Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

8 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Impressive baroclinic cyclone making landfall along the W Washington coast today. Was analyzed at 968 mb on 

@NWSOPC

unified surface analysis at 1500 UTC.

Associated with storm-force winds & 30ft waves.

SNE - mid '50s with maybe some drizzle.

It was a beaut

JxFHXIP.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

‘12-13 too for coastal areas (interior had some good events prior)

But those years weren’t Ninas. Gotta hope for a year like ‘55-56 or ‘00-01 in the second half if we’re gonna do it in a Niña. 

The one positive we have going is the huge blocking that already showed up. Those types of blocking episodes tend to be a harbinger of future blocking later that same winter. Not always but more often than not. 

I’m not seeing much blocking though returning yet on guidance. Mostly just the PNA turning positive. 

1955-1956 is one of my favorite analogs.

Just now, Snowcrazed71 said:

Yeah I know. But I wanted to post the maps anyway. There's a chance. There's a chance

That’s a 10mb map…stratosphere level…which is very deceiving for him to post something like that.  Most non weather folks look at that and think that’s the surface, (or 500 mb) and will translate to the surface, and that’s certainly not a given at all. 

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lining up the quotes 

Kevin, this season could very very easily reach average levels for most all of us in SNE, no matter where we are currently on 12/27.  And it could easily go above average if we get a good run. 

I know you know this, and are spooning up conversation, trying to get the pros to chime in. Way better having the thaw now…than on 1/21.   

• Confused 1