• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Storm Term Threat Discussions (Day 3 - Day 7)

WxUSAF

Biggest Euro run of our lives!

Torn on what it will show. The CMC is encouraging because it was so close to a monster storm. But the Euro is on its own and we are getting fairly close to gametime with some models showing snow fairly early Sunday. Have this nagging feeling it's going to cave.

• Haha 2

Nobody posted on GEFS?  Looks like a move south from the overnight runs and the coastal transfer probably has a number of farther south transfers just looking at the GEFS mean on TT with lots of isobar bagginess down toward the NC coast at 114hrs.  

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Nobody posted on GEFS?  Looks like a move south from the overnight runs and the coastal transfer probably has a number of farther south transfers just looking at the GEFS mean on TT with lots of isobar bagginess down toward the NC coast at 114hrs.  

Don't think anyone posted it because the snow mean is slightly worse. Definitely support in here for an event but not quite the widespread 4-8". More like a 2-5" with some nice upside.

1612299600-ZN6vueJMR9o.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TowsonWeather said:

Ugh.

Why do I get the feeling the Euro is gonna do that thing is does...where it caves to lesser models, but only when it shows us getting big snow first.

It it does that this will probably be the first time it did both of those things...in the same week, smh Let's hope not...that would just be trolling, lol

20 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Cmc 

ECBE38EB-36EB-4F4D-BF49-6EA0BF8DB92C.thumb.png.06c20e40739607c1c172fab47310e421.png

That looks a lot better than reality over here. Verbatim it rains for 12-15 hours. All guidance has the warming both at the surface and aloft along and mostly east of I-95.

The broader issue is the Arctic air is moving out and this system takes forever to evolve. The front end thump part is good. eff the damn coastal lol.

Current tally for the three storm model prediction in 5 days is little storm verified, moderate storm tonight into tomorrow gone, huge storm Sunday going away. We will see if they hit one out of three or two out of three. Either way, I’m grateful the other science methods I rely on for last 20 years Don’t have an average of 1/3 or 2/3. Vaccines are the rage now, glad they have a 99% effacy  rate. So many many other examples also. 

Used to be tubes and transistors everywhere. Now microdot miniaturization and phones we hold in the palm of our hands that not long ago filled an entire room. Models are still transistors and tubes. Far more emphasis needs to be placed on the 3 day and inside and stop wasting time and money on these 5-10 out tasks which are simply too precise to actually be of value.

Break it down into zones, say from Maine  to VA and east of mountains is zone A. Ditch the 20” snow graphics for 5+ and merely issue text that Zone  A has heightened opportunity for heavy snow in 5-10 days  and then get down to the very suggestive and explicit graphics come day 3

Not merely bitching but rather offering suggestions and solutions. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

Now...if everything else this month has basically gotten squashed...why not here with the more northern guidance, (possibly transfer included) possibly shifting south...this time into better position...as we get closer? I mean, shoot...January trend ftw? Lol

You're 100% right that's been the trend. That's what we have to hope for, honestly. It's why I'm still pretty hopeful (and the fact that it's the Euro in our corner). But it's still disconcerting to see so many globals showing the way we typically fail in Miller Bs - and we'd definitely shouldn't ignore that if we want to be clear-eyed and objective about this.

Just now, WEATHER53 said:

Current tally for the three storm model prediction in 5 days is little storm verified, moderate storm tonight into tomorrow gone, huge storm Sunday going away. We will see if they hit one out of three or two out of three. Either way, I’m grateful the other science methods I rely on for last 20 years Don’t have an average of 1/3 or 2/3. Vaccines are the rage now, glad they have a 99% effect rate. So many many other examples also. 

Please cite where you made ANY prediction at all 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Just now, WEATHER53 said:

Current tally for the three storm model prediction in 5 days is little storm verified, moderate storm tonight into tomorrow gone, huge storm Sunday going away. We will see if they hit one out of three or two out of three. Either way, I’m grateful the other science methods I rely on for last 20 years Don’t have an average of 1/3 or 2/3. Vaccines are the rage now, glad they have a 99% effect rate. So many many other examples also. 

This is a phenomenally stupid post.

The big storm isn't "going away".

You have to have a remarkable depth of ignorance about meteorology and modeling to think that the historic totals shown 5+ days out on one run of one model not verifying would be an example of a "failure" of modeling. Jesus.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, WEATHER53 said:

The best example is that you're a perfect 10 for 10 on the crazy post count in this thread.

• Haha 5

Just now, TowsonWeather said:

You're 100% right that's been the trend. That's what we have to hope for, honestly. It's why I'm still pretty hopeful (and the fact that it's the Euro in our corner). But it's still disconcerting to see so many globals showing the way we typically fail in Miller Bs - and we'd definitely shouldn't ignore that if we want to be clear-eyed and objective about this.

True it has been a trend...but the tomorrow potential went south literally because of an rogue short wave that didn't show up in Canada on all the guidance to enhance the confluence... until later on some guidance but earlier on other like the Euro.  it happens right?  millions of calculations in milliseconds for the entire world from sea level to 100K feet.  we can hope for whatever we want but atmosphere will not care.  but if you are going into to battle, you want the Euro on the front line.  hope I don't have to retreat that statement in a half hour