• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

Don't give up on the 5th-8th as a winter re-entry event.  That appears a "pattern inflection" period. Not a bad time to go looking.

Longer read,

Until then, we hiatus ... how much/to what extent could be interesting in itself - of course... not likely to catch interest in this particular internet depot ( lol).  It is also iffy how extreme because the ambient polar boundary is oscillating NW-SE-NW etc not too far away.  Cyclic waves running along it from roughly the MV to our region or the Lakes. These will likely interfere some amount, some way. It does appear there are two main warm pulses...  one between D3 and 4/5, the next some 3 days later .. Then, it's over? 

The end time of this demonstrative positive departure interval has been interestingly quite stable both intra-guidance but also crossing.  Right around the 5th ..give or take.  After about that range, the overall model complexion illustrates relaxed flow +PNAP enveloping the continent.

That would be an interesting mode. The last 10 winters pretty much all have featured mid winter plagues of too many isohypses to count and concomitant baseline g-wind velocities so strong that we've been setting air-land relative commercial air speed records for intercontinental oceanic flights, like ...everywhere.  The thing with 'baggy' patterns that sort of look +PNA like: I've seen this in the past, ...and ancient past ( god am I getting old...). The models will create a kind of vague semblances of either + or -PNA's in an overall baggy flow, ...but then, as the time gets nearer, gradually more gradient emerges, and the reasserting pattern can take on more coherency.  This could be some of that... unknown.  The CPC numerical PNA is statically positive along or just shy of +1SD so...mm.  Thing is, any western trough could certainly be corrected if not booted east for that. There is an overall correction vector to raise heights along 100-130 W more than we're seeing in deterministic solutions, so long as those EOF/derivatives point that way.

La Nina appears to be weakening in the OLR distribution products since the last update... which was largely based upon November through mid December ( at most).  I'm not sure how that would happen without the an accompanying +SOI weakening... But, seeing as NCEP's put up a 70+% odds of establishing a neutral Basin by just a month from now, we may indeed be seeing that commencing.  I mention this for two reasons:

one ... there are longer range tendencies for MJO to actually penetrate E of the W. Pacific La Nina fire wall ...instead of getting to phase 7 and then summarily dying on the interface with 8.   I don't believe the MJO drives patterns and never have.  It's a modulator... But, that modulation only can happen if the surrounding hemisphere is in constructive interference.  It thus seems intriguing ( a little) that La Nina may be weakening ( if that's true.), and then modeled MJO coherency takes place. 

two ... the ocean-atmosphere in the Pacific has been very well coupled this particularly recent three month period.  It is what it is.  So long as that has been the case/trend, there may be some lock-step decay of the La Nina and the emergence of favorable winter enthusiastic January/latter.  I seldom venture into seasonal outlook territory, but I just keep sensing this appeal like the planetary system is competing with the La Nina ... it's like trailing by a touchdown and a field goal but your team just scored and the other side just threw an interception.  You have momentum on your side? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Don't give up on the 5th-8th as a winter re-entry event.  That appears a "pattern inflection" period. Not a bad time to go looking.

Longer read,

Until then, we hiatus ... how much/to what extent could be interesting in itself - of course... not likely to catch interest in this particular internet depot ( lol).  It is also iffy how extreme because the ambient polar boundary is oscillating NW-SE-NW etc not too far away.  Cyclic waves running along it from roughly the MV to our region or the Lakes. These will likely interfere some amount, some way. It does appear there are two main warm pulses...  one between D3 and 4/5, the next some 3 days later .. Then, it's over? 

The end time of this demonstrative positive departure interval has been interestingly quite stable both intra-guidance but also crossing.  Right around the 5th ..give or take.  After about that range, the overall model complexion illustrates relaxed flow +PNAP enveloping the continent.

That would be an interesting mode. The last 10 winters pretty much all have featured mid winter plagues of too many isohypses to count and concomitant baseline g-wind velocities so strong that we've been setting air-land relative commercial air speed records for intercontinental oceanic flights, like ...everywhere.  The thing with 'baggy' patterns that sort of look +PNA like: I've seen this in the past, ...and ancient past ( god am I getting old...). The models will create a kind of vague semblances of either + or -PNA's in an overall baggy flow, ...but then, as the time gets nearer, gradually more gradient emerges, and the reasserting pattern can take on more coherency.  This could be some of that... unknown.  The CPC numerical PNA is statically positive along or just shy of +1SD so...mm.  Thing is, any western trough could certainly be corrected if not booted east for that. There is an overall correction vector to raise heights along 100-130 W more than we're seeing in deterministic solutions, so long as those EOF/derivatives point that way.

La Nina appears to be weakening in the OLR distribution products since the last update... which was largely based upon November through mid December ( at most).  I'm not sure how that would happen without the an accompanying +SOI weakening... But, seeing as NCEP's put up a 70+% odds of establishing a neutral Basin by just a month from now, we may indeed be seeing that commencing.  I mention this for two reasons:

one ... there are longer range tendencies for MJO to actually penetrate E of the W. Pacific La Nina fire wall ...instead of getting to phase 7 and then summarily dying on the interface with 8.   I don't believe the MJO drives patterns and never have.  It's a modulator... But, that modulation only can happen if the surrounding hemisphere is in constructive interference.  It thus seems intriguing ( a little) that La Nina may be weakening ( if that's true.), and then modeled MJO coherency takes place. 

two ... the ocean-atmosphere in the Pacific has been very well coupled this particularly recent three month period.  It is what it is.  So long as that has been the case/trend, there may be some lock-step decay of the La Nina and the emergence of favorable winter enthusiastic January/latter.  I seldom venture into seasonal outlook territory, but I just keep sensing this appeal like the planetary system is competing with the La Nina ... it's like trailing by a touchdown and a field goal but your team just scored and the other side just threw an interception.  You have momentum on your side? 

Tip, you will be in charge of starting a thread when we get closer to "threat"...(unless your apprentice George starts one tonight etc. Haha) 

39 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Yep

Increased ocean temps = tsunamis and hurricanes .

Sooner or late NYC would have to worry about hurricanes more than snow.

I think all coastal areas have worried more about hurricanes than snow... since humans have built shelter on the coast.  

Hurricanes are much more impactful than snow, thus higher worry.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I think all coastal areas have worried more about hurricanes than snow... since humans have built shelter on the coast.  

Yeah outside or maybe being priced out, I don’t see a mass flock away from the coastal areas.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Longer read,

Yea, frankly ...I am just sitting out right now....given how high the frustration meter is, its going to fall on deaf ears, for the most part. There is a contingent that are just in full-tilt "obnoxiously defiant reverse psych mode" and are going to put up resistance to the mere notion that it will ever snow again. I just assume wait that out until they flip into extreme winter mode again once something becomes more imminent.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

As a general statement, that's not even debatable IMO.  Specific to, say NYC, I think that March 1888 took more lives in the city than did any hurricane.  (Sandy is tops?)  Maybe some extended heat wave would be the closest to that blizzard.

• Like 1