• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

By the sounds of a bunch of you, you sound like whiny defeated children. 

Winter has a ways to go. There will some winter and some surprises. A lot of you seem to want to have winter for the entire season of winter which never happens, especially in southern New England. Let's focus on what might happen and if this winter turns out to be a bust, it's a bust. There's always another year.

Now just wait for the fun comments from my post. Look at me something good to laugh about

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 3

42 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

At least there’s some clear light at end of tunnel. Gonna be a torch 10 days though between 12/29 and 1/7ish. 

Thaw looks to end up being about a week earlier than I had thought back in early November, as it's the first week of of January instead of the second. Considering that most of us struck out on the first big pattern, I would rather the timeline speed up so as to salvage more peak climo. 

I had expected a mild February, but keep in mind that I did NOT anticipate a SSW....so if that works out, then all bets are off for Feb.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Thaw looks to end up being about a week earlier than I had thought back in early November, as it's the first week of of January instead of the second. Considering that most of us struck out on the first big pattern, I would rather the timeline speed up so as to salvage more peak climo. 

I had expected a mild February, but keep in mind that I did NOT anticipate a SSW....so if that works out, then all bets are off for Feb.

I think the thaw sped up due to the body blow that the block took from that big low last week...probably would have lasted longer had that not been forced to amplify so far west and barrel into it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

SSW is prob the best path to salvaging a big winter if it’s going to happen. Typically Feb/Mar climo isn’t so kind in Ninas but as we saw in ‘00-01, ‘17-18 or ‘55-56, big blocking in latter stages of La Niña winters can do very big damage. 

It would help if we could rock for a couple weeks in January too. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brooklynwx99 said:

the pattern will flip around the 10th as the ULL off the WC retrogrades westward towards the Aleutians when the Pacific jet retracts

this is well agreed upon by ensembles and it makes sense, so this is a break more than anything else. the hints of Scandinavian ridging also point towards renewed blocking once into the last couple weeks of the month. the -EPO/+PNA would also scour out any residual Pacific air relatively quickly, so there wouldn't be a week or two of delay, especially under peak climo

Careful about using those 10+ day ensembles. Any "signal" that you see out in that range should be treated with skepticism. It's fine to interpret what current model guidance is showing. But it should be well understood that those features have a good likelihood of verifying significantly differently than currently modeled.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That's if it's a favorable SSW. Not all SSWs bring cold/snow. 

• Like 2