Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Well....say 9" in early February with a 45" March....54" is not a rat. Its a continuation of my last several uninspiring seasons.

Say we run into a another 6" of fluke in Febuary.....near normal-

Yeah so basically 1956 ending…like I said. Agreed that would save it but even an awesome longwave pattern is unlikely to produce that result again. 

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah so basically 1956 ending…like I said. Agreed that would save it but even an awesome longwave pattern is unlikely to produce that result again. 

I mentioned that analog to you back a few weeks ago....it was one of my top analogs and December evolved very similarly. January has been much different, admittedly.

See, I don't think a 40" month is that big of a stretch. People like to toss around CC....one consequence of that that I think has been very apparent is the increasing tendency for the atmosphere to enter into really dichotomous "feast or famine" type of time intervals as it pertains to snowfall.

You deal that PV a death blow....let that marinade for a month until the wave lengths begin shortening and it gets interesting really fast.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I mentioned that analog to you back a few weeks ago....it was one of my top analogs and December evolved very similarly. January has been much different, admittedly.

See, I don't think a 40" month is that big of a stretch. People like to toss around CC....one consequence of that that I think has been very apparent is the increasing tendency for the atmosphere to enter into really dichotomous "feast or famine" type of time intervals as it pertains to snowfall.

You deal that PV a death blow....let that marinade for a month until the wave lengths begin shortening and it gets interesting really fast.

the -PNA also becomes less and less of an annoyance once into Feb due to the shorter wavelengths, too

definitely not sold that this will be a canonical Nina Feb. what about this winter has been canonical in the slightest? more like a Nino, honestly

2 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

the -PNA also becomes less and less of an annoyance once into Feb due to the shorter wavelengths, too

definitely not sold that this will be a canonical Nina Feb. what about this winter has been canonical in the slightest? more like a Nino, honestly

I mean, my forecast charts imply a big March...but don't get me wrong....I can see it going either way. I totally get how precarious the strat stuff is and this season could easily be another 2001-2002. I don't mean to impugn the efforts of those who dissent to the big March idea....totally possible.

• Like 1

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I mean, my forecast charts imply a big March...but don't get me wrong....I can see it going either way. I totally get how precarious the start stuff is and this season could easily be another 2001-2002. I don't mean to impugn the efforts of those who dissent to the big March idea....totally pssible.

you as well as anyone would know what came after 2001-02 with a flip to a pretty legit Nino... coming off of multiple Ninas

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I mean, my forecast charts imply a big March...but don't get me wrong....I can see it going either way. I totally get how precarious the strat stuff is and this season could easily be another 2001-2002. I don't mean to impugn the efforts of those who dissent to the big March idea....totally possible.

Some guidance is trying to show some blocking by Greenland in Feb. Not sure if I buy it yet, but it's not some crazy idea.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Some guidance is trying to show some blocking by Greenland in Feb. Not sure if I buy it yet, but it's not some crazy idea.

I was waaay too cocky about March back in 2018 and truth be told, I was just lucky that it actually worked out. It wasn't any stroke of genius. The rationale and work was valid, but I exuded far more confidence than was warranted. I learned not to do that really fast during the next two seasons, after falling flat on my face. All I will say here is that there is a path to redemption for this season, increasing March sun angle butt-hurt not withstanding.

We got two weeks left of January, the last week looks to change, and we still don’t know how February(which is 15 days away still) will shake out. Lots of uncertainty to go around for all. Lots of time left to Rat, or make up some ground.  At some point you’d think the complete bad juju would have to change somewhat too…law of averages eventually turns things from where we are now. 

• Like 3

Gonna be shoveling a lot of GGEM snow again this run…not just from the 1/19-20 event but from 1/23-24 too. Let’s see how large we can get the delta between the Euro and GGEM on total run snowfall. 

I feel like powderfreak posting ARW maps in Feb 2015….

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Gonna be shoveling a lot of GGEM snow again this run…not just from the 1/19-20 event but from 1/23-24 too. Let’s see how large we can get the delta between the Euro and GGEM on total run snowfall. 

I just saw it and was like WTF. LOL. What a weenie run.

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

and don't forget about 1/26! 

might be the best model run of the winter so far haha

16 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I just saw it and was like WTF. LOL. What a weenie run.

6 minutes ago, dryslot said:

dont-need-you-angry.gif.562b8cd43c314e4bdc00da2657faa7d9.gif

2 minutes ago, ma blizzard said:

and don't forget about 1/26! 

might be the best model run of the winter so far haha

But it nailed the pre XMAS eve disaster....of course.