Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 2022 OBS/DISC

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

IF we keep the PV on our side of the globe, then it will probably be pretty cold if eventually develop a -EPO/-AO combo....even if PNA is negative.

Depends how negative, and also how stretched the PV is and in which direction.....these are the nuances that make ostensibly comparable analogs have relatively drastically different sensible weather impacts.

I am still very early on and haven't really looked at the pattern much yet, so keep that in mind.

15 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah, over. The -PNA will be persistent. It doesn't mean torch the whole time, but for a more wintry look this will take time. We see this every year. Congrats Rockies into Canada for now.

Yep until the week of Novie 25th. I would expect some good snows in the NNE ski areas by then. Then the natural progression south. I think after spending time looking at a lot of different information from different sources this December should offer a bunch of chances. Of course the coast is last. Good times in here as the inland folks hang on rain snow lines like Aroldis Chapman hangs curveballs.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Also want to be careful in overplaying the PNA correlation....we all have PTSD from like a -4 sigma PNA last December, but that is an outlier.

DecPNA correlation.png

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Depends how negative, and also how stretched the PV is and in which direction.....these are the nuances that make ostensibly comparable analogs have relatively drastically different sensible weather impacts.

I am still very early on and haven't really looked at the pattern much yet, so keep that in mind.

Yes, great post. 

It will be nothing like last December...let me be clear on that.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yep until the week of Novie 25th. I would expect some good snows in the NNE ski areas by then. Then the natural progression south. I think after spending time looking at a lot of different information from different sources this December should offer a bunch of chances. Of course the coast is last. Good times in here as the inland folks hang on rain snow lines like Aroldis Chapman hangs curveballs.

Lets get that RNA out of here faster than Judge leaving the Bronx this winter.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

LOL, just keep it more positively tilted so that when the AO hopefully drops...it squishes cold to the south. 

I am beginning to grow kind of conflicted because I am not buying all of what my sensible analogs are selling, despite how well they have worked this fall. I think I am going to modify them at certain points of the season by stressing analogs that I feel as though the sensible result will most closely resemble.

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

LOL, just keep it more positively tilted so that when the AO hopefully drops...it squishes cold to the south. 

Make sure the Aleutian ridge is strongly poleward....that seems to do the best job in pushing the good stuff south. LAst year, we had a pretty flat Aleutian ridge in December which probably didn't help with that huge -PNA. That was actually one of the bigger differences between last year and a month like Dec 1970 which also had a very negative PNA. You don't like to see those lower heights north of AK.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Make sure the Aleutian ridge is strongly poleward....that seems to do the best job in pushing the good stuff south. LAst year, we had a pretty flat Aleutian ridge in December which probably didn't help with that huge -PNA. That was actually one of the bigger differences between last year and a month like Dec 1970 which also had a very negative PNA. You don't like to see those lower heights north of AK.

This is where the eastward trend in la nina over the past month comes into play....it helps IMO. I don't expect that to change BC those trades are dying, and the western subsurface is warming. Although the eastern zones have certainly peaked...

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Let’s play devils advocate, how can this look morph into a torchy look (since 95%?obviously Hope it does this or that) to turn wintery 

Flatter AK/Aleutian ridge and deep -PNA would do the trick for torch lovers I think. 

• Thanks 1

Looked at similar correlation maps as Will last night. Let's go!. First year in many I delved deep into the rabbit hole that is LR forecasting. Casting the voodoo aside its my opinion only based on too much time doing research, ( recovering from the vid) that there exists an initial 6 to 8 week period of snow threats. At least it won't be as boring as it has been. Truly am pumped for Dec which rarely happens.  I like my chances usually late Dec to Mid Feb but after all is said and done I think Dec has a great chance.

39 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Strange that he unfollowed the Yanks on Twitter...maybe aggressive posturing in negotiations? I know none of the players were thrilled with him getting booed in the PS after hitting 62HRs.

That was fake news. Jeter said it best when we stink we should get booed. Shit I remember Mantle getting booed. Such soft peeps these days.

42 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Strange that he unfollowed the Yanks on Twitter...maybe aggressive posturing in negotiations? I know none of the players were thrilled with him getting booed in the PS after hitting 62HRs.

He’s gone! We can get 3 great younger players for that price anyways.

I can’t find the link to your winter outlook? 

13 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

He’s gone! We can get 3 great younger players for that price anyways.

I can’t find the link to your winter outlook? 

I couldn’t care less how they spend the money. Put the best team on the field as possible, “overspend” if they need to. So give me Judge. 

Too often fans care too much about player contracts as if they are playing GM from their couch. I want the best product on the field, that’s it. 

Looks like we upgrade GFS on 11/29. I got this from a former coworker. One thing to note:

"The GFS overestimates the accumulated snow depth for mixed precipitation
events with marginal temperatures and underpredicts for events with very
cold temperatures.  The undesired snow depth predictions are associated
with GFDL microphysics and the improper density used in the land surface
model for different frozen precipitation types.  In this upgrade, the land
surface model is addressed first by providing proper density to various
frozen hydrometeors."

https://www.weather.gov/media/notification/pdf2/scn22-104_gfs.v16.3.0.pdf

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1