• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Chicago12
    Newest Member
    Chicago12

Tuesday 1/7/20 Disco snow event

All snow and at a good clip in Mclean. Temperature dropped 7 degrees in past hour. A bit of a surprise but a welcome and needed one.

3 minutes ago, H2O said:

And I’ll still say that the concern over sun and lack of clouds this morning did translate to why some areas can’t flip. Going from 28 to 45 mattered with this storm. It did for me. 

Gracias. I have noticed that those quick to dismiss that don't tend to live inside the beltways. I've watched enough of these borderline temp situations backfire or be really slow to get to snow in Balt City (especially in the last few years) that every degree north of 32 is really hard to get back at gametime...

Seeing attempts at a changeover to snow whenever the intensity increases a bit. You start to see some big, wet flakes mix in. As much as the lack of changeover is an issue, honestly the bigger issue is the rates just aren't there and the back edge is approaching. Even if it was all snow right now, it wouldn't amount to anything.

Just now, psuhoffman said:

I’ve noticed that it sometimes struggles with lighter precip at the start of an event and in those cases will default to surface temps. I don’t know if it takes a bit to calculate or if light precip is an issue for its algorithm but it does much better with heavier precip once an event gets going.  

That certainly makes sense. That's likely the issue. I still like that radar a lot. Just have to be wary early on in these types of setups. Enjoy the snow up there!

You can almost see a little pivot to the radar right now, which hopefully with get a tiny bit more cold air in here to change me over and also force some of the dark greens and yellows up my way.

Coming down really hard in Manassas, really thick flakes. Streets have caved.

14 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Haven't seen any rain in Columbia either since I got home almost 1 hour ago.

Steady light snow now.  Deck getting a little slushy, but everything else still wet.  

Seems to be picking up on the intensity. Liking it more and more. See you on the sledding hill. B)

2 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

Ian reporting all snow in Friendship Hts.

At 11th & G, 38/33 with some mangled mixing in

Mostly snow at Dupont Circle

3 minutes ago, Deer Whisperer said:

Just got my haircut and it’s looking very pretty. Mod to heavy SN, parking lot caved quick

Glad to hear your haircut went well!

All snow here; no real stickage yet.  35/32