Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring a potential important TV to East Coastal storm: Jan 17

Typhoon Tip

7 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

It's really an ISO issue since Eversource is out of the generation business.

They are extremely worried about what will happen if we get a prolonged cold snap - we actually had a call with them earlier this week about it. 

Since a lot of it is a nat gas issue they should probably be everywhere they can telling people that if it gets real cold to turn the heat down to 60. No need to bust pipes, but if enough people went from 68 to 60 it would save a good deal of gas which could be put back into the electricity system. Doubt they'll try that, though. Now, if a few prissy folks on the Cape and Vineyard hadn't been tilting at windmills for the last two decades, we'd have a lot of extra generation power offshore for much of the cold events.

5 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I don’t recall ever hearing someone say they were jealous of Albany. 

Speaking as someone who grew up there, and now lives in Boston, it's actually a pretty nice place. Unless you want to live in a really big city like NYC, it's got almost everything you would want in terms of culture and access.

And as for the snow, I always found that the area that got the least snow was NE of Albany, say between Hoosick Falls and Greenwich. They often got shadowed something fierce.

Just now, SeanInWayland said:

Speaking as someone who grew up there, and now lives in Boston, it's actually a pretty nice place. Unless you want to live in a really big city like NYC, it's got almost everything you would want in terms of culture and access.

And as for the snow, I always found that the area that got the least snow was NE of Albany, say between Hoosick Falls and Greenwich. They often got shadowed something fierce.

I was just kidding. I’ve haven’t spent a lot of time there. Now Albany, GA I have more experience with and believe me, nobody has ever been jealous of that place. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I don’t recall ever hearing someone say they were jealous of Albany. 

Before I knew snow climo I used to always think they got way more than ORH did. I didn’t start figuring it out until maybe when I was about 13 or 14.  I had thought the same thing for Springfield too but the December 1992 and March 1993 storms both made me figure it out…but back then prior to internet, I hadnt realized Albany got screwed in Dec 1992. I didn’t read about it until a few years later. 

19 minutes ago, SeanInWayland said:

Spot on. Horrible shadowing off Mt. Equinox and the southern Greens. Totally different story 10 miles south of Hoosick Falls. Lots of relatively unknown microclimates.

24 minutes ago, SeanInWayland said:

Hoosick Falls one of the worst snow spots around..sneaky awful. 

2 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Hoosick Falls one of the worst snow spots around..sneaky awful. 

I think I really became aware of it in 1977-1978 (my last year in HS). We had a bunch of Noreasters that year and it seemed like every single time Albany got 10-12", and Hoosick Falls got like 3-5".

53 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I used to think Keene was a snowy spot.  Boy was I wrong 

I've made the drive over 101 from Peterborough to Keene many times. Often green grass on either side and a foot of snow up the hill. The microclimates of 1000' of elevation in southern/central New England are very real. There's also the northwest-of-the-Whites snow hole. It's colder there, but anything with an easterly fetch gets dried up. 

• Like 2