Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

41 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

It was around in the late 70s and early 80s as well 

Yeah I guess that makes sense. I remember we didn’t hear about it for years and then all of the sudden the schools were all telling us to be careful of candy.

Maybe it goes in phases/cycles….you get a couple incidents and everyone freaks out for a few years and then it dies down until the next incident. 

My kids haven’t heard of anything like that yet so we must be in a down phase of compromised candy. The only memos we’ve gotten in the past few years were to double check that candy wasn’t accidentally edibles that someone handed out…lol. :lol:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Basically .. .teetering with a dystopian melt-down of society constructs - yup. I agree with what I suspect you are dancing with there...  To quote an oft' miss-used trope, we find our selves culturally fighting off a rather Orwellian stench.  It's sort of incarnate. 

There's a histrionic wave surging through modernity,  that is a stimulus response to all that is zapping the minds of the populations that constitute modernity... It's basically this simple:  take a community in a state of quiescence; destabilize the status quo significantly enough; panic ensues; stability dissolves.  That basic recipe we are witnessing, extended beyond a single generational time span is consistent with present global state of affairs.  Due to technology? - I don't want to impugn it like a fringe ideologue, but fact of the matter is..it matches a pattern that appears to recur throughout history.

So is borne a hypothesis of mine, venturing into anthropology of modern man (which I am a Meteorologist so it's a bit of a stretch HAHAHA)  But weather guys/gals tend to see patterns in shit.  I don't know.  But looking back across history... what has happened a decade or two (or shorter) prior to most of the large scaled states of duress (war)?  - a wave of unsettling information disrupted the status quo.  In more modern times, the radior preceded WW1 ...--> WWII became incensed and was really a continuation of the same hostility, but Industrial Revolution's tech began to alter humanity and provide even more informational resources that offered more corruption of assumption and lent to populous movements ..inevitably WWII.  Surveilance of foreign affairs became the paranoia affair of all the "world Pentagons" so ... we become Military response happy species - those that guide in part or fully within Industrial advantage.   But if we go back, paranoia and destabilization can be linked to the fall of the Roman Empire...  There are other examples.  War was preceded by waves of destabilzing senses of mass security. 

We are in that state with how the Internet has been transformative.   Hence the "prediction" may not end so well ;) ...I mean, if there's any truth to the former hypothesis.

Sooooo… how about them cold temps this morning? :whistle:

I work for one of the two main manufacturers of Halloween candy and I can assure you, Halloween is not going out of style. The category (I.e all manufacturers) +14% season to date. Granted, the majority of that is pricing flowing through but volume is up as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

.... accidentally edibles that someone handed out…lol. :lol:

I saw a CNN margin headline last week, ...some SE interior/rural woman ( of course the mug shot couldn't be more unappealingly grim and glower lookin,' like they always are if not also for affect...), was indicted on negligent homicide because her 18-mo old daughter 'found the pieces of candy'.  You know... tiny child, red pieces of candy.... Not likely a situation exercised in a great deal of restrain once the stash was found. Probably devoured the whole lot of it...  Of course it was interior SE U.S. rural, right -

You know, just a comment on social mores ... It's so fantastically delicious how we are not supposed to stereotype for what is 100% f*ing true  about whatever it is that is being absolutely and correctly f*ing labeled!

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I guess that makes sense. I remember we didn’t hear about it for years and then all of the sudden the schools were all telling us to be careful of candy.

Maybe it goes in phases/cycles….you get a couple incidents and everyone freaks out for a few years and then it dies down until the next incident. 

My kids haven’t heard of anything like that yet so we must be in a down phase of compromised candy. The only memos we’ve gotten in the past few years were to double check that candy wasn’t accidentally edibles that someone handed out…lol. :lol:

You could count on one hand the number of actual tainted candy incidents.  The media would have us believe it was constantly happening. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

It was 70’s and 80’s too. I grew up through the 70’s and 80’s, and that was happening then all the time.  

yeah...it's coming back to me. 

I was more raised 80s ...but staples and pin fragments ... weird stuff.  I wonder if any of that was traced back to the deviant psychotic - I don't recall ever seeing a news story about someone 'getting caught' tainting.  hm.   You know, I remember there was once a Tylenol scare back then, ...early 80s I think. Man I was young... but I used to get migraines ( aura kind.. actually still do from time to time) and that was back before NSADS like Advil.  Which neither work terribly well, but Advil is better.   Migraines ...they're a different kind of neurological thing where most over-counter pain alleviation are less useful...  But Tylenol was the only choice other than Aspirin, which really ...Asprini never helped me ever. In fact, it added nausea to a near death headache. 

wtf am I talk  oh yeah, there was a string of deaths because someone some how was getting cyanide into Tylenol containers.  You know, 'kill the pain'.  I remember being terrified that I wouldn't have any means at all to fight the extraordinary .. very very special kind of headache agony that can only be described to the listener by way of actually having the listener ...get a f*ing migraine.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

You get it on a pallet or something?  Freight truck just back up to your garage with a lift gate?

4 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lol.. I thought same thing . Who does that? Go to the store and buy it 

:lol:
Bought it from Amazon through Mars candy. It was significantly cheaper than buying it at target or something 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1