• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
STILL N OF PIKE

2 hours ago, klw said:

So about 5:30 I was finishing up my cleanout of the garage (a lovely weekend to be doing that might I add) when I took some wood out to put on the woodpile.  When I did this I discovered that a pretty large maple had broken at the base as was not on top of our two cars only because it was snagged up above on another maple.  Instead of going inside and cleaning up, I moved the cars and spent the next two plus hours working on bringing the tree the rest of the way down with an axe.  Sadly things were slowed by my axe handle breaking and my constantly being swarmed by bugs.  Good times.  Tree is still up, waiting for a decent breeze or a fixed axe.  I was making good progress with a crow bar to get rid of rotten bits. Sadly we are about to get a 7-10 split with the line of storms racing through as I think they would have done the trick.

96 topped things off at KLEB and 95 at BTV.  We are back to a humid 73.  I doubt we hit 90 here because as soon as the sun went behind the trees at 4ish we went from 97 to 84 in a span of 5 minutes. yes my sensor is in the pm sun for a couple of hours.

No chainsaw?

7 hours ago, klw said:

So about 5:30 I was finishing up my cleanout of the garage (a lovely weekend to be doing that might I add) when I took some wood out to put on the woodpile.  When I did this I discovered that a pretty large maple had broken at the base as was not on top of our two cars only because it was snagged up above on another maple.  Instead of going inside and cleaning up, I moved the cars and spent the next two plus hours working on bringing the tree the rest of the way down with an axe.  Sadly things were slowed by my axe handle breaking and my constantly being swarmed by bugs.  Good times.  Tree is still up, waiting for a decent breeze or a fixed axe.  I was making good progress with a crow bar to get rid of rotten bits. Sadly we are about to get a 7-10 split with the line of storms racing through as I think they would have done the trick.

96 topped things off at KLEB and 95 at BTV.  We are back to a humid 73.  I doubt we hit 90 here because as soon as the sun went behind the trees at 4ish we went from 97 to 84 in a span of 5 minutes. yes my sensor is in the pm sun for a couple of hours.

I can lend you  a saw.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, klw said:

Do you have a rope?

6 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

No chainsaw?

No, I don't have a chainsaw but I will likely get one at some point as I do have over 6 acres of woods.  When we lived in Peacham I had friends with chainsaws which is almost as good.

10 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Those are just ridiculous numbers. And it isn’t one coop. You already posted ORH further south. 1911 is the gold standard for at least northern SNE and into NNE...it’s just too bad we don’t have hourly obs to weenie-out over to look for wind direction and dews. 

It's all 3 NNE states.  Bridgton set the Maine record at 105 (twice) and the VT peak is also 105.  Also surprising is that except for always-high-minima ASH (and one morning in Franklin, NH) temps would fall into the 60s after all those 100+ afternoons.  I'd guess WNW or NW winds with modest dews and downsloping - for a week and a half!

Edit:  If that 76F low at PWM holds, I think it ties for their warmest morning on record.

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

It's all 3 NNE states.  Bridgton set the Maine record at 105 (twice) and the VT peak is also 105.  Also surprising is that except for always-high-minima ASH (and one morning in Franklin, NH) temps would fall into the 60s after all those 100+ afternoons.  I'd guess WNW or NW winds with modest dews and downsloping - for a week and a half!

I assume there were a lot more fields back then with the abundant tree cutting. I wonder how much that helped the region heat up and radiate at night. It tended to be more arid times back then too as the poor farming practices were beginning in the plains and we had fewer GHGs. So those airmasses coming from our west had to be extremely hot and dry...sonoran for like 2 weeks. Being deep in river valleys probably helped Keene and Franklin decouple while Nashua stayed a bit mixed. Of course there’s a “yore” factor where you sometimes have to ask if the data passes the smell check. Many had differing obs times and differences in instrumentation, siting, and observing methods. Maybe Chris has access to info describing what each site used during the history of the station’s existence. But there’s enough consistency in the numbers between multiple sites in multiple states to know these days and days of 100s were legit. 

18 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Edit:  If that 76F low at PWM holds, I think it ties for their warmest morning on record.

Probably going to get clipped by a midnight low tonight, but so far the low is 77 and would be a new record.

24 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I’m somewhat surprised that Portland’s never had a low temperature over 76 degrees! 

14 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I assume there were a lot more fields back then with the abundant tree cutting. I wonder how much that helped the region heat up and radiate at night. It tended to be more arid times back then too as the poor farming practices were beginning in the plains and we had fewer GHGs. So those airmasses coming from our west had to be extremely hot and dry...sonoran for like 2 weeks. Being deep in river valleys probably helped Keene and Franklin decouple while Nashua stayed a bit mixed. Of course there’s a “yore” factor where you sometimes have to ask if the data passes the smell check. Many had differing obs times and differences in instrumentation, siting, and observing methods. Maybe Chris has access to info describing what each site used during the history of the station’s existence. But there’s enough consistency in the numbers between multiple sites in multiple states to know these days and days of 100s were legit. 

Only 20% of all of New England was forested in 1911. Staggering if you think about it. No doubt being farmland had an effect. Anyone who lives in heavily forest areas knows the benefit of natural cooling. 

Wouldn't shock me if some folks witness a 12 F or more temperature burst between 10 and 11 am ( ~ ) ...

Hi res visible loop just has that look ...  distinct and pervasive clearing abruptly arrives west to east over the next hour...  Cool boundary is still well west with on-going deep warm sector only presently capped by MCS/linear debris about to peel off and expose the land to misty blue sky that shimmers in irradiance, and a conditional atmosphere with tons of thermal momentum ( sloppy...) .. it just 'feels' like cicada heat incoming

Today might 93/75 in backyards ... 72 at NWS tarmacs where it makes so much sense to calculate heat indices for civilians ( :axe ) ... someday, maybe...