at such intensity and if things continue to ramp up. 

Would be a nice counter to Hunga Tonga mucking things up with its water vapor, that’s for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Laguna Del Maule in South America is having major volcano-tectonic unrest at the moment and had its alert level increased. For those unaware, this is a major rhyolitic volcanic system with the capability for extraordinarily large silicic eruptions (yes, the kind that cause unambiguous downward forcing of surface temperatures). 

It also has the distinction of showing some of the highest rates of uplift (at times probably the most) of any rhyolitic volcanic system that we know of (rhyolite is highly evolved and generally the most explosive form of magma).

It’s a system that could plausibly erupt in the near future as it has been undergoing consistent uplift for many years (basically accumulating magma at depth pushing up the surface). Most likely result would be a VEI 4-5 level explosive event, but the chance for a 6-7 level caldera collapse eruption exists albeit with less likelihood as those are rare by default even in large systems like Laguna Del Maule. 

This is the one to watch right now. Nothing is considered imminent but the current seismic crisis could very well be the prelude to an eruptive episode, the question is when. Could be soon, could be several decades. Depends on how sustained it is at such intensity and if things continue to ramp up. 

Would be a nice counter to Hunga Tonga mucking things up with its water vapor, that’s for sure.

Yes I think we've heard enough of Hunga Tonga Cowabunga, dude!

• Haha 1

On 4/1/2023 at 8:42 PM, Volcanic Winter said:

Who needs Reed Timmer and the Dominator when you have a glass door and can just yolo your body into the inflow of a massive tornado and film it? 

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/1291owm/woman_from_little_rock_arkansas_takes_direct_hit/

i wonder how many of the daytime tornado deaths are from people trying to record things

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nibor said:

The birds have been talking up a storm today. :)

6 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

some really loud bird is chirping at 3:30 am.... what kind of bird could this be?

3 hours ago, Will - Rutgers said:

penguin most likely

Good morning Nibor, Liberty, Will. It was probably S19 doing a victory lap. Stay well, as always …..

• Haha 1

• BxEngine changed the title to Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23