Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

2 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

Not to piss anyone off, but this grinch was much better than some of the past. We got about 8” and the fake snow outlook looks decent the next few days. Major disaster avoided for the northern green ski resorts.

Definitely not as bad as 2020, as I agree there, but I think there are more without power this time?

Greater winter enthusiasm rests their hopes on 'model magnification' parlaying to just shit, as opposed to actually making them eat it.

There's a fair chance that something like amplitude bias could be in play.  But, we just are coming through a fairly robust spike in the PNA index, and wound up a big signal too far west.   I don't know if it applies to this PNA in general?  Maybe it does, and so perhaps this subtle relaxation (gosh forbid it goes negative!) could certainly flag a disproportionately warm signal over eastern N/A in the same vein.  That seems to be where the operational GFS ( and the ensemble mean from 00z through 12z runs weren't far behind, frankly) appears to be heading.  

A west biased +PNA --> -PNAP = ?

How much so, remains to be seen.    The other aspect I'm seeing is a tendency for 'buckled' flow up in Canada... I'm not convinced the hemisphere on our side is in the 'AA' phase...  That means we could end up with over top high pressure at times. 'Be looking for that.

Pattern post mortem:   I'm personally a bit surprised that we just traversed a 2.5 week steady rise in the PNA, culminating in a total d(index) of nearly +3 SDs, and this is all we really have to show for it.  We did something similar to this PNA modality back in the run up to the October 2011 event, and ended up with a historic snow storm before Halloween.   Nevertheless... I have 1.5" of crud and/or dust for that journey around this typically snowy part of N-central Mass, 1.5 months later relative to time of year.  The real troubling aspect is not the snow ... We saw the big bucket totals.  But that we witnessed a minimum of 3 complete -EPO cycles amid the favorable domain region, with a robust -NAO interim, and will finish the month above normal at SNE's 4 majors.    

f---ed

I was musing to self that perhaps this recent 'hemispheric event' ( which it really was regardless of myopic snow requirement which really means nothing to that veracious assessment), was so powerful that it in a way 'made up' for it all. But to do that in one dose meant too much power - again, symbolically. I would have taken half this beast and parsed it out a couple of times under the -NAO block we had last week, and we'd 'ave done just fine.  But we get this 'red spot' on Earth thing so anomalous is violates wave spacing climatology. Impressive.     

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

So what are you actually saying Tip….???? Lol. Hard to parlay all of that into normal English. :axe:

I’ve had a few adult beverages already…so maybe that’s part of it?

Merry Xmas all!  In the “can” posting boys….you all know the deal. :P

I just do it out in the open..now I’m solitary watching football 

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Greater winter enthusiasm rests their hopes on 'model magnification' parlaying to just shit, as opposed to actually making them eat it.

There's a fair chance that something like amplitude bias could be in play.  But, we just are coming through a fairly robust spike in the PNA index, and wound up a big signal too far west.   I don't know if it applies to this PNA in general?  Maybe it does, and so perhaps this subtle relaxation (gosh forbid it goes negative!) could certainly flag a disproportionately warm signal over eastern N/A in the same vein.  That seems to be where the operational GFS ( and the ensemble mean from 00z through 12z runs weren't far behind, frankly) appears to be heading.  

A west biased +PNA --> -PNAP = ?

How much so, remains to be seen.    The other aspect I'm seeing is a tendency for 'buckled' flow up in Canada... I'm not convinced the hemisphere on our side is in the 'AA' phase...  That means we could end up with over top high pressure at times. 'Be looking for that.

Pattern post mortem:   I'm personally a bit surprised that we just traversed a 2.5 week steady rise in the PNA, culminating in a total d(index) of nearly +3 SDs, and this is all we really have to show for it.  We did something similar to this PNA modality back in the run up to the October 2011 event, and ended up with a historic snow storm before Halloween.   Nevertheless... I have 1.5" of crud and/or dust for that journey around this typically snowy part of N-central Mass, 1.5 months later relative to time of year.  The real troubling aspect is not the snow ... We saw the big bucket totals.  But that we witnessed a minimum of 3 complete -EPO cycles amid the favorable domain region, with a robust -NAO interim, and will finish the month above normal at SNE's 4 majors.    

f---ed

I was musing to self that perhaps this recent 'hemispheric event' ( which it really was regardless of myopic snow requirement which really means nothing to that veracious assessment), was so powerful that it in a way 'made up' for it all. But to do that in one dose meant too much power - again, symbolically. I would have taken half this beast and pared it out under the -NAO block we had last week, and we'd 'ave done just fine.  But we get this 'red spot' on Earth thing so anomalous is violates wave spacing climatology. Impressive.     

You "muse to self alot "....I maybe taking new clients soon...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

So what are you actually saying Tip….???? Lol. Hard to parlay all of that into normal English. :axe:

I’ve had a few adult beverages already…so maybe that’s part of it?

Merry Xmas all!  In the “can” posting boys….you all know the deal. :P

Translation: Better luck next winter 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Over half a winter wasted before we even have a chance of it cold enough to snow. That’s assuming the pattern changes 

It's over.

59 minutes ago, weathafella said:

What’s behind you is the past.

In 2+ weeks the past will be just like today's present. This same scene will persist well into winters future.  

5 hours ago, qg_omega said:

image.png.992ccbf5741307b3e53f0c008b266944.png

This doesn’t say anything about how warm it will be, just that Jan will likely be above normal. There is a huge difference between say +2 and +8, we could easily still get a snowy January at +2-3, but +6 or more won’t work. Considering that the first week of Jan is expected to be a blowtorch the probability of the month finishing warmer than average being this high makes sense. It will be very difficult to wipe out a +15 first week.

One good aspect about the pattern ahead is that theses models are bringing several chances for hefty QPF into California.

It’s not likely to offset 30 years of desiccation … but for a region that may not be able to sustain population within mere decades anything helps. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Looks like things change after the first week or so. NNE may squeeze something in prior to that.  Seems on track. 

Yeah starting to slowly get better looks on the ensembles near the end. But we’re gonna have an ugly 7-10 days before that between 12/28-1/6 or so. 

• Like 1

Definitely seeing some light at end of tunnel. All you can ask for at this point. There’s a few hits in the Jan 6-8 range for NNE on GEFS. One East Coast HECS on GEFS and a few hits mixed in on the CMC ensembles. Not bad

Going to have to time shortwaves well. (More important down here in Philly), but need one wave to lay down some cold and have another timer and spaced properly

• Like 2