Newest Member
    joxey
STILL N OF PIKE

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

7/19 100
7/20 100
7/21 101

Now that's how you do a heat wave.

It’s too bad we couldn’t have the wind be a little more westerly. ORH might have had a shot at 95 or 96. 

96 seems to be the cap for modern times. The airport hasn’t hit 97 since 1953...but I always wonder about the land use around there back then or siting. They hit 97+ several times in the first 5 years from 1948-1953 and hasn’t hit it since. They’ve only hit 96 four times since then. 

27 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s too bad we couldn’t have the wind be a little more westerly. ORH might have had a shot at 95 or 96. 

96 seems to be the cap for modern times. The airport hasn’t hit 97 since 1953...but I always wonder about the land use around there back then or siting. They hit 97+ several times in the first 5 years from 1948-1953 and hasn’t hit it since. They’ve only hit 96 four times since then. 

I wonder how this would've played out at the current site.

image.png

28 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah not sure that passes the sniff test... odd to do it frequently in a 5 year period and then never do it again over 60+ years.

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

I still say south to north and north to south.. not a meh summer but a yore in the making 

I don't want to take anything away from you as I know you take this to heart.... but NNE has been absolutely destroying SNE in "summer of yore" status.

You can say dews have been higher or whatever, but the records in NNE show this is pretty rare.  BML, MPV, MVL, HIE, BTV etc all added another day to the 90+ list that's reached double digits now at MVL and BML.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I don't want to take anything away from you as I know you take this to heart.... but NNE has been absolutely destroying SNE in "summer of yore" status.

You can say dews have been higher or whatever, but the records in NNE show this is pretty rare.  BML, MPV, MVL, HIE, BTV etc all added another day to the 90+ list that's reached double digits now at MVL and BML.

Now look up how many BDL. And then calculate how it should end up based on how they’ve caught up .. add in another tomorrow and several more mid week NNE won’t get . By the time it’s over. It’ll be a total 180

• Weenie 1

18 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I wonder how this would've played out at the current site.

image.png

1911 was so high end everywhere it seems. I bet the current site could’ve popped 98-99 based on the comparison to the airport during their overlap years. 

18 minutes ago, Dan said:

Speaking of 1911, there has to be some validity issues with this:

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 8.06.34 PM.png

Most of those are “legit”. But keep in mind those were the old Stevenson screen liquid MMTs...they read about 1F higher at max temp than digital ones nowadays. 

49 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Now look up how many BDL. And then calculate how it should end up based on how they’ve caught up .. add in another tomorrow and several more mid week NNE won’t get . By the time it’s over. It’ll be a total 180

Are these stats including the June 8th through 12th Heatwave and the Fourth of July heat wave?

53 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Relative to normal climo there’s almost no way BDL could come close to several of the NNE sites.  There just aren’t enough days in the summer. 

10 days of 90+ at MVL/BML is probably like at least 40 days at BDL.  And that’s not cherry picking hot sites... BML is over 1,000ft elevation.  You won’t sniff that at your elevation.

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Relative to normal climo there’s almost no way BDL could come close to several of the NNE sites.  There just aren’t enough days in the summer. 

10 days of 90+ at MVL/BML is probably like at least 40 days at BDL.  And that’s not cherry picking hot sites... BML is over 1,000ft elevation.  You won’t sniff that at your elevation.

Because of the ocean. Unfortunately SNE is an ocean influenced climate . Even deep interior like here. Up there it’s easy to roast . It’s why we high dew so easily and often . But you get the easier dry heat that warms quickly 

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

This has been a summer of bore here.  Warm. Nothing earth shattering. 

True but I mean I could probably say that for 95% of Summers thru September (weather wise) nevermind  late July . Maybe we can rip a Big Cat up CT river in a few? I’m just hoping for some monster swells so I can relax on the rocks and watch em crash or a cane I can chase 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Because of the ocean. Unfortunately SNE is an ocean influenced climate . Even deep interior like here. Up there it’s easy to roast . It’s why we high dew so easily and often . But you get the easier dry heat that warms quickly 

How does that explain BDL averaging 18 days of 90F a season compared to 3-4 on average up north at MVL/BML type sites?   

Its just been a hotter pattern up north relative to normal, it doesn’t have to be overly complicated.  It doesn’t happen often, that’s why we call it summer of yore.

So about 5:30 I was finishing up my cleanout of the garage (a lovely weekend to be doing that might I add) when I took some wood out to put on the woodpile.  When I did this I discovered that a pretty large maple had broken at the base as was not on top of our two cars only because it was snagged up above on another maple.  Instead of going inside and cleaning up, I moved the cars and spent the next two plus hours working on bringing the tree the rest of the way down with an axe.  Sadly things were slowed by my axe handle breaking and my constantly being swarmed by bugs.  Good times.  Tree is still up, waiting for a decent breeze or a fixed axe.  I was making good progress with a crow bar to get rid of rotten bits. Sadly we are about to get a 7-10 split with the line of storms racing through as I think they would have done the trick.

96 topped things off at KLEB and 95 at BTV.  We are back to a humid 73.  I doubt we hit 90 here because as soon as the sun went behind the trees at 4ish we went from 97 to 84 in a span of 5 minutes. yes my sensor is in the pm sun for a couple of hours.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, dendrite said:

A really strange month.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Those are just ridiculous numbers. And it isn’t one coop. You already posted ORH further south. 1911 is the gold standard for at least northern SNE and into NNE...it’s just too bad we don’t have hourly obs to weenie-out over to look for wind direction and dews. 

• Like 1