• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Storm Term Threat Discussions (Day 3 - Day 7)

WxUSAF

Just now, ryanconway63 said:

ICON took a step back in my opinion  

I agree as the run progressed past hr 90 the primary gets into a position similar to the GFS (Ohio). It’s a Miller B where we all would hope to cash in on front end thump as a big dry slot pushes through. 

Just now, osfan24 said:

I get it's the only game in town at the moment, but why are people literally freaking out about one run of the Icon 100 hours out? It's the Icon.

Well, we have to over-analyze and freak out about something until the GFS gets in range... would you rather people go back to extrapolating the 84h NAM? :lol:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Quasievil said:

I would say just analyzing trends and instead of hyping ourselves because of the EPS, understanding how it can fail here too.

If anyone in this sub thinks we have a locked-in HECS or even MECS at this range, with our luck, they're looney. I'm waiting for that one Euro run that loses the storm completely leading to board meltdown. We usually get at least one run like that for every good storm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, psuhoffman said:

I don’t buy the icon thermals. Low tracks from outer banks to 50 miles east of OC then due north to cape map before fading NE. That’s a good track this time of year for anyone 95 west. 

I am not as down on the Icon as others but I full heartedly agree that its typical thermal projections are rarely close to correct. 

Just now, caviman2201 said:

If anyone in this sub thinks we have a locked-in HECS or even MECS at this range, with our luck, they're looney.

Nothing is locked in, but I'll side with the Euro/EPS after what happened with the "big snowstorm" that was spit out by some models for tomorrow. And Euro/EPS has been rock solid for several runs now. Of course, adjustments or even a cave by the Euro is possible. But GFS has been slowly trending to it. I'll start to get concerned once the Euro wavers.

6 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

I get it's the only game in town at the moment, but why are people literally freaking out about one run of the Icon 100 hours out? It's the Icon.

on the flip side, there was a lot of irrational attention paid to the euro hecs/becs as well.  it's just simply too early, one way or another.  the only thing that's been pretty obvious is that we don't want the ull to be so far west/north that we end up with a dry slot/late transfer.  i find 500 to be the best map to look at (as a hobbyist) this far out.  surface maps tend to follow a sketch pattern as the event nears.  that said, i'd be real content with a 4-6+" snowfall...this region could use it.

• Like 1

Just now, 87storms said:

on the flip side, there was a lot of irrational attention paid to the euro hecs/becs as well.  it's just simply too early, one way or another.  the only thing that's been pretty obvious is that we don't want the ull to be so far west/north that we end up with a dry slot/late transfer.  i find 500 to be the best map to look at (as a hobbyist) this far out.  surface maps tend to follow a sketch pattern as the event nears.  that said, i'd be real content with a 4-6+" snowfall...this region could use it.

agree. and at this point I haven't seen anything that takes 4-6 off the table for many of us.  I am excited for just that alone. 

• Like 7