Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring a potential important TV to East Coastal storm: Jan 17

Typhoon Tip

8 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Snow isn’t a team sport (your quote maybe a year ago?).

Even the chill VT guys like @powderfreak following phish on tour may pretend they are happy with cirrus while BOS gets 2 feet but we all know they want 2 feet at Stowe and rain in BOS. :)  It’s human nature and none of us can control the weather anyway. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

93 pages of posts for a piss poor event for 95% of the posters.

No more storm threads beyond 72 hours.  We used to be able to do it.  Now it’s like putting the Christmas decorations up for sale on Labor Day.weekend.

Who cares? It’s still a significant storm. If we didn’t have 100 pages for it in its own thread we’d have 100 pages for it in the pattern thread.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I am seeking the overall jackpot. Greedy. 

Overall jackpot will be out in western/northwestern NY state and adjacent Canada…but you very well may be the New England jackpot. That area is great on easterly flow.  

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Could be a really nice storm for every MA resident’s favorite NH mountain spot, North Conway. They are definitely due. 

Ratios prob trash there? 500 feet elevation 

Ive noticed a strong cut off between intervale and 1k in Jackson when I chase up there . SE flow dynamic cooling needs elevation 

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Even the chill VT guys like @powderfreak following phish on tour may pretend they are happy with cirrus while BOS gets 2 feet but we all know they want 2 feet at Stowe and rain in BOS. :)  It’s human nature and none of us can control the weather anyway. 

God I think I'm pretty chill (wife thinks too chill/laid back, ha) but I hate jam band music.  Not sure why but I'd rather listen to teen pop on the radio than Phish or stuff like that.

We don't pretend to be happy, we'd always love two feet of snow, but I think it's almost an appreciation of the climate you are in (almost cockiness/confidence) that causes the mellowing out or chill vibe with weather.  You start to know it'll snow at some point or you take satisfaction in knowing it's a snowy climate on the whole... no need to fret about it.  Where I sleep isn't the snowiest place but it gets the job done.  Where I am when I'm awake and the sun is up (like today I was up the road at the mountain from 5:10am until about 6pm), it's a pretty snowy place.  J.Spin also knows he'll jackpot locally in plenty of events.  You know the events that work best for your spot and know they'll eventually come (like this one).  I think you can already see a mellowing out of your worrying in your second winter up north.  Just wait till its like your 10th or 15th.  The more you appreciate the climate you are in, the more you start to lose the competitiveness of weather IMO.  That's when you can really gather round the fire and sing kumbaya :lol:.

Meteorology is also pretty damn fun and awesome to really dig into, which is why we are all here anyway right?  Seeing deeper meanings for why weather is the way it is and how it pans out.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stash said:

When I first moved to the area in the 90s, Alb averaged closer to 67". The last couple of 30 year climate updates have steadily dropped it to around 60 now, while most other northeastern cities have increased their averages. Just a lot of bad luck for them in the 2000s, outside of a few massive storms.

ALB does fine overall, but is one of the warmest and least snowy places in that region. It's much snowier to the east along the Rensselaer Plateau and to the west in the Helderbergs. Lake effect snow belts are not far west and the southern Adirondacks are just go the north. ALB is also relatively warm for that latitude. Only the Hudson river towns to the south are warmer and less snowy.