Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring a potential important TV to East Coastal storm: Jan 17

Typhoon Tip

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it looked a little less crazy amped at H5....but small differences. The small difference do matter, but it's hard to tell if they are real when they are small. Could be model noise. Hopefully we get another couple ticks colder and it would vastly improve the overall tenure of the storm.

The northern stream looked a bit weaker early on, It will matter here and anywhere else that's right on the edge, After a decent thump, 925mb looks to be where the problem is here as it gets to 0c/+2c.

39 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

What’s with the snow hole over the northern greens?  

The low level jet and warm conveyor belt head east up the coast while the mid-level banding and cold conveyor is way west.  We are sort of in no-man’s land for forcing as the storm occludes and the surface low goes east of us (keeping the Whites in a strong moist SE flow) but the mid-level lows go west of us so banding there is west of that.

If the system was vertically stacked we’d be golden on the west side of the surface low.

I like 5-10” up north here once upslope is in.  Say 3-5” dense synoptic and 3-5” NW flow.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm sure it will collect on a boat or buoy somewhere.

It does though...I've seen it.

I lived in Rockport Ma in my history, through a winter.  ...unmentionably distant history..   I recall a specific once occurrence of parachutes falling heavily upon the still harbor water - really still. They were making individual impact rings as though they were rain drops.  But they weren't melting right away.  The were visibly conserving as small slush blobs.  By latter Jan and Feb, the ocean water in the coves and harbors of the N. Shore can be pretty much life halting, death cold.  32 F water tucked in, unfrozen because see water needs to be 26.  So aggregate bombs kissing the surfaces at big enough that they probably form a dilution interface between their cryo-cores and the brine water, that doesn't penetrate.  Slush floats...  In fact, if it snows hard enough in that marginal state, I've seen the harbor turn gray. 

• Weenie 4

6 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Euro absolutely blasts through the area.  8-10 hours of precip?  Gets mix up to the Lakes region of NH

Yeah, have to hedge towards lower totals than the snow maps show because this thing is flying and in my personal experience monstrous rates are often predicted but then materialize as something less impressive. At least that was the deal further south in MD.

This is quite challenging. I'm not totally convinced yet we just full on torch down this way. It's certainly a concern but the GFS has been very persistent in wanting to pop that secondary and ever so slightly jogging southeast with everything. Meanwhile the NAM/Euro definitely want to go west. Looks like all the models are actually handling the main vorticity pretty consistently...looks like the bigger differences overall are with that shortwave digging through the Ohio Valley. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

This is quite challenging. I'm not totally convinced yet we just full on torch down this way. It's certainly a concern but the GFS has been very persistent in wanting to pop that secondary and ever so slightly jogging southeast with everything. Meanwhile the NAM/Euro definitely want to go west. Looks like all the models are actually handling the main vorticity pretty consistently...looks like the bigger differences overall are with that shortwave digging through the Ohio Valley. 

The only challenge is whether its 48 or 36 for a hi...doesn't matter, otherwise.

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH   MONDAY EVENING...    

* WINTER   STORM WATCH, HEAVY SNOW POSSIBLE. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF   3 TO 6 INCHES POSSIBLE.    

* WHERE...EASTERN FRANKLIN MA, NORTHERN WORCESTER MA AND   NORTHERN MIDDLESEX MA COUNTIES.  

2 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Kevin's been texting with extreme displeasure with this map.

It might be too generous if some of these solutions that have the ML warmth in here almost at go-time end up being more correct.

But he could also get 5-6" if things break right.