Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yes. 12z partially phased northern and southern streams which allows 1/23 to go nuts. We’d need a perfect thread the needle to get hit here….CNE/NNE get it on this run…they have a little more wiggle room but there’s still a risk of a stronger phase which would make it more of a pure cutter. But regardless, it allows us to reset the baroclinic zone further south for the next system so there’s some utility with 1/23 even if the system itself isn’t very snowy. 

the EPS is pretty much phased at this point, which is good for later on IMO even if it's a rainer for SNE south verbatim

ezgif-2-15826622c9.thumb.gif.87daa70581d7fb559251674fde74c141.gif

11 minutes ago, George001 said:

It’s a great run but I’d pump the breaks on blizzard potential in SNE, for CNE and NNE absolutely. I’m still going to track it though, I would be happy to be proven wrong about this winter. 

If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite would have to be right.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

the EPS is pretty much phased at this point, which is good for later on IMO even if it's a rainer for SNE south verbatim

ezgif-2-15826622c9.thumb.gif.87daa70581d7fb559251674fde74c141.gif

- be leery of that ending up too soon  

just sayn'      ... i guess all else being utterly unfair this season, we gotta start somewhere. lol

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

with that kind of storm there are places where 10:1 would be quite underdone no?

I mean more than that... The 300 mb features a classic jet entrance leaving New England, N and E of the area, while the 500 mb exit region with 100+kts torpedos up underneath paralleling the coast.

That's going to have some sort of intense banding and everything else filling in there with intance b-c leafing going on.   The models won't QPF that probably until it's in short term.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah I noticed you did ... I haven't exactly hated the notion - I've come by it from time to time.. BUT, I don't like the fact that we are lacking some +PP ( pressure pattern) for establishing the right thermodynamics. 

We need to have a DP inject into icing at 31.8  or it will flop to 32.4.... That's just physics - can't be avoided. BUT, establishing even minimal +PP N in VT/NH might get that inject ice enthusiasts would need, ageostrophic low level flow.  This event does not have banked cold - or I should say lacked it on previous model trends. 

Anyway, I wasn't going mention it because it's too marginal and there's not a lot of evidence ( until this run) that we can drain ageostrophically.

There will be a zone of sig icing. We just don’t quite know where yet . Maybe NW CT up into W Mass?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Of note, this is the first time all winter I think the models have shown more snow in parts of New England for run totals than they have in the Sierra.

Changes afoot? 

Absolutely , seems we will now see a nice gradient pattern over New England . With big totals where it’s snow and big melts if it’s predominantly rain in others .