Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 22-23, 2022: Warm Rain to Arctic Chill

WxUSAF

10 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Been awhile. Never got below 10 last winter. Probably 2019 since single digits. 

Thanks! I am intrigued in the “by 8 pm” part. I’m sure there’s been some calm evening after a big snow where radiative cooling allowed the temp to plummet below 10F shortly after sunset. But for a CAA scenario, I can’t remember off the top of my head the last time we (I-95 corridor and close in suburbs) managed single digits so early in the evening. 

Of course we did it in 1/1994, but I must be missing a couple or a few other cases since. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Roger Ramjet said:

Look, I have been on this earth almost 60 years and on the old and new weather boards 15-20 years. I usually just listen. Spent 2/12 years as a Meteorology major at Lyndon State College in the late 1980's. This is a top 5 before New Year for me.

Yes this is not the top but it’s number 4,5,6 or something.  I did not break my records for 1,3,6 hour drop rate but with 54 at midnight I’m going to break my 1983 record of 40 degrees in 12 hours. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, nj2va said:

12 degrees here in Ocean County, NJ. -8 at Deep Creek with -37 wind chills. Super legit cold. 

It was the second coldest day of my life and unquestionably the most intense wx conditions I have seen at Deep Creek by a factor of 2-3x.  Genuinely wish more of the folks here got to see it, it was like spending the day at the North Pole.

• Like 6

I can't report event total precip because I can't get the rain gauge unfrozen from it's rack to bring it in by the fire to thaw out. And I can't use the old hair dryer heat gun on it because power's been out for 6 hours.

Not a big deal, but kinda felt like complaining. 

Temp 11, DP - 3

(I  think we'll struggle to get single digits here tonight) 

9 minutes ago, RIC_WX said:

It was the second coldest day of my life and unquestionably the most intense wx conditions I have seen at Deep Creek by a factor of 2-3x.  Genuinely wish more of the folks here got to see it, it was like spending the day at the North Pole.

I loved reading the obs out there, thanks for sharing them (and katabatic, others too). Hoping for a good January/February out there with some memorable events. I’d love a repeat of last years MLK storm again this year. 

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 7:27 PM, MN Transplant said:

More fun climo stats.  There have been 68 days in DCA's climate record with a 40+ spread between high and low temps.  Most of those are in the distant past.  There have only been 5 cases in the past 40 years:

• 3/23/1994 - 83/39
  • 1/19/1996 - 62/20 (the Potomac flood final push)
  • 12/22/1998 - 67/24
  • 4/8/2000 - 78/38
  • 1/13/2018 - 62/21

We might be able to add to this list tomorrow if we can hold the 50s until midnight.

12/23/2022 joins the list.  55/15 so far.

• Like 6

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic